Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 679 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 03:35pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Apr 12, 2008, 05:05pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3)
Some auto-fitting for usernames (at least on the Latest Topics page) would be nice ... in the case for people (*ahem TAM ahem*) who make stupidly long names lol ...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
FordGT90Concept Apr 20, 2008, 12:10pm EDT Report Abuse
Why is the time labeled "CDT" when it should be "CST" (Central Standard Time)? I've noticed this a long time ago and it has been bothering me. Anyway, CDT is a subset of CST in that CDT is only applicable when DST (Daylight Savings Time) is observed. Therefore, 3/4 of the year, CDT is the wrong label. It's quite misleading/confusing. :(

Vitaliy (Administrator) Apr 20, 2008, 12:30pm EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Why is the time labeled "CDT" when it should be "CST" (Central Standard Time)? I've noticed this a long time ago and it has been bothering me. Anyway, CDT is a subset of CST in that CDT is only applicable when DST (Daylight Savings Time) is observed. Therefore, 3/4 of the year, CDT is the wrong label. It's quite misleading/confusing. :(

It's shown as "CST" in winter and "CDT" in the summer. When editing your profile you select "Central Time" so there is no ambiguity.

Are you seeing something else? I just double checked by moving date on our test server to January and I got "CST".

Apr 21, 2008, 02:53pm EDT Report Abuse
Call me crazy Ford ... but aren't we observing DST now? Which would make CDT/PDT/etc the correct label for this time of year.

According to the infallible Wikipedia ...
Starting in 2007, most of the United States and Canada observe DST from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, almost two-thirds of the year.

FordGT90Concept Apr 21, 2008, 10:43pm EDT Report Abuse
You're not crazy, I am. I thought daylight savings time was only observed during the winter which, apparently, isn't the case. Needless to say, I think it's time to do away with the 24-hour clock as post-industrialized societies become less and less dependent on when the sun is visible. Nevermind me. XD

Apr 22, 2008, 04:23pm EDT Report Abuse
Well how am I supposed to plow my fields then? By candlelight?! :P
It does actually seem that, at least intuitively, daylight savings should be in the winter. Oh well. :_)

Hey now what what, back to the suggestions ...
Am I the only one who would like to see View all threads started by [user] in the profiles? :D

_MD_ Apr 23, 2008, 01:13pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
Am I the only one who would like to see View all threads started by [user] in the profiles? :D

+1

by the way, where are all the promised addons and enhancements? HWA is loosing members because of its dryness :(

___________________MD_____________________
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333177
_______ Full system specs in user profile ________
FordGT90Concept Apr 23, 2008, 01:20pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:

+1

It's hard to find articles I know I authored that I need to reference for one reason or another. Last time I tried, I had to search through lots and lots of pages of search results. :(

john albrich Apr 24, 2008, 08:05am EDT Report Abuse
Three related suggestions (in order of recommended priority). The majority of users might prefer for suggestion 2's default to remain as currently implemented...but I do get a bit concerned of my always having to remember to uncheck this box when I start a new topic.

1) When EDITING a post, add ability to "check" and "un-check" Send me an email when someone posts a reply to my message.. In other words, let me change my mind.

Currently, the option appears to be only available when you make an original post. (I thought HWA used to allow changing this option in an "edit", but I just looked for it and I guess I was mistaken)

Of course, I may be mis-understanding how this should work.

My assumption is, that when I check that box in a "reply" to an OP, that user replies to MY reply-post only will gen an e-mail to me. All other replies to the thread in general will NOT gen an e-mail to me.

However, if it gens an e-mail for ANY post to the thread, then this opt-out edit becomes even more important. If this is the case, then in addition the wording on the phrase should be changed from:
Send me an email when someone posts a reply to my message.
to:
Send me an email when someone posts a reply to this thread.

(Currenlty, I don't want to test how all this works, because I don't want to get stuck receiving e-mails forever because it looks like I apparently can't change the setting later)

2) When starting a "New Discussion Topic", change selection box default to UNCHECKED for "Send me an email when someone posts a reply to my message.". Currently, the default for new top OP's is "checked". But, it is "unchecked" for reply posts (which is a good thing).

3) If my assumption in suggestion #2 is incorrect, then provide a way for a user to opt to receive an e-mail for EITHER any reply to the entire thread, or only replies to a specific post(s).

So, for a "reply" post, the user would have 2 check-boxes:
[] Send me an email when someone posts a reply to my message.
[] Send me an email when someone posts a reply to any post in this thread.

(the "to any post" would of course supercede the "to my message" option)

For the OP of course, "to my message" would be effectively the same as "to any post".

Apr 24, 2008, 05:51pm EDT Report Abuse
Oh and, what about a flag next to a users name, at least inside a topic? That would be nice ... I think it was talked about before ...

Sean Costello Apr 24, 2008, 08:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Nice flag addition, Vitaliy.

BUT i caught an error just before it was fixed like 10 seconds later:
http://i28.tinypic.com/14sh8g4.jpg

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Vitaliy (Administrator) Apr 24, 2008, 08:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Sean Costello said:
Nice flag addition, Vitaliy.

BUT i caught an error just before it was fixed like 10 seconds later:
http://i28.tinypic.com/14sh8g4.jpg

Much too quick you are, young jedi. Be patient!

Sean Costello Apr 24, 2008, 09:04pm EDT Report Abuse
:P

it was dumb luck, nothing but dumb luck haha

______
Apr 24, 2008, 09:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Ooo baby! :D

Vitaliy (Administrator) Apr 24, 2008, 09:25pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
Oh and, what about a flag next to a users name, at least inside a topic? That would be nice ... I think it was talked about before ...

I had this nearly complete for quite some time, so I finally decided to flip the switch tonight. Let me know if you find some place where there is a name without a flag.

As for other changes - I'm currently busy with some personal things for another few days, but once that's done (and I'll make an official announcement :) I'll get back to finishing things.

~Vel Apr 28, 2008, 04:08pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm enjoying it. It's nice since sometimes when in the past someone's been asking for advice on a new build and you suggest a part a Newegg or something like that, the original poster will come back with "but I'm from Canada you insensitive clod!" This way you're able to avoid this :P

Vitaliy (Administrator) Apr 28, 2008, 04:54pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
Ooo baby! :D

Funny you should say.. last Friday I became a father when my son Ethan was born. Not to hijack this thread.. but that was a factor as to why I was somewhat distracted away from HWA work. Now that we should be heading home tomorrow I should be back into working routine.

:D

Bitmap Apr 28, 2008, 07:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Congrats, Vitaliy! :D

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Gerritt Apr 29, 2008, 12:11am EDT Report Abuse
Another future coder! Congratulations! Now you'll have a reason for being groggy at work in the mornings! :)

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Sean Costello Apr 29, 2008, 04:54am EDT Report Abuse
Congrats indeed :D

______

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.