Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1499 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 06:32pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 2) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Josh May 23, 2007, 05:45pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 2)
Bobby Phillipps said:
I like how there's a bit of a snippet of what the forum reads. Kinda like Google. It does seem a bit messy in some aspect. I just can't quite put my thumb on it. :~

Yeah, I think it looks a little too messy because there is too much info in the preview.... cut it down to a line or so.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bitmap May 24, 2007, 12:11am EDT Report Abuse
Brendan Gonsalves said:
How about adding a "status" for the users who are online.

Actually, I just thought of something.

How about there be some small text or a small graphic of some sort in the forums that shows whether that person is online. Maybe a small HWA logo, grey for offline, blue for online, or something.

Something to think about, eh?

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Vitaliy (Administrator) May 24, 2007, 09:29am EDT Report Abuse
Josh said:
Bobby Phillipps said:
I like how there's a bit of a snippet of what the forum reads. Kinda like Google. It does seem a bit messy in some aspect. I just can't quite put my thumb on it. :~

Yeah, I think it looks a little too messy because there is too much info in the preview.... cut it down to a line or so.

The snippets are a very useful feature I think because they show you phrases out of original post that match your keywords. Every real search engine has this in one way or another, while most forums just display subject lines which is definitely not enough in many cases.

I did shorten them a bit so they are up to about 2 lines.

I'm working on adding a way to search for the poster's name now. Is the date range feature sufficient for what you guys use it for?

Vitaliy (Administrator) May 24, 2007, 09:30am EDT Report Abuse
Bobby Phillipps said:
How about there be some small text or a small graphic of some sort in the forums that shows whether that person is online. Maybe a small HWA logo, grey for offline, blue for online, or something.

Hrm.. that's doable, although I was thinking about giving a blue HWA icon to moderators.

Bitmap May 24, 2007, 11:12am EDT Report Abuse
Vitaliy (Administrator) said:
Bobby Phillipps said:

Hrm.. that's doable, although I was thinking about giving a blue HWA icon to moderators.

I could dig that. :D

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
May 24, 2007, 07:17pm EDT Report Abuse
The new search engine is nice, a lot nice than it used to be ... good work. Although I still usually end up resorting to using query site:hardwareanalysis.com on Google to find specific stuff. :(

[code]:([/code]

CrAsHnBuRnXp May 24, 2007, 07:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Vitaliy (Administrator) said:
Bobby Phillipps said:

:)

CrAsHnBuRnXp May 24, 2007, 07:26pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
The new search engine is nice, a lot nice than it used to be ... good work. Although I still usually end up resorting to using query site:hardwareanalysis.com on Google to find specific stuff. :(

[url]:([/url]

Dr. Peaceful May 29, 2007, 02:29pm EDT Report Abuse
Nice improvements in the forum search functions. Good work guys. :)

B May 29, 2007, 05:05pm EDT Report Abuse
The Advanced Search is really nice.

Keep up the good work.

phil May 29, 2007, 06:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Brendan Gonsalves said:
I Advanced Search is really nice.

Keep up the good work.

DITTO :D

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Vitaliy (Administrator) May 30, 2007, 09:36am EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
The new search engine is nice, a lot nice than it used to be ... good work. Although I still usually end up resorting to using query site:hardwareanalysis.com on Google to find specific stuff.

You can't say "usually" when the new search has only been around for a few days :) Give it a few more tries - I think the quality of results should be better than what you would get from Google, considering the filtering you can do in the "Advanced Search".

Vitaliy (Administrator) May 30, 2007, 09:36am EDT Report Abuse
Brendan Gonsalves said:
The Advanced Search is really nice.

Keep up the good work.

Glad you like it.

May 30, 2007, 09:40am EDT Report Abuse
Oh, snap! I didn't even see the advanced search button! :P Kickass ... I retract my earlier statement!

Google be damned ...

CrAsHnBuRnXp Jun 05, 2007, 04:19am EDT Report Abuse
Mark Allen said:
McFly said:

[url]:([/url]

Or w/e the code is so that way a website link can be held within a word such as "click here" and have it redirect you to the given website.

Josh Jun 08, 2007, 04:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Here's something that should be fixed:
When you quote someone that has quotation marks in their name, the html gets messed up. (noticed it here http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/67230/#496297 )

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
CrAsHnBuRnXp Jun 17, 2007, 07:24pm EDT Report Abuse
This is more along the lines of what I was trying to refer too.

Thanks to ImageShack for [URL=http://imageshack.us]Free Image Hosting[/URL]

Jun 17, 2007, 08:41pm EDT Report Abuse
I usually don't mind having HWA handle links, but I do wish it would detect them better, some get messed up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_(film)

And all [code][/code] takes is a <pre> tag. :(

Vitaliy (Administrator) Jun 18, 2007, 08:35am EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
I usually don't mind having HWA handle links, but I do wish it would detect them better, some get messed up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_(film)

Fixed.

And all [code][/code] takes is a <pre> tag. :(

It's a bit more than that - it's <pre> with text inside without linebreaks replaced by <br> which is slightly complicated..

Jun 18, 2007, 06:10pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks for fixing the links. :)

I guess that's true, there's so many other things going on at HWA that something is bound to conflict ... didn't think of that. :blush:

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed. This topic has been recently discussed <here>. Please visit that thread for an answer to your question or to continue discussion.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.