Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1282 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 12:58pm EST 
Hardware Analysis
      
Forums Product Prices
  Contents 
 
 

  Latest Topics 
 

More >>
 

    
 
 

  You Are Here: 
 
/ Forums / Software /
 

  avg 8.1 slowing down my pc ! 
 
 Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
dan Jul 02, 2008, 11:50am EDT Report Abuse
i've had the old avg for a couple of years now and never had any problems. i downloaded the free 8.1 version today. as soon as i restarted my computer after installation, it has slowed things down quite alot. especially noticeable when skipping through pages on the internet. when a new page loads it seems to freeze for about 3 seconds then its ok again.

i know its avg because i uninstalled it and everything was ok again. as soon as i re installed, it slowed down again.

any ideas?

thanks guys


abit ab9 pro
2 x 1gb ocz pc6400 'ati crossfire' edition
nvidia xfx 7950gx2
intel dual core 2 e6600
western digital raptor 74gb 10k
thermaltake toughpower 750w psu
Want to enjoy fewer advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
TamTheBam Jul 02, 2008, 12:16pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !

I have AVG 8 and I'd problems with the firewall (this was when it was first released)
and it caused a lag not just on the internet, but also on my system. But you say
you have the Free edtion - which's basically AV only. The AntiVirus should not
have any impact on your systems performance at all. But.....
Check to make sure it's not running a scan. I kid you not, when this thing runs
a scan, it makes you pc feel and run like a dinosour?!?!?! I have an OC'd Quad Core,
with extreme ram, and it brings my system to it's knees during a scan.
In my options, I have it set to fast scan - which's maybe what's to blame for this.

As with AVG 7 and lower, I've experienced no problems at all. AVG 8's been
a problem like i mentioned when it was first released. I use Windows firewall, and
never installed AVG 8 Firewall.


....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
john albrich Jul 02, 2008, 12:25pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
I've been reading a few places that the new AVG is very bloated and folks are moving to alternatives...even ones that aren't as easy to use or may not do as good a job. Now that's bloat.

dan Jul 02, 2008, 12:37pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
yeah i've tried everything and nothing is fixing it.

don't know what other (free) alternative anti virus software there is that is any good though...

abit ab9 pro
2 x 1gb ocz pc6400 'ati crossfire' edition
nvidia xfx 7950gx2
intel dual core 2 e6600
western digital raptor 74gb 10k
thermaltake toughpower 750w psu
TamTheBam Jul 02, 2008, 01:48pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !

AVG is about the only free AV there is these days. As far as I'm aware anyways.
Seriously, John, this guy has the AVG Free edition. There should be no problems
with this unless of course he installed the full paid edition which is bloated
and not the free edition. I have also mentioned on another thread relating to
to AVG 8 paid version that you can indeed choose what you want to install.
If anything does install without permission, then you can manually close that particular
app from running. I can see all AV and/or firwwall programs getting bloated.
There's no escaping that.

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
john albrich Jul 02, 2008, 02:25pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
I'd got the impression it impacted the AVG free edition, too. But yep...they all tend to get more resource intensive with each version.

One thing that might help some users in some situations, is to just disable the internet completely when it's not in use, which would allow disabling some of the more resource-hogging scanning services for periods of time.

TamTheBam Jul 02, 2008, 02:46pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !

I've actually thought about not using a firewall altogether! I go to the usual sites, that
are not as harmful as others would be. I think firewall's are a better thing for the
young lads when it comes to surfin particular sites haha!

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Meats_Of_Evil Jul 02, 2008, 04:40pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
Well AVG 7 was phenomenal, never had a problem when I had it, next I moved to AVG 8 and since I had the free version of Zone Alarm's firewall it caused many many crashes with steam games, I couldn't play at all, since it would just randomly lock up. So I uninstalled it tried Avast! and I didn't like it since it has too many stuff that I don't need but It's also a great alternative. Then I found the holy grail, Avira Anti vir, It has the best scanning engine of them all according to a comparison of an antivirus site and it hasn't failed me since. What I like is that it's the exact thing I need, an anti-virus nothing more. Just a simple powerful and free anti-virus. It updates frequently, but it gives you an Ad to buy their software every time it updates which is sometimes a bummer, but can be blocked by a firewall. It scans fairly quick and it has an immense data base of viruses, trojans etc. that gives you info on what it caught on your pc, it reports the damages cause by it and solutions to the problem, they're also categorized by threat levels so you'll know which ones are the real nasty ones. Never had a problem with steam or any other program since I installed it, maybe you should give it a try.

http://www.download.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/...d=10831109



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
Vitaliy (Administrator) Jul 03, 2008, 12:07pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
Perhaps this is a LinkScanner issue described here:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/03/1411254

For example, when you do a search on Google it will download pages for all 10 results, consuming your bandwidth. We've been battling these requests for quite some time now, as they now account for about 1/3 of our server traffic.

TamTheBam Jul 03, 2008, 02:04pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !

Good find Vitality! Just checkin this out just now...

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
dan Jul 03, 2008, 04:04pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
right, i've gone with the avira antivir and its working excellent so far. no lag, pc slowdown, freezing etc. very easy to use, scan is better than avg. so far so good, well impressed.
i'd advise anyone to try it.

thanks meats of evil !

abit ab9 pro
2 x 1gb ocz pc6400 'ati crossfire' edition
nvidia xfx 7950gx2
intel dual core 2 e6600
western digital raptor 74gb 10k
thermaltake toughpower 750w psu
Chris McNally Jul 03, 2008, 05:36pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
Dan - in what regard is the scan "better" than AVG? Not sure what that means....

Regards,

Chris McNally

Moderator - Hardware Analysis
E-mail: chris@hardwareanalysis.com
TamTheBam Jul 03, 2008, 06:55pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !

I just don't get it. Progression is missing here. Just because something doesn't work
properly, you jump ship, and go to the next available option. I'm not defending
AVG, but merely defending all companies. And by progression I mean you're not
grasping the principal of trying to learn why this particular piece of software gave you
so much problems. What's going to happen if this new AV gives you problems?
My AVG is working flawlessly now because I decided to figure out what was the
root of the problem. I've managed to get AVG working the way I want it to work, and
to a certain extent manipulated it to work the way I want it to work.

In fact, all the advice that I have seen on this thread is basically - go try something
else instead. If I chose to do what you done Dan, with any problems involving
anything with my pc/hardware/software, then I wouldn't have the understanding
and knowledge that I have today of computers. I can understand that you want
to just get the problem out of the way, and get something else that works well - or atleast
you think it might - but I think it's better to try to comprehend the nature of the problem
and try to resolve it.

And from what I've read about Avira, it's good, but has a lot of bad points too.
It can detect new threats, but is not good at known threats. Has poor customer
support, but has forums, that are in German. Not good unless you are fluent in German!
And to be honest - gathering from how you're reacting to this AntiVirus - I don't think
you've looked into this AV and read up about it, and just gone and installed it.
Food for thought....

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Meats_Of_Evil Jul 03, 2008, 08:24pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !
dan said:
right, i've gone with the avira antivir and its working excellent so far. no lag, pc slowdown, freezing etc. very easy to use, scan is better than avg. so far so good, well impressed.
i'd advise anyone to try it.

thanks meats of evil !


Hey no problem, I'm glad my advise helped.

Tam the Bam said:

I just don't get it. Progression is missing here. Just because something doesn't work
properly, you jump ship, and go to the next available option. I'm not defending
AVG, but merely defending all companies. And by progression I mean you're not
grasping the principal of trying to learn why this particular piece of software gave you
so much problems. What's going to happen if this new AV gives you problems?
My AVG is working flawlessly now because I decided to figure out what was the
root of the problem. I've managed to get AVG working the way I want it to work, and
to a certain extent manipulated it to work the way I want it to work.

In fact, all the advice that I have seen on this thread is basically - go try something
else instead. If I chose to do what you done Dan, with any problems involving
anything with my pc/hardware/software, then I wouldn't have the understanding
and knowledge that I have today of computers. I can understand that you want
to just get the problem out of the way, and get something else that works well - or atleast
you think it might - but I think it's better to try to comprehend the nature of the problem
and try to resolve it.

And from what I've read about Avira, it's good, but has a lot of bad points too.
It can detect new threats, but is not good at known threats. Has poor customer
support, but has forums, that are in German. Not good unless you are fluent in German!
And to be honest - gathering from how you're reacting to this AntiVirus - I don't think
you've looked into this AV and read up about it, and just gone and installed it.
Food for thought....


I see your point Tam. And after re-reading the entire thread again I realized I forgot to add a possibly fix for the op's problem which was very similar to what was happening to me in additions to other problems when I had AVG 8. I too was experiencing slower searches from google and some java apps or videos were slower loading or not loading at all, so I began to tinker with the settings. I also noticed the AVG toolbar installed in my browser which I forgot to uninstall since it's unnecessary when I use Firefox since it has the multiple search engines on the upper right side. But I came to find that the new security implemented with the toolbar was the culprit in my case, it has a feature called Webshield (Something like that) which verified every link of every page I clicked to make sure it was safe, I wanted to see if it was working so I tested it on what I knew to be bad script pages that give malware and it actually worked, it gave me warnings of the current pages threats and advises. So having no need for it since I have other Anti-spyware tools similar to this I decided to uninstall the toolbar and disable the Webshield in AVG's options, which helped me with the slower loading web pages. Now this was when AVG 8 free was first released; But I read in this thread that there's an 8.1 version which I suppose it may have a performance increase judging from previous AVG updates.

Now the first time I read of Avira was in download.com searching for a new antivirus and then I started a little research on it and found a website (http://www.av-comparatives.org/) that makes comparison between anti viruses which helped me make my straight decision of downloading Avira. It had the best malware detection out of every one tested and one of the fastest scan engines. Now the good thing about Avira is that it uses low memory and takes very little space, but the thing that helps this is that Avira's function is only an Anti-virus and nothing more, it guards your pc just like every other free antivirus but it doesn't scan email, doesn't scan for spyware (which many other free Av's have these days) and I forgot the other thing. Now this is ok with me since I have stand alone products that do this job well but for people with nothing else then I strongly suggest AVG or Avast! since they have mroe of a complete protection than Avira.

Well now the main reason I ended up switching AVG for Avira was because of the crashes with Steam which I use frequently for entertainment. Now my question is: Has AVG 8.1 fixed this problem? I certainly loved AVG 8 features and I would reconsider it again in the future only if this problem has been adressed.

Hope that sums it up a bit lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
TamTheBam Jul 03, 2008, 08:47pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: avg 8.1 slowing down my pc !

Meats said:
Now the first time I read of Avira was in download.com searching for a new antivirus and then I started a little research on it and found a website (http://www.av-comparatives.org/) that makes comparison between anti viruses which helped me make my straight decision of downloading Avira. It had the best malware detection out of every one tested and one of the fastest scan engines. Now the good thing about Avira is that it uses low memory and takes very little space, but the thing that helps this is that Avira's function is only an Anti-virus and nothing more, it guards your pc just like every other free antivirus but it doesn't scan email, doesn't scan for spyware (which many other free Av's have these days) and I forgot the other thing. Now this is ok with me since I have stand alone products that do this job well but for people with nothing else then I strongly suggest AVG or Avast! since they have mroe of a complete protection than Avira.


Lol I didn't address that to you. I was pointing that out to Dan. No pun intended dude.
Anways, the "LinkScanner" was a problem to start with, and I too reinstalled that without
this. But this time, I have it installed, and there's no slow down or like how it was
when it was first released. For the record tho, I can't be certain, but I don't think
webshield nor link scan is included on the free edition? Is it? I can't disclose this since I have the
full paid version.

I'm more than happy with AVG8 now tho. It was frustrating when it was first released,
but nearly all apps, etc are bugged out when they are first released.
But I think Dan's problems may have been more related to conflicts rather than
the software itself?

In faaaaact,to make things more securer, AV/FIREWALL suites are gonna have to
take more time to do things. What AVG is doing now, is what ZA has been doing
with there suites for a long time. And maybe that is the niche in the market that AVG
has recognised? Who knows?? But with all the threats, security issues, etc, etc,
I personally think the likes of AVG are doing a good job.

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)


 

    
 
 

  Topic Tools 
 
RSS UpdatesRSS Updates
 

  Related Articles 
 
 

  Newsletter 
 
A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.