Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 862 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 24 - 07:57pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Is the HD-DVD versus Blu-ray format war finally ov...

Re: Is the HD-DVD versus Blu-ray format war finally over? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Mavtech Feb 14, 2008, 08:15am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: Is the HD-DVD versus Blu-ray format war finally over?
One thing I refuse to do is pay full price for these HD movies. $30 for a movie is ridiculous. I own 10 HD-DVDs. 7 of them were free, 2 came in a BOGO package on Amazon ($11 each), and Transformers was $16 after Google Checkout. Hopefully the price comes down one of these days.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Roucek Feb 14, 2008, 01:19pm EST Report Abuse
I had a XBox 360 and got the $200 HD-DVD add on a year or so when it came out. I bought only a few HD-DVD's (all less then $25) and had been happy with it. I recently got a PS-3 with money from some stuff I sold on eBay mainly to play Bluray movies (plus it came with a game and 5 movies after rebate that I am waiting on). I did notice a picture difference on the PS3 after I configured the settings to match my projector (720P) using HDMI. I think Bluray might win this one (maybe Sony learned from their last mistake with Beta). I dont care for Sony but wanted certain movies to enjoy the HD quality.

I mostly rent titles from BB online they had both HD formats and recently added Bluray to one of my local stores so when I return a rental at the store I get a free Bluray rental! They also have a PS3 on display showing hd titles but I dont think the set it up right it looks aweful. Most people dont realize since the PS3 doesnt come with a component or HDMI cable you have to buy seperate it defaults to 480 unless you pic 720 or 1080 (at least mine did). If you use composite you only get 480, makes PS3 look bad not a good move on Sony's part.

If you dont see a big difference from DVD and either HD format your TV probably doesnt have a good HD picture. My 92" screen looks like VHS vs. DVD comparing DVD to either HD format.

We use Off-Air HD and rent HD format movies, no pay TV service for me, but DTV did add a bunch of channels lately so maybe in the near future.

Happy HD viewing!

Tom

PCP777 Feb 14, 2008, 02:11pm EST Report Abuse
I went with an upscaling Phillips DVD player connected HDMI to my LCD TV, most movies come out 720p, the rest come out in 1080i instead of the native 480i. This unit is a 5.1 stereo with radio etc, less than $200 and plays my collection and all my netfix stuff too.

Upscale is the way to go for right now, you can get a good player for under $100 and you don't have to replace everything.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
Rooin Feb 14, 2008, 02:13pm EST Report Abuse
DublinGunner said:
I'll be holding out until one format is the clear winner.

DVD is good enough quality as it is for the time being, I certainly dont feel I'm being 'left out' in any way.

I with you on this one. I still buy movies in DVD format. Its a good picture for the TV I have now. However in 09' when TV-airwaves goes Digital required, I'll make sure my 50in is ready. Hopefully a standard will be set by then, then I'll make the switch.

================================================================
"Even Satan wouldn't use customer service as a form of punishment." - Lucas http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
PCP777 Feb 14, 2008, 05:09pm EST Report Abuse
I'm still using standard DVDs too, but they do look considerably better through the upscaling DVD player.

I don't know that I'll ever make the jump to HD-DVD or Blue Ray but there's no reason to stay stuck in 480i world.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
Julian Innerhofer Feb 15, 2008, 09:06am EST Report Abuse
I dont think, that the war will ever be over: there are allready dual format ROM-drives and dual format stand alone players available and I think it will not take long until there are also Dual format burners available (althought you cannot get any HD-DVD-burners now, you can already get blank HD-DVD-media: http://geizhals.at/?cat=hddvdmed&sort=artikel ).

And I also don't think, that a lot of people will buy the same movie twice. I think most people, who already have a movie on DVD will not buy the same movie on BD or HD-DVD again. All blu-ray players can also read DVDs.

Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 15, 2008, 12:22pm EST Report Abuse
From official Wal-Mart Blog ( http://www.checkoutblog.com/ ):

...by June Wal-Mart will only be carrying BluRay movies and hardware machines...

G. G. Feb 15, 2008, 02:08pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Is the HD-DVD versus Blu-ray format war finally over?
mmmm. mmmm ..mmmmmmmmmmmm

kinda looks like the further we go.... the more Blu-ray is picking up passengers... Walmart is a BIG retail distributor to the consumers.

Does Blu-ray players up convert standard DVDs ???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
G. G. Feb 15, 2008, 02:34pm EST Report Abuse
boy...... the news just keep coming....

http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=11809

Will Toshiba pull the plug on HD DVD?

It's a sad time to be in the HD DVD supporter's camp, but, it has to be even more depressing to be at Toshiba............................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
joseph white Feb 15, 2008, 09:12pm EST Report Abuse
i think blue ray will win, but ill be waiting till there is a winner either way, as i cant afford a hd telly , so it would be pointless

dark41 Feb 16, 2008, 06:13am EST Report Abuse
Like I said, Blu-ray has already won but some consumers still don't know it. Count the companies switching over to Blu-ray exclusively (more every day), then count the companies switching over to HD-DVD exclusively (if you can find any). It's been going in this direction for about a year now.

I've been waiting for prices to become affordable for computer Blu-ray ROM drives and discs. I'll probably go that route well before spending thousands of dollars on a HD home theater system.

But to be honest, at my age I don't see much difference between HD and regular DVDs anymore anyway. Slowly going blind has its advantages. ;)

I'm much more attracted to the realistic surround sound. Maybe I'll dig up one of Sander's old home theater speaker articles and build my own rather than fork out ridiculous amounts of money for a lesser retail store system. :)

EX38-DS5
E8500@4.0GHz (445x9, 1.40v) TRUE Black
Corsair HX620W
2x2gb Kingston HyperX 9600
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
2X1TB F1s (RAID 0) XP Pro/Win7 Ult 64
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1
G5, Antec 1200
varun rao Feb 16, 2008, 11:46am EST Report Abuse
I think Sony has planned it very well with the PS3 being their foundation to launch the blu-ray format.
The console offers a darn good solution with the possibilities of perfomance upgrades via firmware updates (which they have been doing for the past 2 updates which included DivX playback). I'd say anyone looking to upgrade their PC to game (there are always plenty) ought to give the console a look and will find it to be a very good option with the added advantages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Outdated
Gerritt Feb 16, 2008, 10:23pm EST Report Abuse
When G4TV states that HD-DVD is dead, I kind of have to believe them.
They've been wrong before, but they do seem to have a handle on what folks are buying.
The sales of HD-DVD players, as well as titles that are available in both Bluray and HD-DVD, are lagging the Bluray releases.

Is there a possibility that SONY got it right, both technically and as a product? Most developers that I know prefer HD-DVD, but most consumers that I know, prefer Bluray, even those that have XBox360s.

This says something about Bluray.

I'm still not buying either or. But it's starting to appear that BluRay is the winner.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Mavtech Feb 17, 2008, 01:42am EST Report Abuse
I don't see how or why someone would "prefer" one over the other. They both use the same codec and the picture is the same. For movies, they are equal. Why would you care which disk the movie is being read from? The only reason Blu Ray is winning is because they played the game better and more aggressively.

dark41 Feb 17, 2008, 04:32am EST Report Abuse
Well I'm certainly no expert on HD, but seems to me there's some difference if one player/recorder/writer can't read/record/write both formats.

EX38-DS5
E8500@4.0GHz (445x9, 1.40v) TRUE Black
Corsair HX620W
2x2gb Kingston HyperX 9600
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
2X1TB F1s (RAID 0) XP Pro/Win7 Ult 64
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1
G5, Antec 1200
Vitaliy (Administrator) Feb 19, 2008, 11:58am EST Report Abuse
R.I.P. HD-DVD
The format war
You fought well
February 19, 2008

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

vulcan raven Feb 19, 2008, 12:36pm EST Report Abuse
toshiba seemed a little bitter when asked if they have plans to acquire a bluray license, but they dont really have a choice i think, they must come over to the blu side of the force along with microsoft. i can see vista getting better proper bluray support now

--------------------ANTEC cased rig--------------------
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7362136

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.