Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1338 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 02 - 11:14am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

ATI Radeon HD 3870X2 1 GB!!! this thing is a BEAST!!! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 29, 2008, 09:54pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: ATI Radeon HD 3870X2 1 GB!!! this thing is a BEAST!!!
I thank you for what you have said to get some people around here straight. i swear vulcan raven is just a hater is all, he probably says all that crap cause he cant afford such a card. I just wonder if he would of said the same thing about the Price of a 8800GTX or 8800 Ultra.

DsL.Dilbert said:
vulcan raven said:
there is little point continuing this. i have the links to show that X2 is NOT significantly faster than crossfire.

there is so little point arguing about 10.1, when the circumstances for use are slim again. the Os isnt out, the games arent therefore supporting it, nvidias 'the way' program is implemented on a huge amount of games, by the time everything is out and working on 10.1 the next generation of cards will be out so its a totally insignificant advantage.

X1k series could do HDR AND FSAA. geforce 7 couldnt. practically zero games at the time could do both in their engines anyway. pointless feature at the time then. same thing as this 10.1 malarkey.

my points are valid. you just wont accept that having a configurable setup is superior any which way. the thing about all products makes no sense. this card is in a certain situation where its financially viable more in NA. you are telling me you buy a 300 pound card for video decoding? no. you dont. you buy it for gaming, and video decoding is a minor minor bonus if you have a modern dual core, which you will, if you have bought one of these suckers.

and finally, tweaktown have shown and come to the same conclusion as me.

nuff said, case closed.

EDIT: p.s i had to edit, because you replied to yourself three times in a row haha :P

rather that than going on a post frenzy

Well first, I think you may have misunderstood Supreet Virdi. Supreet is stating that the HD3870X2 is better than two HD3870's in Crossfire and not saying that the HD3870X2 is significantly better than two HD3870's in Crossfire.

Secondly, I don't think DX10.1 would be completely useless. It is difficult to judge how well it would work and how well it would be implemented considering that it isn't even implemented yet. Additionally, you can't say that it is useless because it isn't even out yet, and therefore, no one is working with it, and therefore is useless. That form of argument makes no logical sense. Using that logic, I could say the 9800GX2 will flop since it isn't out yet and therefore no one has used it. It's confusing to say the least.

Thirdly, you don't buy a card like the HD3870X2 for its "ability to be configurable". However, the same goes for Crossfire. You require two or more cards to be able to use Crossfire (of course including the necessary motherboard). That isn't any more "configurable" than the HD3870X2 since you have to replace both cards in order to "upgrade". Crossfire is limited in terms of mixing and matching and there would be no point anyway even if you could with cards from different generations. Matching a nextgen card with a lastgen card would be pointless. At least with the HD3870X2, there's only one card that needs to be replaced.

Fourthly, if you really wanted to buy a card for video decoding and playback, the best solution would be a workstation card. However, that is if you are solely working with video decoding and playback. If you want to be able to work with other graphical applications like gaming, this card would suit well. It really depends on the user so stating a particular feature of a card is useless is entirely based on the user.

Lastly, what's wrong with editing so many times? I often edit my posts many times to clear up spelling and grammar mistakes, structure, ordering, etc. I don't see how this is a credible claim in a debate. I don't even see this as a way of insulting someone's intelligence. And last time I checked, you're supposed to keep thats**t under control.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
ian elliott Jan 29, 2008, 09:55pm EST Report Abuse
vulcan raven said:
300 pounds, yeah 280 -300.

which also means i would take two 8800GT for about the same money in SLI after seeing this particular test:

i can get two GT's for about 305 pounds.

plus two 3870's are still only 270. :P

What do you charge for 1x HD3870x2 from you. You do good deals.:P

Also 2x3870 are slower than 1xHD3870x2 did you not look at that benchmark?

Plus you can put 1x3870x2 in a motherboard with only 1 slot saves you money on the motherboard.

Scumbag Blues Jan 29, 2008, 10:11pm EST Report Abuse
vulcan raven said:
its only cheaper in certain limited regions. its not more reliable. theres no proof lol dont make stuff up like that for fun.

i read all about DX10.1, and as it goes, im inclined to listen to yerli, only the guy who has created the most cutting edge game currently in existence rather than you. im funny that way. :P

now for the patch. i pointed out that it was poor, because of the performance.

try this: http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&...mitstart=3

outdoor performance? HDR plus 4x FSAA, piddling 12 x 9 res, minimum framerate? 15. average? 23. ummmm. yeah. good stuff there from a vital feature. 15 freaking frame minimum.

the video decode feature as i pointed out, is not a big deal. you know that too. ;) what you said changes that? no lol, just like i said, where are the 2900XT owners moaning that their performance gaming card doesnt have as good video decoding as a 2600? find me a geforce 88 owner who is moaning about video decoding

The HD3870X2 is not the only part "in certain limited regions". Many parts that are manufactured are region specific. However, I do not doubt that this card will eventually get to all the major markets just like the 7950GX2 did. ATi has had a history of slow starts but there isn't a reason why ATi shouldn't be successful with this card.

So just because Crysis is the best looking game on the market makes him more credible than any other developer? I call that BS. One man does NOT dictate what is implemented and what is not especially for a release as wide as one as DX10.1 that will be included in Windows Vista SP1. Why not ask the developers from Valve? Last time I checked, the Source Engine was a damn fine game engine that still looks good if a little aged. I would love to see what they could do with DX10.1. Game accomplishments regarding graphics are not limited to looks only.

I think the primary reason why HD2900XT owners are complaining about the lack of HD decoding and playback is because the 2600s and 2400s which are lesser cards with similar architectures with lower price points has this capability, but a card that is much higher on the price point does not? That doesn't make any sense. Of course 8800 owners aren't complaining much since they should know that it doesn't have that capability. Thus, if they know this is true, why would they buy it if they were planning on HD decoding and playback?

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 said:
I thank you for what you have said to get some people around here straight. i swear vulcan raven is just a hater is all, he probably says all that crap cause he cant afford such a card. I just wonder if he would of said the same thing about the Price of a 8800GTX or 8800 Ultra.

DsL.Dilbert said:
vulcan raven said:
there is little point continuing this. i have the links to show that X2 is NOT significantly faster than crossfire.

there is so little point arguing about 10.1, when the circumstances for use are slim again. the Os isnt out, the games arent therefore supporting it, nvidias 'the way' program is implemented on a huge amount of games, by the time everything is out and working on 10.1 the next generation of cards will be out so its a totally insignificant advantage.

X1k series could do HDR AND FSAA. geforce 7 couldnt. practically zero games at the time could do both in their engines anyway. pointless feature at the time then. same thing as this 10.1 malarkey.

my points are valid. you just wont accept that having a configurable setup is superior any which way. the thing about all products makes no sense. this card is in a certain situation where its financially viable more in NA. you are telling me you buy a 300 pound card for video decoding? no. you dont. you buy it for gaming, and video decoding is a minor minor bonus if you have a modern dual core, which you will, if you have bought one of these suckers.

nuff said, case closed.

EDIT: p.s i had to edit, because you replied to yourself three times in a row haha :P

rather that than going on a post frenzy

Well first, I think you may have misunderstood Supreet Virdi. Supreet is stating that the HD3870X2 is better than two HD3870's in Crossfire and not saying that the HD3870X2 is significantly better than two HD3870's in Crossfire.

Secondly, I don't think DX10.1 would be completely useless. It is difficult to judge how well it would work and how well it would be implemented considering that it isn't even implemented yet. Additionally, you can't say that it is useless because it isn't even out yet, and therefore, no one is working with it, and therefore is useless. That form of argument makes no logical sense. Using that logic, I could say the 9800GX2 will flop since it isn't out yet and therefore no one has used it. It's confusing to say the least.

Thirdly, you don't buy a card like the HD3870X2 for its "ability to be configurable". However, the same goes for Crossfire. You require two or more cards to be able to use Crossfire (of course including the necessary motherboard). That isn't any more "configurable" than the HD3870X2 since you have to replace both cards in order to "upgrade". Crossfire is limited in terms of mixing and matching and there would be no point anyway even if you could with cards from different generations. Matching a nextgen card with a lastgen card would be pointless. At least with the HD3870X2, there's only one card that needs to be replaced.

Fourthly, if you really wanted to buy a card for video decoding and playback, the best solution would be a workstation card. However, that is if you are solely working with video decoding and playback. If you want to be able to work with other graphical applications like gaming, this card would suit well. It really depends on the user so stating a particular feature of a card is useless is entirely based on the user.

Lastly, what's wrong with editing so many times? I often edit my posts many times to clear up spelling and grammar mistakes, structure, ordering, etc. I don't see how this is a credible claim in a debate. I don't even see this as a way of insulting someone's intelligence. And last time I checked, you're supposed to keep thats**t under control.

Yeah. I really wish people would take a bit more time and read other posts they intend to reply to more carefully. Flame wars have begun that way. I'm also a type of person who would never spend more than $350 on a card but that doesn't mean anything more than that sucks. It's just illogical to think that way. It's simply outside my budget.

ian elliott said:
Plus you can put 1x3870x2 in a motherboard with only 1 slot saves you money on the motherboard.

That is also a very good point.

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 29, 2008, 10:15pm EST Report Abuse
otherwise do your homework before buying

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
ian elliott Jan 29, 2008, 10:16pm EST Report Abuse

ian elliott Jan 29, 2008, 10:33pm EST Report Abuse
vulcan raven said:

finally and most useful this: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1282/14

You are a joke Vulcan and so is Tweaktown for using a PCIe v1.1 motherboard.:P

Call of Juarez on PCIe v2:
http://www.fpslabs.com/reviews/video/amd-radeon-hd-3870-x2-review/page-6
Call of Juarez on PCIe v1.1:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1279/13/page_13_benchmarks_ca...index.html

Now go hide away before you lose all credability in this forum.

Scumbag Blues Jan 29, 2008, 10:36pm EST Report Abuse
ian elliott said:
vulcan raven said:

finally and most useful this: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1282/14

You are a joke Vulcan and so is Tweaktown for using a PCIe v1.1 motherboard.:P

Call of Juarez on PCIe v2:
http://www.fpslabs.com/reviews/video/amd-radeon-hd-3870-x2-review/page-6
Call of Juarez on PCIe v1.1:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1279/13/page_13_benchmarks_ca...index.html

Now go hide away both you lose all credability in this forum.

Not quite sure if it's just me but I'm not able to properly connect to those sites. I do reach the site, but I end up getting a 404 did not find page error or something similar to that.

EDIT: I apologize. It was a problem on my end. Those links are working 100% now. Thanks for that Ian.

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
ian elliott Jan 29, 2008, 10:55pm EST Report Abuse
The conclusion I make is that don't buy this card unless you have a PCIe2.0 motherboard say like a X38 or X48 chipset. P45 is out soon as well.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 29, 2008, 10:58pm EST Report Abuse
ok Ian, the card is not PCI Express 2.0- it wont utilize it, it will work in those boards tho, Im sure another SKU would have to come out to utilize the other bus.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_3870_X2/4.html

go here for the info on the other chip

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Scumbag Blues Jan 29, 2008, 10:58pm EST Report Abuse
ian elliott said:
The conclusion I make is that don't buy this card unless you have a PCIe2.0 motherboard say like a X38 or X48 chipset. P45 is out soon as well.

Yeah the difference is pretty astounding. However, are they both showing minimum FPS?

~

ian elliott Jan 29, 2008, 11:01pm EST Report Abuse
DsL.Dilbert said:
ian elliott said:

Yeah the difference is pretty astounding. However, are they both showing minimum FPS?

You need to look at the tweaktown Average FPS it is the next one down. lol do you need instructions?

Scumbag Blues Jan 29, 2008, 11:17pm EST Report Abuse
ian elliott said:
DsL.Dilbert said:
ian elliott said:

You need to look at the tweaktown Average FPS it is the next one down. lol do you need instructions?

No, it's just that are some discrepanies when comparing the two.

~

ian elliott Jan 30, 2008, 01:56pm EST Report Abuse
^helps when you look at the right benchmark. Aye the discrepancies!

When benchmarking a product like the 3870x2 it is paramount to avoid any bottlenecks caused by the system. Thus Hardware sites should be using:-

*the latest motherboard chipset PCIe2.0 with CrossfireX perferable X48 chipset at the moment.
*the fastest CPU Quad core available preferably overclocked to further eliminate bottlenecks.
*the fastest DDR3 preferably overclocked to further eliminate bottlenecks.

I know a system like that costs more but this is an enthusiast's card, thus pair it with an enthusiast's system.

Obviously some would like to see what it can do in a lesser system but the site should say so and inform the readers that the card may not be performing at its best because you wouldn't get the best out of such a card in a lesser system. I even here the card performs substantially worse in a P35 chipset motherboard compared to an X38.

The call of juarez benchmark. Tweaktown use Q6600 @ 3Ghz but use PciE V1.1 motherboard. Thus Tweaktown has increased Nvidia FPS due to clock speed but decreased 3870X2 due to I can only assume is the motherboard bottleneck limitations.

FPSLABS use QX6700 but use a Pcie V2.0 motherboard. Thus has decreased Nvidia due to slower clock but increased 3870X2 due to I can only assume is the motherboards PCIE V2.0 chipset.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 30, 2008, 02:23pm EST Report Abuse
Ian Elliot, get the hint, the x2 3870 is not a PCI Express 2.0 Board, later SKUs maybe, but read the body of my previous previous posts. I have posted the same link twice, yet people fail to read it.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
FingerMeElmo87 Jan 30, 2008, 03:48pm EST Report Abuse
wow, virdi and vulcan were duke'n out huh?

Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.41Ghz w/ Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
G.Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-15
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
VisionTek HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
500GB Seagate 7200.12 - Windows 7 RC1
Hiper Type-R 580 WATT PSU
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 30, 2008, 04:43pm EST Report Abuse
yup and DSL shut them up.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
FingerMeElmo87 Jan 30, 2008, 06:51pm EST Report Abuse
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 said:
yup and DSL shut them up.

ownage pie served nice and hot

Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.41Ghz w/ Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
G.Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-15
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
VisionTek HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
500GB Seagate 7200.12 - Windows 7 RC1
Hiper Type-R 580 WATT PSU
ian elliott Jan 30, 2008, 10:27pm EST Report Abuse
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 said:
Ian Elliott, get the hint, the x2 3870 is not a PCI Express 2.0 Board. I have posted the same link twice, yet people fail to read it.

I never said the card was. Why do people do that in forums? is it the new game? Pays to read what I have said though get that hint :P

There clearly is a bottleneck going on in the Tweaktown benchmarks.

Sean Costello Jan 30, 2008, 10:50pm EST Report Abuse
For the record, I'd get one in a heart beat if i had the money and the rest of my system was up to spec :S

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Scumbag Blues Jan 30, 2008, 11:17pm EST Report Abuse
ian elliott said:
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 said:
Ian Elliott, get the hint, the x2 3870 is not a PCI Express 2.0 Board. I have posted the same link twice, yet people fail to read it.

I never said the card was. Why do people do that in forums? is it the new game? Pays to read what I have said though get that hint :P

There clearly is a bottleneck going on in the Tweaktown benchmarks.

How?

The Q6600 TweakTown uses is overclocked from 2.40GHz to 3.00GHz thus increasing the FSB from 266MHz to 333MHz (1066MHz to 1333MHz quad-pumped), and the memory is also running at a higher frequency.

The chipset also does not really matter as only one PCI-E slot is being used and both chipsets are quite capable of having a single x16 PCI-E slot.

In fact, if there was even a remote chance of bottlenecking, it would be with FPSLabs setup.

~

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.