Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 495 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 08 - 07:08am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Mobile Phones / Providers /

iPhone oMg 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
A_Pickle Nov 12, 2007, 11:12am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: iPhone oMg
Adam K.
The iPhone is a Pocket PC phone running OS X Mobile which is severely limited.

I'd like to know where you get that idea.

Adam K.
It lacks many simple features such as a keyboard, a MicroSD slot for expansion, and software support from outside of Apple.

In it's defense, it has 8 GB of internal storage -- which is light-years beyond many Windows Mobile Smartphones and Pocket PC's (most of which have a measly 64 MB of internal space, a few have "big" reserves of 256 MB, and then ALL Windows Mobile Smartphones/Pocket PC's have asstons of bloatware largely taking up most or ALL of that internal space). You won't get 8 GB of space on any Windows Mobile Smartphone/Pocket PC without multiple external storage cards... and you can lose those, forget what data is on what, etc. Internal storage is also, obviously, a good deal faster.

While I agree with the idea that the iPhone should have external storage capability, I don't think it's a deal-killer, particularly given that most people don't use more than one expansion card, the largest of which are up to 4 GB now.

An external keyboard isn't terribly necessary -- the iPhone's onscreen keyboard should more than handle the typing needs of any user. Undoubtedly, if you owned an iPhone, you'd figure out how to max out your iPhone typing skills... as with any phone.

As far as software support from outside of Apple... that's hardly an argument. There's very little worthwhile Windows Mobile software out there.

Adam K.
It's just simply everything we had before, with bigger buttons on the interface and a more finger print hungry case.

It's also a vast improvement on everything we had before, with multi-touch, seven hours of VGA video playback, a FULL DAY of music playback, and roughly eight hours of web browsing.

My phone, a Windows Mobile 5.0-powered Sprint PPC 6700 gets about 20 minutes of web browsing + music playback before it's ALMOST DEAD. I also don't have multitouch, and it's damn near impossible to type WITHOUT my stylus or keyboard on my phone. One-handed texting is near impossible. And my text messages are kept in a giant folder, unlike the iPhone's, which are kept in tandem as conversations.

DublinGunner
Touch screens have been done before, all the features have been done before

Visual voicemail has not been done before. A self-adjusting screen according to mere orientation has not been done before. Multi-touch, has not been done before. A responsive, good-looking mobile interface has not been done before.

[b][/b]
iPhone not only doesn't support video recording (the lens quality is poor to begin with), it doesn't have java, flash, gps, multilanguage, polyphonic/custom ringtones, IR, usb, voice dialing, radio, and of course no 3G (HSDPA) support... that's just to name a few.

MOST Windows Mobile phones don't have a GPS (apart from the E911 GPS locator), and most Windows Mobile phones have far WORSE quality than the iPhone's camera. The lack of voice dialing isn't a particularly killer feature -- most people don't use it, and if they do, they're weird. I hate voice dialing, it's much easier and more private for me to sift through my contacts and call someone with my non-responsive, single-touch input screen.

I have no idea why you think the lack of infrared is a bad thing -- that's an old, slow, inconvenient and vestigial bus that simply takes up power and space on modern phones. Most modern PC's don't even have an IR transmitter.

Radio? Most Windows Mobile phones don't have that, either. In fact, I don't know of any that do. And 3G is expected on up-and-coming iPhones.

For it's competing audience, the iPhone blows the competition out of the water. Anyone who's used Windows Mobile and likes it in comparison to OS X Mobile has got to be off their rocker. Mine crashes fairly regularly.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dublin_Gunner Nov 12, 2007, 11:27am EST Report Abuse
You seem to be stuck on this idea of 'Windows Mobile' when very few people in this thread have even mentioned it.

Simply compare the iPhone to most modern mobile's and you'll see the shortfalls.

i.e. pretty much any of the Nokia N range are more feature rich than the iPhone.

Also, screen orientation. Yep. I can see the benefits should I pick my phone up upside down. I have my own solution for this - turn the phone around the right way, its a free feature of most phones these days.

BTW - exactly who is going to leave you visual voicemail? And what providers support the feature? And can it be sent from another mobile phone?

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
TamTheBam Nov 12, 2007, 11:39am EST Report Abuse

It's an overpriced brick!

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
_MD_ Nov 12, 2007, 12:07pm EST Report Abuse
DublinGunner said:
You seem to be stuck on this idea of 'Windows Mobile' when very few people in this thread have even mentioned it.

Simply compare the iPhone to most modern mobile's and you'll see the shortfalls.

i.e. pretty much any of the Nokia N range are more feature rich than the iPhone.

Also, screen orientation. Yep. I can see the benefits should I pick my phone up upside down. I have my own solution for this - turn the phone around the right way, its a free feature of most phones these days.

BTW - exactly who is going to leave you visual voicemail? And what providers support the feature? And can it be sent from another mobile phone?

I was just about to write a reply, but DG put my thoughts on paper seconds faster.
That's exactly right, who compares iPhone to windows mobile phones?
And visual voicemail too... pfff....

A_Pickle said:
I have no idea why you think the lack of infrared is a bad thing -- that's an old, slow, inconvenient and vestigial bus that simply takes up power and space on modern phones. Most modern PC's don't even have an IR transmitter.

I agree, IR is abit outdated, but did you know that most of high end printers have IR port? You know why? So that you can print an image right off you cellphone via IR. And what about a little older devices that are lacking bluetooth or wifi support, how would you share files/contacts with them? On several occasions even on my old SE I had to use IR to synchronize files with an old Dell ppc.

Radio? Most Windows Mobile phones don't have that, either. In fact, I don't know of any that do.

Again, we're not talking about windows mobile... I had radio on my SE and on nokia. It is a really useful feature when you're in need of urgent news.

And 3G is expected on up-and-coming iPhones.

Huh? Only one line in support of 3G???? 3G evolution is inevitable and iphone users will be... just left out. Yeah and of course they will come out with 3G support in later versions, but by the time they will, there will tons of other features that iphone will be missing.

In order to keep this topic safe from insisting on one's point of view, I think it's up to a reader to decide on the phone best suitable for him. If you're into latest fashion and eye candy, iphone is your sure bet. But if you're a bit more technology savvy, demand high quality, reliability and compatibility with everything and everywhere then you're joining the nokia n series crowd.

___________________MD_____________________
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333177
_______ Full system specs in user profile ________
TamTheBam Nov 12, 2007, 12:22pm EST Report Abuse
Well i'd rather have this MOBILE: http://jurmo.us/log/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/1993-202compact.jpg It's about as mobile as you can get! And to be honest, it does what
a mobile's supposed to do. MAKE CALLS! Nothing more!

Plus this mobile will keep you fit as it weighs about 10kg, and will give you a huge
muscular left arm!

_MD_ Nov 12, 2007, 12:33pm EST Report Abuse
Tam, it redirects to http://jurmo.us/images/dontsteal.jpg ... :~

A_Pickle Nov 12, 2007, 01:05pm EST Report Abuse
DublinGunner

Largely because, non-Palm/Windows Mobile/Blackberry phones... are terrible. Call me crazy, but I hate phones with a propriety, unsupported, non-customizeable OS. That's... just about any phone that isn't Palm, Windows Mobile, or Blackberry. No way to add applications that aren't free, no way to add music without V-Cast or similar proprietary stores... the "typical phone" these days... sucks. In America, anyways.

I don't want a phone with a bunch of features in it -- I want the ability to add features. I want to be able to read Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel documents, and conduct simple edits to them. I want to be able to read and do form-fill on Adobe PDF's. I want to be able to read my e-mails, and sync my contacts to my Windows Vista Contacts. And I want a phone that lasts longer than 20 minutes while surfing the web.

I realize that there aren't many ways to customize an iPhone... yet. But I have no doubt in my mind that an iPhone SDK is in the works.

DublinGunner

Suit yourself. I'd rather surf the web in landscape view on a mobile device, but I suppose rather than accommodate me, I should be forced to view web pages like I'm reading a scroll. Or maybe I'd like to watch a video landscape-wise, so it accomodates the majority of screenspace. Or I'd like to view pictures that way too... possibly because that's the way my computer is.

But my contact list? It'd be far more efficient to have that to be taller than it is wide, so I'd use it that way.

I guess you're right. It's much better to have a static, rigid interface that doesn't conform to my needs. Good thing I'm not left-handed.

DublinGunner

Visual voicemail is a bad Apple marketing term for a much more beautiful thing. It has nothing to do with video voicemails or video calls... and everything to do with being able to play back voicemails however and whenever you want. No more waiting for the stupid robot lady to get done with her oratory speech, "You - Have - One - New - Voicemail... First - New - Voicemail... Received - on - Tuesday, October - 14th - at Nine - Oh - Four AM - from - "Mark Smith,"..." and finally you get to hear what Mark says.

The iPhone has a nice list, like a list of e-mails, but they're voicemails. And, rather than in the voicemail, the information of who left it and when they left it is displayed onscreen. So you just pick and choose what voicemail to listen to, when.

_MD_
And what about a little older devices that are lacking bluetooth or wifi support, how would you share files/contacts with them?

Probably from the dock, which has a USB cable...

_MD_
Yeah and of course they will come out with 3G support in later versions, but by the time they will, there will tons of other features that iphone will be missing.

Knowing Apple, I highly doubt that.

john albrich Nov 12, 2007, 02:19pm EST Report Abuse
A_Pickle said:
...particularly given that most people don't use more than one expansion card, the largest of which are up to 4 GB now....

I've seen 8GB cards for under $100, and memory card tech is just going to increase capacity very quickly.

I believe once the video phone capability is provided, the lack of a replaceable battery is going to be a big problem. Not only will the user be unable to change the battery in the field, but it will cause increased re-charging frequency which will shorten the life of the lithium cell. Lithium cells do have a finite number of recharge cycles, and generally last even shorter the more you deplete them before recharging.

TamTheBam Nov 12, 2007, 02:33pm EST Report Abuse

Oh so is Apple doing this non replacable battery the same way as iPods?!
That's well bad. Bit of a scam. I love my Nokia N95!!!!

_MD_ Nov 12, 2007, 03:03pm EST Report Abuse
Tam-the-Bam said:
I love my Nokia N95!!!!

Welcome to the club... =))))

Bitmap Nov 12, 2007, 03:47pm EST Report Abuse
LG's VX10000 The iPhone Killer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlYYZAII2f8

I'll be getting a new phone in September 2008, when my contract is up, so I'll probably get that, or, if they've upgraded again, the next model up (VX11000?)

I have the VX9800, and I love it. :)

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Adam Kolak Nov 12, 2007, 05:16pm EST Report Abuse
Bobby Phillipps said:
LG's VX10000 The iPhone Killer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlYYZAII2f8

I'll be getting a new phone in September 2008, when my contract is up, so I'll probably get that, or, if they've upgraded again, the next model up (VX11000?)

I have the VX9800, and I love it. :)

If it ran Windows Mobile 6, I would get it in a minute (I currently have Verizon Wireless).

edit: Holy crap, it has another screen in the inside...damn

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Dublin_Gunner Nov 12, 2007, 06:04pm EST Report Abuse
A_Pickle said:

Largely because, non-Palm/Windows Mobile/Blackberry phones... are terrible. Call me crazy, but I hate phones with a propriety, unsupported, non-customizeable OS. That's... just about any phone that isn't Palm, Windows Mobile, or Blackberry. No way to add applications that aren't free, no way to add music without V-Cast or similar proprietary stores... the "typical phone" these days... sucks. In America, anyways.

Huh??? I dont know what type of mobiles you've been using. But I can add music by simply blue-toothing them over, or via the included data cable (USB) or even have them sent via multimedia message using, guess what?? Yep, 3G. (in fact, I've had different 3G mobiles for around 3 years now)

I'm not sure I even want a 'customisable OS' in my phone............

I don't want a phone with a bunch of features in it -- I want the ability to add features. I want to be able to read Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel documents, and conduct simple edits to them. I want to be able to read and do form-fill on Adobe PDF's. I want to be able to read my e-mails, and sync my contacts to my Windows Vista Contacts. And I want a phone that lasts longer than 20 minutes while surfing the web.

My N70 does ALL of that.

Suit yourself. I'd rather surf the web in landscape view on a mobile device, but I suppose rather than accommodate me, I should be forced to view web pages like I'm reading a scroll. Or maybe I'd like to watch a video landscape-wise, so it accomodates the majority of screenspace. Or I'd like to view pictures that way too... possibly because that's the way my computer is.

Admit it, its a fancy pants, un-needed feature thats obviously an added expense just to look nice.

BTW, I can look at my pics landscape if I want......

But my contact list? It'd be far more efficient to have that to be taller than it is wide, so I'd use it that way.

Personla opinion I guess, I prefer mine portrait

I guess you're right. It's much better to have a static, rigid interface that doesn't conform to my needs. Good thing I'm not left-handed.

Yeah, those right handed phones are a pain..................

DublinGunner

Visual voicemail is a bad Apple marketing term for a much more beautiful thing. It has nothing to do with video voicemails or video calls... and everything to do with being able to play back voicemails however and whenever you want. No more waiting for the stupid robot lady to get done with her oratory speech, "You - Have - One - New - Voicemail... First - New - Voicemail... Received - on - Tuesday, October - 14th - at Nine - Oh - Four AM - from - "Mark Smith,"..." and finally you get to hear what Mark says
The iPhone has a nice list, like a list of e-mails, but they're voicemails. And, rather than in the voicemail, the information of who left it and when they left it is displayed onscreen. So you just pick and choose what voicemail to listen to, when.

So either A) your mails are stored on your phone, (in other words an answering machine, how beautiful......), or B) its network specific. Either way - a bit useless. The extra 2 seconds doesnt really bother me....

Knowing Apple, I highly doubt that.

Ah yes, because as they've shown so far, they like to include everything ;)

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Suspended User Nov 13, 2007, 03:50am EST Report Abuse
The iPhone can not even send a text message....a basic function of any mobile phone.

A_Pickle Nov 13, 2007, 04:06am EST Report Abuse
Yes... it can. I have no idea where you got the idea that it can't. And all of the texts are kept in their separate conversations for organization.

adam Nov 13, 2007, 04:22am EST Report Abuse
The Iphone send text, Picture , emails , blue tooth enabled Wyfi enabled and a lot more. Cool idea just lacks the memory I would want.

AMD 6000+ @ 3.3 Ghz
Corsair XMS 2 - 2 gig DDR 2 800 @ 880 4 4 4 12 2.1 volts
8800 GTX KO @ 630/1575/2106
vista home premium x64
Enermax 650 watt 39 amp 12+ rails PSU
320 gig sata 2 300 mb 16 meg cache
2 gig 200x flash in readyboost
_MD_ Nov 13, 2007, 09:55am EST Report Abuse
Before you buy, just keep in mind:

1. Bluetooth works only with accessories. Forget about BT file transfer.
2. No file manager. All data is organized within supplied applications (ibreak)
3. Camera ... Camera leaves much to be desired
4. SIM card can hardly be taken out
5. Web-browser manages to be slow even on a WLAN connection. Simple websites and web applications opening in at least 20seconds. No copy & paste, can't save pictures from the web. A plus might be the presence of tabs (which nonetheless tries to "hang" too on every available occasion) Browser is the only application where keyboard works in the widescreen mode.
6. Virtual keyboard is not that great either. Can't "blind" type with one hand.
7. Can only attach one picture to an email.
8. Can not use your own ringtones.
9. Absolutely no games (due to the absence of java and flash)
10. No changeable battery (remember iPod?)
11. No speeddial
12. No video;
13. No MMS;
I'm just repeating myself here

But after all said and done, I gotta agree with A_Pickle in
It really is a revolutionary piece of technology though -- and you're not a sheep for going out and getting one. Apple has done something new in the telecommunications industry: They've innovated. They've come out with something different, better, and revolutionary.
That it is true. But lacking way too many of the modern hi-tech feats. (Although they are in no way innovative nor revolutionary - touch screens were used many many years before. Their dual-sensing displays manufactured by Samsung were invented and applied long time ago too) But it started a fashion wave that now every mobile developer tries to imitate (so called iPhone killers) OR at least have the same concept of fully touch screen display with virtual keyboard but with many added tech features. I for one, never owned an apple product in my life... But it is targeted for the general public who could care less about the newest hi-tech feats but rather their ego and the right to say now I'm cool too because I own an apple product motivates them to make Apple $800 richer.

Dublin_Gunner Nov 13, 2007, 10:04am EST Report Abuse
May I condense your post??

It looks good, but its crap compared to most other phones

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Duncan Bladen Apr 28, 2008, 10:29am EDT Report Abuse
i had an orange [htc] spv c600 18 months ago , that had windows mobile , and most of the i phone features , cept touch screen , wish i had kept it . on the touch screens - my friend has had 3 k850i , returned cos of faulty screens in 3 months

asus h87m-e, i3 4130, 4gb ddr3 , 320gb hd , dvdrw ,coolermaster 500w power, zalman z3 plus case ,

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.