Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 465 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 02:52pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Sean Costello Aug 14, 2009, 07:50pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3)
Yeah we definetly need to add some of those :P

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
kOrny Sep 16, 2009, 06:53pm EDT Report Abuse
k0rny said:
Make a gallery-type page for users to post pictures of their computers along with specs.

You should have some basic questions on the profile page that members can answer (ex: Where are you from (specifically), Profession? , etc..), as well as fields for uses to fill about their computer (ex: CPU:, Motherboard:, Video Card:, etc...). Also, let members upload at least 1 picture?

Oct 04, 2009, 11:24pm EDT Report Abuse
I know we still don't have [code], but when/if we ever get it, maybe syntax highlighting could be a part of it? For example, maybe [code cpp][/code] or [code javascript][/code]?

And how about a new "monthly" poll? Hey there. :)

Michael C Oct 08, 2009, 04:11pm EDT Report Abuse
This has probably been asked already...BUT..

Can we have the ability to paste screenshots/pics into a post?

Chad Mcaulay Oct 15, 2009, 10:47pm EDT Report Abuse
I think that it has, Michael. I believe that I saw it on the first page of the post. I think that one poster suggested 800X600 size. I think that Vitality stated that might be a bit much at first, proposing 640X480 being a more suitable size.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: Outdated
Oct 18, 2009, 12:23am EDT Report Abuse
My thumbnail Greasemonkey script will replace image links from popular image sites (Imageshack, TinyPic, Photobucket) with thumbnails of the images. Check it out:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/46111

I'm going to be adding some other image-hosting sites to it soon.

kOrny Oct 18, 2009, 09:26pm EDT Report Abuse
This forum would be something else if we could post pictures. Why can't we?

~Vel Oct 23, 2009, 02:23pm EDT Report Abuse
It takes away from the simplicity of the site. I for one don't want to be forced to see lolcat pictures in the middle of a thread. It's something unique I like about HWA.

Oct 25, 2009, 04:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Posting huge pictures into a thread is one thing, posting thumbnails of images (with the thumbnail being a link to the full picture) is quite another.

I'd enjoy seeing something like my thumbnail script being implemented server-side. HWA wouldn't even have to host the thumbnails for the popular sites like TinyPic, ImageShack, Photobucket, etc. since they all provide thumbnails themselves (the URL's of which can easily be determined just from the actual image URL).

<a class= Nov 23, 2009, 02:45pm EST Report Abuse
One of the handy features would be if we could search through the user database without having to write their name. For instance when I leave the name blank and select "Australia" it won't search for anything. If it would just list all people from Australia without having to type any name into the search field, that would be very useful.

john albrich Nov 27, 2009, 05:55pm EST Report Abuse
Need to change the HWA URL formatting proc to NOT smiley-ize characters included in provided URLs

Ref:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/73897/?o=40#569942
to see where this problem shows up and a ":" and "D" are formatted into a smiley.
Had to provide tinyurl work-around.

Chris M Dec 05, 2009, 04:02am EST Report Abuse
I didn't see this written on the list so I'll assume it hasn't been suggested yet. I'd like it if all posts over a certain age were automatically locked. For example, if a post was made December 5, 2008 and has not had any replies since then, it will become automatically locked today.

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
Jan 08, 2010, 01:43pm EST Report Abuse

How about subforum organization?

Operating Systems -> Windows -> Windows XP
Hardware -> Video Cards -> nVIDIA
Off Topic -> Political

john albrich Jan 09, 2010, 01:03am EST Report Abuse
Chris M said:
I didn't see this written on the list so I'll assume it hasn't been suggested yet. I'd like it if all posts over a certain age were automatically locked. For example, if a post was made December 5, 2008 and has not had any replies since then, it will become automatically locked today.

I've always seriously disagreed with arbitrary date-based thread locking. Three main reasons.

1) People generally don't agree on just how old a thread should be before it gets locked.

2) It makes referring to prior posts a little more difficult when you have to cut&paste quotes from another thread to your new thread. (although props to HWA for providing the ability to grab and use hyperlinks to individual posts. I really like that feature)

3) But primarily because it prevents correcting one's own errors in old posts, and it prevents someone pointing out faulty information or enhancing information provided by someone else in an old post. In both cases the errors can be serious and endanger people's data, hardware, or personal safety when they are using the threads to solve technical issues. People who have searched through the threads can end up needlessly using flawed or obsolete information.

I've suggested the alternatives to handle the problem of resurrected old threads:

1) Display an obvious warning to a user that he is posting to a thread that is older than xxx days and he may want to open a new thread instead.

and/or

2a) Make her click on an extra "confirm" button to get to the actual post input screen to acknowledge she wants to post to a thread that is older than xxx days.

and/or

2b) Make her click on an extra "confirm" button to submit the actual post to acknowledge she wants to submit the post to a thread that is older than xxx days.
Example of process including 1, 2a, and 2b:
Please note that this example requires redundant responses. A user will run into these ONLY if a thread's last post is older than XXX days, so it will NOT inconvenience most users, yet still allows a user to post to an older thread if he considers it really necessary or the best way to deal with the issue. It leaves it up to the user to make an informed decision.

Note that this is based on the age of the latest post to the thread, and not the origination date of the thread.

A user clicks on "Reply", "Quote", etc to a post in a thread in which the most recent post was 227 days ago.

User clicked on "Reply"
This old thread was LAST UPDATED 227 DAYS AGO.
It may be better if you create a new thread instead.
Are you sure you want to post to this old thread?

(Yes) (Cancel)

If the user clicks on "Cancel" he is taken back to where he was. before he clicked on "Reply", etc.
If he clicks on "Yes" then he is taken to a follow-up screen where he can enter his post.

User clicked on "Yes"

Just above the "Subject:" entry box is this notice in large highlighted font:
This thread's last post was 227 days ago and is considered very old.
Please re-consider if canceling this post and starting a new thread would best meet your needs.

Assuming the user entered his post, he then clicks on "Submit" and he is AGAIN presented with something like,

This old thread was LAST UPDATED 227 DAYS AGO.
It may be better if you create a new thread instead.
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you want your post to be submitted to this old thread?

(Yes) (Cancel)

If the user clicks on "Cancel" he is taken back to where he was before he clicked on "Reply", etc.
If he clicks on "Yes" then his post is accepted as per usual.

edit:
added an example

Michael C Jan 09, 2010, 09:19am EST Report Abuse
How about a built in Chat feature for registered members? :P

Jan 15, 2010, 10:05am EST Report Abuse
The "Report Abuse" function doesn't seem to work anymore over https ... it did before. :|

"The requested URL was not found on this server."

micro Jan 19, 2010, 12:05pm EST Report Abuse
What about a youtube account?
Im not sure if that was already discussed here.
That may require biweekly/monthly articles or reviews though as the upkeep can be a large undertaking.

I know ign.com has a YT site and i wish Hwa & bit-tech did.

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, 2600k @ 4.0
16 gig Corsair Vengeance
Evga gtx 260 216, samsung 2253lw"
Baracuda 7,200.12 CoolerMaster 212 +
Win 7 64, fsp fx700-gln, Razer DA,G15
Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid
Silence in the face of evil is it's self Ev
~Vel Jan 19, 2010, 11:33pm EST Report Abuse
micro said:
What about a youtube account?
Im not sure if that was already discussed here.
That may require biweekly/monthly articles or reviews though as the upkeep can be a large undertaking.

I know ign.com has a YT site and i wish Hwa & bit-tech did.

I think we'd need to get some sort of article system sorted out before this were to happen.

angryhippy Feb 06, 2010, 08:38pm EST Report Abuse
I'm getting these e-mail notices of posts in thread that I subscribe to that are 2, 3, or 4 years old, that i would just as soon not subscribe to. Rather than going to communities, it would be nice to have a link on the thread itself to use to unsubscribe to the topic / thread.

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Dr. Peaceful Mar 17, 2010, 01:39am EDT Report Abuse
The "Posts Per Day (Average)" count in member profile for members joined less than a day is incorrect. See pic below (member name removed as for respect).

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3447/tmp2.png

I think calculation used now is:
Posts Per Day (Average) = seconds in one day / "Time Between Posts (Average)" in seconds

So for this example 86400 / (19.2 x 60) = 75 posts per day, when the user only have 1 post!

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.