Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1514 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 13 - 02:04pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
CrAsHnBuRnXp Apr 29, 2008, 05:07pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Hardware Analysis Suggestion and Idea Thread (Part 3)
My heartfelt congratulations to you and your new son. May he bring joy into you and your spouse's lives.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Apr 29, 2008, 05:11pm EDT Report Abuse
Crash, your congrat's always sound like a damned Hallmark card, lol :P ...

Apr 29, 2008, 06:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Heya how about this ... since quite a few people hate seeing the "Post Edited On ..." messages, how about something like this?

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4181/hwael5.png

Dr. Peaceful Apr 30, 2008, 03:37pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:
Heya how about this ... since quite a few people hate seeing the "Post Edited On ..." messages, how about something like this?

I Second That!

Sean Costello May 02, 2008, 08:07pm EDT Report Abuse
+1000 on McFly's idea, looks very very clean.

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Vitaliy (Administrator) May 03, 2008, 01:36pm EDT Report Abuse
McFly said:

Done!

FordGT90Concept May 03, 2008, 04:37pm EDT Report Abuse
Um...some fine tuning tips:

"Post Edited On:" can trigger wrapping. Would "Edited: <date>" work with less space?

In 1024x768, my own posts have the "Reply - Quote - Report Abuse - Edit Post" that also causes wrapping. Maybe it could be shortened to "Replay - Quote - Report - Edit." A smaller font might work too. The most efficicent space-saving design is images...dunno if you want to take that route but it would certainly work.

On a side note: will column/editorial/review comments ever appear on the Latest Topics page and not just the Latest Topics side bar? There may be higher volume of comments from regular uses on those topics if that were to happen.

Edit: Pic...
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/174/hwassbg3.png

mothow May 03, 2008, 05:15pm EDT Report Abuse
never mind

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
May 03, 2008, 07:51pm EDT Report Abuse
Looking good, Vitaliy! :)

For things that cause font wrapping, or fonts that I just personally think are too big, I edit myself with Stylish.
But since 1024x768 is still a popular res it makes sense to (at least try to) work around that.

Vitaliy (Administrator) May 03, 2008, 08:03pm EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
"Post Edited On:" can trigger wrapping. Would "Edited: <date>" work with less space?

Better?

On a side note: will column/editorial/review comments ever appear on the Latest Topics page and not just the Latest Topics side bar? There may be higher volume of comments from regular uses on those topics if that were to happen.

I'll try to look at that.. there were some silly technical difficulties, but nothing that can't be overcome. I just never got around to it, partially because those threads don't get too much traffic. But maybe you are right and the reason they don't is because they get lost..

FordGT90Concept May 03, 2008, 09:35pm EDT Report Abuse
Vitaliy (Administrator) said:
Better?

Yup. "Post" of "Edit Post" still wraps but it's not that big of a deal (it has been doing that since I can remember).

Vitaliy (Administrator) said:
I'll try to look at that.. there were some silly technical difficulties, but nothing that can't be overcome. I just never got around to it, partially because those threads don't get too much traffic. But maybe you are right and the reason they don't is because they get lost..

I don't see those threads very often unless I see it in the "Latest Topics" column on the left. The only other way I remember to check it is if I noticed the comment count increased. About half the time, I don't even bother looking because I have to click into the article, into the comment thread, then click on last topics page--too much work. XD

I also noticed a lot of non-regulars reply to the articles but don't even touch the forums. I never figured that one out. :~

Gerritt May 04, 2008, 12:27am EDT Report Abuse
I spend most of my time popping around through the "Latest Topics" frame.
I keep getting shanghied by someone posting on a thread from 2006 or some such.
Can we have a function wherein the thread is LOCKED AUTOMATICALLY after oh about 4-6 months of inactivity?
Some threads do go way back, but are still relevent and still get new postings, I just dislike the ones that are stagnant for a long time then pop again on the Latest topics page.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
May 04, 2008, 12:31am EDT Report Abuse
I actually enjoy those the best. :P I'd rather see them left open.

Gerritt May 04, 2008, 12:50am EDT Report Abuse
McFly,
You are a twisted individual.
Having said that, welcome to the club!
I just don't like seeing them in the Latest Topics frame.
Mayhap if we can leave them in, but filter the Latest Topics frame to exclude them UNLESS you request it, then I'm willing to compromise.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
May 04, 2008, 12:59am EDT Report Abuse
Make a whole new sub-forum, Necroposts, where threads that have been bumped after N months of no postings get crosslinked. That would be neato. :P

FordGT90Concept May 04, 2008, 01:47am EDT Report Abuse
It wouldn't hurt to delete threads after X number of years too. I mean, stuff back from 2000 really isn't going to be very helpful eight years later.

What annoys me the most is people who revive an old thread not to add to solutions to the issue--they add to it their own issue which a search found but most of the time is completely unrelated. It kind of defeats the purpose of keeping old threads around in the first place. :~

FordGT90Concept May 04, 2008, 11:06am EDT Report Abuse
Eh? No Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008 board? :~

Vitaliy (Administrator) May 04, 2008, 11:26am EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Eh? No Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008 board? :~

Done.

Also, by request, I added a "Marketplace" forum. If you have something to sell/trade/buy you can post in this area. For now, we'll be manually moderating this but I think the plan will be to prohibit brand new users from posting here.

FordGT90Concept May 04, 2008, 11:50am EDT Report Abuse
I broke in the new board. :D

May 04, 2008, 01:28pm EDT Report Abuse
Re: locking old threads, maybe if users who attempt to reply to a thread that hasn't gotten a new reply in the last X months/years got a message before they were able to post? Something along the lines of "this thread is crazy old like John McCain, unless your problem relates directly to the topic at hand then please start a new thread"?

Of course that might not stop anybody. :X

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.