Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 551 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 05:15pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 2) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>
Apr 11, 2007, 02:16pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 2)
Yeah, I don't mind if they get auto-linked, but I'd like the text of the address to show up just how I type it.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Apr 11, 2007, 02:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Vitaliy, I love you ... in a completely non-gay non-sexual way. :)

Bitmap Apr 12, 2007, 05:28pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
Vitaliy, I love you ... in a completely non-gay non-sexual way. :)

Public display of affection. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave, McFly.

[/kidding]

Would anyone object to flag icons next to names above a post?

[USA] Bobby Phillipps April 12, 2007, 3:29pm MDT etc...

Of course, replace [USA] with the actual flag picture that we have in our profiles. That might be a rather nifty feature, because I can never remember who is from where. :P I swear, for the longest time, I thought Water Drop (Adam K.) lived in the UK. :X

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Apr 12, 2007, 05:34pm EDT Report Abuse

Bitmap Apr 12, 2007, 05:34pm EDT Report Abuse
Yes!!

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Vitaliy (Administrator) Apr 12, 2007, 06:43pm EDT Report Abuse
Bobby Phillipps said:

I've been planning to do this just the way McFly mocked up above. I just need to finish up some other things first.

Given the diversity of HWA's members I think it would be quite appropriate to show off the flags.

Josh Apr 12, 2007, 09:48pm EDT Report Abuse
Bobby Phillipps said:

Sounds like a great idea!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
leastcmplicated Apr 12, 2007, 10:12pm EDT Report Abuse
any update on the not staying logged in issue? i mean flags by our names is cool and all... but damn this is annoying

Vitaliy (Administrator) Apr 12, 2007, 10:26pm EDT Report Abuse
leastcmplicated said:
any update on the not staying logged in issue? i mean flags by our names is cool and all... but damn this is annoying

Are you still having issues with this if you use the "login" button up on top?

Edit:

I see that you logged in through "reply" screen so that's the reason why you wouldn't stay logged in. It has always been that way, you just never noticed because, well, you never logged out. More in http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/66140/?l=1 thread.

Josh Apr 12, 2007, 11:16pm EDT Report Abuse
leastcmplicated said:

It doesn't bother me... FF automatically saves previously entered info, so when I come to HWA, all the info is already entered. Do you have that feature turned off?

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
CrAsHnBuRnXp Apr 12, 2007, 11:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Great idea Bobby. I love it. Be easier to help someone out thta is from the UK or wherever so that way we can point them in the right direction for links to computer e-tailers.

Bitmap Apr 13, 2007, 12:06am EDT Report Abuse
Mark Allen said:
Great idea Bobby. I love it. Be easier to help someone out thta is from the UK or wherever so that way we can point them in the right direction for links to computer e-tailers.

I was just thinking it'd be convenient for us people who think people in the UK are in Canada, and people in Canada are in the UK. I can never keep anyone straight.

McFly, you're from Mars, right? Or was it Barbados... :~

________
Bitmap Apr 13, 2007, 02:33am EDT Report Abuse
Uh oh... Emails aren't links anymore! :O (See Mark's and my sigs) Was this deliberate, or a result of changing up the way URLs work?

________
Adam Kolak Apr 13, 2007, 12:32pm EDT Report Abuse
I thought Water Drop (Adam K.) lived in the UK.

I confuse where people live sometimes too.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Josh Apr 13, 2007, 02:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Adam K. said:
I thought Water Drop (Adam K.) lived in the UK.

I confuse where people live sometimes too.

Same here

phil Apr 13, 2007, 04:28pm EDT Report Abuse
what's the life span of a HWA cookie? .. cause, i can 100% reproduce lost logins if i take to long typing during a reply.

goes like this:
i reply to a thread not logged in entering my login and pass
while still logged in from my first reply, reply to a 2nd thread
. NOW. if i take too long typing during that 2nd reply (reply page says From:Phil Verhey.. logged in supposedly) .. when i hit "Post" .. i get the 'you're not logged in, press back and please enter a valid user name and password page' .. if i push "back" on my browser, im brought back to the same reply page, that says im logged in, with my text still there (90% of the time) .. and if i try to post again, i get the same "not logged in"... so i am forced to COPY my post, then when i navigate away to the HWA homepage, im no longer logged in.. i then have navigate back to the thread, and reply with my clipboarded text... providing when i hit back the text was there to copy.

.. this is very very annoying for 2 reasons.
1. i was logged in, and have 6 extra steps just to post.
2. i took too long to post for a reason,, it was a big ass post, and or heavily researched post, and took alot of effort.. and to hit back, and for it to be gone.. is very upsetting, and discouraging.

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Vitaliy (Administrator) Apr 13, 2007, 04:35pm EDT Report Abuse
Phil verhey said:
what's the life span of a HWA cookie?

25 minutes, and I just increased this to 1 hour.

Note that this is really for security reasons - if you walk away from your computer you want your session to eventually time out so someone else doesn't hijack it.

If you are at home and trust everyone using your computer then you should use "[x] stay logged in" option.

i reply to a thread not logged in entering my login and pass

As I mentioned, Reply login screen does not have a "[x] stay logged in" option so if you login that way you will eventually get auto-logged out after a period of inactivity.

Other than increasing timeout period to 60 minutes just now none of these things have been changed in months or even years. There was a bug that surfaced for the past month that would remove your "stay logged in" cookie, particularly if you used IE and never visited the home page. This was fixed last week.

FordGT90Concept Apr 19, 2007, 04:18am EDT Report Abuse
I don't know if it has been said but I advise changing the MSN/Hotmail display in the profile to be "user at domain dot com" instead of user@domain.com which bots will grab and use to rape your email account. I think a bot already grabbed mine from this site so I removed the MSN/Hotmail link. I haven't seen anything new since.

phil Apr 19, 2007, 12:10pm EDT Report Abuse
maybe i got a lucky email address, cuz i get almost none (like 2 junkmails a week in my junkmail folder.. none in my inbox) .. and my email is cached my google for frig sakes... it's all over the damn place.. including several times in here at HWA..

i almost feel left out :(
here botty bot bot, here boy! come get it! ptverhey@hotmail.com .. here boy!

personally i like not having the "at" , "dot" com .. i prefer the @.com .. but maybe that's because bots hate me :(

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Josh Apr 19, 2007, 04:18pm EDT Report Abuse
What about showing Article discussions in the 'Latest Topics' page?

Right now, the only place to find them is in the little box on the side (or by going to each individual article).

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed. This topic has been recently discussed <here>. Please visit that thread for an answer to your question or to continue discussion.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.