Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 614 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 02:25pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Dr. Peaceful Feb 15, 2008, 12:24am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3)
Supreet Virdi said:
More smilies :(

Animated smilies.

C'mon, no more square smilies.

LOL ;) I second that!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gerritt Feb 16, 2008, 07:06pm EST Report Abuse
A plus or minus to the thread/post insofar as a star rating would seem to be a good thing, and mayhap include the same for posters.

Additionally, technology based, vs. vendor based documentation may be welcome.

For instance, my background is in networking. I could give a thread/artical associated with my core competency, WSA vs. WPA, hubs vs. switched networks, firewalls, SW and HW based, the pros and cons. Mayhap even an IP addressing primer, something that is out there, but under utilized by most.

Make some of these articles, others sticky, even if they are not mine.

Stickies I'd like to see:
64bit vs 32bit OSs and drivers. (XP, Vista, LINUX, AIX)
OS and application multiprocessing limitations/gains.
Separate threads for Gamer and Corporate throughput. Mayhap even separate Forum areas.
An enhancement of the "off topic" area so as to incorporate multiple sub-topics.

Just my $.05 worth.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
john albrich Feb 16, 2008, 07:51pm EST Report Abuse
To reduce multiple posts on the same old re-hashed topics...

How about, when someone posts to the site, a fuzzy search is performed for related topics, and the poster is sent a note telling him/her that these (a list) other possibly related posts already exist.

A number of people post before even attempting a simple search.

This might get them to either delete their post, or the next time they are tempted to post, they might actually use the search tool first.

John

Reference: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/70725/#529267

Gerritt Feb 16, 2008, 08:24pm EST Report Abuse
John, that'd be awesome, but it'd require some heavy DB sieves and coding.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Adam Kolak Feb 16, 2008, 10:27pm EST Report Abuse
john albrich said:
To reduce multiple posts on the same old re-hashed topics...

How about, when someone posts to the site, a fuzzy search is performed for related topics, and the poster is sent a note telling him/her that these (a list) other possibly related posts already exist.

I like that Idea, Digg.com does something similar to that.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Sean Costello Feb 17, 2008, 06:41pm EST Report Abuse
another site i go too does that too, as soon as you finish the topic title it comes up with the amount of topics with the same/similar names.

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Adam Kolak Feb 17, 2008, 11:55pm EST Report Abuse
Gerritt said:

Stickies I'd like to see:
64bit vs 32bit OSs and drivers. (XP, Vista, LINUX, AIX)

There was a topic started a while back regarding drivers and software for 64 bit. This thread serves as a place for anyone to post any rare or hard to find drivers for 64 bit Windows or even a 64 bit Linux distribution:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/69784/

It would be stickied, but due to the way the forum currently works, If I sticky it, it will appear stickied in both the software forum and on the Latest Topics list. So that is yet another issue that needs to be fixed. And once that is fixed, you'll see many more stickies go up.

Adam Kolak
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
_MD_ Feb 21, 2008, 01:29pm EST Report Abuse
Hey Vitaliy... I was just wondering, how hard can it be to have a special box either beside our name (or signature) with a table of system specs? For example like at forums.guru3d.com have... I know this was asked before, but I just don't see a reason why we still don't have it... because it is very very handy, neat and useful add-on... Thanks.

___________________MD_____________________
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333177
_______ Full system specs in user profile ________
Mark Feb 26, 2008, 03:07pm EST Report Abuse
I didn't read the whole thread, but what about something that shows how many views a thread has got. It comes in handy when you wonder if anyone in the world has even looked at your question.

Just a thought :_)

----------------------------------------------
- Intel Pentium G2020
- Asus 8800GT 512MB w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec True 650w
FordGT90Concept Feb 27, 2008, 06:29am EST Report Abuse
It seems that whenever a "Featured Article" section is on the left, it pushes most of the template off to the right:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4880/tablesmp5.jpg

Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 27, 2008, 08:23pm EST Report Abuse
Adam Kolak said:
It would be stickied, but due to the way the forum currently works, If I sticky it, it will appear stickied in both the software forum and on the Latest Topics list. So that is yet another issue that needs to be fixed. And once that is fixed, you'll see many more stickies go up.

Fixed a few days ago :)

Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 27, 2008, 08:24pm EST Report Abuse
Sean Costello said:
another site i go too does that too, as soon as you finish the topic title it comes up with the amount of topics with the same/similar names.

This was suggested before and I like the idea.. There are two issues:
- implementation and making it fast and results relevant
- making it useful. The issue here is that the person needs to type something for search to be performed, at which point it may be too late for them to go look at other topics because they already typed what they wanted. So making thins work is going to require some more thought..

Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 27, 2008, 08:31pm EST Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
It seems that whenever a "Featured Article" section is on the left, it pushes most of the template off to the right:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4880/tablesmp5.jpg

Fixed, thanks for noticing.. damn Internet Explorer :)

Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 27, 2008, 10:19pm EST Report Abuse
Mark Curtis said:
I didn't read the whole thread, but what about something that shows how many views a thread has got. It comes in handy when you wonder if anyone in the world has even looked at your question.

Done.

I fished through log files and set starting number of views to the totals from this month so things don't look empty to start off. From now on views will be tracked, once per user session.

Adam Kolak Feb 27, 2008, 10:24pm EST Report Abuse
Vitaliy (Administrator) said:
Adam Kolak said:

Fixed a few days ago :)

As a Moderator, I appreciate that so much, thanks.

Adam Kolak
Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 27, 2008, 10:26pm EST Report Abuse
_MD_ said:
Hey Vitaliy... I was just wondering, how hard can it be to have a special box either beside our name (or signature) with a table of system specs? For example like at forums.guru3d.com have... I know this was asked before, but I just don't see a reason why we still don't have it... because it is very very handy, neat and useful add-on... Thanks.

We want to do that, and will do that. I just want to make it more complex and useful, so that you guys can setup what you have, add pictures, etc and then be able to compare your setups with other people.

Feb 28, 2008, 12:05am EST Report Abuse
I like the view-counter, but could you put the reply number on the left and possibly make it bold? They're so close to eachother that I'm seeing the view-count and thinking replies. :~

Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 28, 2008, 12:15am EST Report Abuse
McFly said:
I like the view-counter, but could you put the reply number on the left and possibly make it bold? They're so close to eachother that I'm seeing the view-count and thinking replies. :~

Yep, I didn't like that either.. so I just moved it to the left a bit, so reply counter and "last reply" columns remain next to each other where they always were.

Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 28, 2008, 12:15am EST Report Abuse
Dr. Peaceful said:
Supreet Virdi said:
More smilies :(

Animated smilies.

C'mon, no more square smilies.

LOL ;) I second that!

No and No :)

FordGT90Concept Feb 28, 2008, 12:19am EST Report Abuse
Awww. Not even subtle ones? :(

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.