Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 592 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 03:05pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Rhort Feb 28, 2008, 05:16am EST Report Abuse
>> .
Vitaliy (Administrator) said:
Dr. Peaceful said:
Supreet Virdi said:
More smilies :(

Animated smilies.

C'mon, no more square smilies.

LOL ;) I second that!

No and No :)

I've got to say, I'm 100% behind Vitaliy on this one. One of the main reasons I've been coming here for so long is because this has always been an inherently no-nonsense forum, not allowing itself to get bogged down with irrelevant animations and graphics. Whilst some people might like it, I hope that if it ever does come in that there's an option to turn it off :| In my view, it simply doesn't add anything, but would potentially turn three screens of thread into ten.

_________________________________________________________________________________
~ The manual said "Requires Windows '95 or better" ...so I installed Linux!
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dr. Peaceful Feb 28, 2008, 11:33am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3)
Nice addition for the View counts. Now you know if a thread is being look at or not, regardless how many reply to it. Thanks!

Rhort Feb 28, 2008, 11:50am EST Report Abuse
>> .
I like this too, but I've noticed some of them don't seem to be working; e.g. 'ATI 9600 pro problems hang freeze' (third one down in 'Popular Topics') shows 1788 replies, yet only 779 views.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Dr. Peaceful Feb 28, 2008, 12:04pm EST Report Abuse
The counts only started this month, I guess, see below. Vitaliy, "once per user session", does it include anonymous user views, too? Just wonder. [edit] I answer this myself, it Does, as I tested it! Cool.

Mark Curtis said:
I didn't read the whole thread, but what about something that shows how many views a thread has got. It comes in handy when you wonder if anyone in the world has even looked at your question.

Done.

I fished through log files and set starting number of views to the totals from this month so things don't look empty to start off. From now on views will be tracked, once per user session.

Mark Feb 28, 2008, 02:13pm EST Report Abuse
Nice! I like it a lot!

Thanks Vitality!! ;)

----------------------------------------------
- Intel Pentium G2020
- Asus 8800GT 512MB w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec True 650w
Rhort Feb 29, 2008, 08:10am EST Report Abuse
>> .
From now on views will be tracked, once per user session.

This part doesn't seem to be working :(

Dr. Peaceful Feb 29, 2008, 06:28pm EST Report Abuse
What's with all these old threads revived from the past lately? Quite a few of them, as I noticed. On one hand it proves that these users did search the archive for old questions / solutions. But on the other hand, they could have just made a new post with links to the old ones. It is kind of annoying to see someone answering question asked years ago by the last poster, or worse starting a similar but different topic within the old thread.

Should there be a time lock for threads? Like after 3.5 years, it will automatically be locked. Just an idea.

Gerritt Feb 29, 2008, 08:08pm EST Report Abuse
Dr. Peaceful said:
What's with all these old threads revived from the past lately? Quite a few of them, as I noticed. On one hand it proves that these users did search the archive for old questions / solutions. But on the other hand, they could have just made a new post with links to the old ones. It is kind of annoying to see someone answering question asked years ago by the last poster, or worse starting a similar but different topic within the old thread.

Should there be a time lock for threads? Like after 3.5 years, it will automatically be locked. Just an idea.

Old threads, and old HW/SW still seems to show up. In the search, if I type in "9600" I get a humongous number of hits. With little or no filtering based upon revelence.
Given the cycle of HW and SW vendors, even 3.5 years may be too short.
Yet I understand where you are coming from.
4103 search hits on "ATI 9600".

Is it possible for HWA to return, not the post count, but the thread count instead?
With an option for post entries as well?
I'd rather talk to 20 threads vs. 4100 postings. Especially if one thread could hold the answer to most if not all of the questions. I find that most of my answers are already out there, and would prefer that those answers come up on top. Right now, I don't see that happening, so I post way to often on things that have already been resolved.
Ain't that a B*tch!

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
~Vel Mar 01, 2008, 01:11pm EST Report Abuse
I think it would look better if the position of the post count and view count were reversed, just a thought

Vitaliy (Administrator) Mar 01, 2008, 01:16pm EST Report Abuse
~Vel said:
I think it would look better if the position of the post count and view count were reversed, just a thought

I can't say that I am extremely happy with how this looks either, but the reason "post count" is towards the end is so that it's right next to "last reply" column. I think that association makes sense.

Mark Mar 10, 2008, 01:57pm EDT Report Abuse
How about a contest where you can win something every three months or so? Like a HWA t-shirt, some test hardware, a top of the line video card ;) , etc?

----------------------------------------------
- Intel Pentium G2020
- Asus 8800GT 512MB w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec True 650w
_MD_ Mar 19, 2008, 11:39am EDT Report Abuse
Just sharing our thoughts as HWA users... started on different topic, so here's a link:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/55520/#531723

___________________MD_____________________
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333177
_______ Full system specs in user profile ________
Vitaliy (Administrator) Mar 20, 2008, 11:09pm EDT Report Abuse
There is a new poll on the front page - please vote :)

Rhort Apr 02, 2008, 05:04am EDT Report Abuse
>> .
I'd like to see some sort of automatic text wrapping so when people post (often pointlessly) long strings of text (like in this thread > http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/71175/) it doesn't shoot off the side of the page making it hard work to read the rest of the thread :|

I appreciate that sometimes this happens with URLs, but it's not always the case, and makes the thread a pain to read.

Gerritt Apr 03, 2008, 03:47am EDT Report Abuse
Rhort,
I've had complaints from others in this area of having formatting not working. I've never seen it with IE 5.0-7.0,
Is it possible that this may be an issue with Firefox or the underlying code here at HWA being MS centric?

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
FordGT90Concept Apr 06, 2008, 02:12am EDT Report Abuse
I keep getting incomplete page loads like this:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9008/blahnz3.png

It's happening more and more frequently and it's starting to become an annoyance.

Suspended User Apr 06, 2008, 03:56am EDT Report Abuse
That's strange Ford.

I have never come across this problem.

Have you tried another browser?

FordGT90Concept Apr 06, 2008, 05:50am EDT Report Abuse
No, I haven't. It started doing it a day or two ago and, as far as I know, nothing changed between then and now. It's like the server is telling me I have the whole page when I don't so all it actually shows is the cached data. I've only encountered the problem on this site.

FordGT90Concept Apr 06, 2008, 11:01pm EDT Report Abuse
It seems to have cleared up so nevermind.

FordGT90Concept Apr 10, 2008, 11:33am EDT Report Abuse
Hmm, how about FAQ somewhere of all the stuff you should double check to back up before you format and some guides/links, etc. on how to back up said material. Maybe even cover some topics that are common after installing some older apps on new computers (like Quicken and the damn Registration Required junk)?

A few of the major things to get the brain clicking:
-Internet Favorites/Bookmarks (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc)
-Text documents and other authored material (especially resumes and other difficult to reproduce documents)
-Financing Application backups (Quicken, Money, etc.)
-Emails/Email Addresses (Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird?, etc)
-Database backups
-Website backups/source code

The more specific the better. This could be an indispensible resource for those looking for a fresh start.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.