Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 320 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 01 - 10:48pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Presidential Debate 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
DarK_SlayeR Sep 29, 2008, 04:12pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Presidential Debate
And one more thing, I agree with Sean. Deathmatch time!!! Though, that might be unfair for the Old Man ;)

-------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ stock
Asus P5Q Pro P45
2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb Superclocked
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
FordGT90Concept Sep 29, 2008, 04:35pm EDT Report Abuse
Dow closed with the largest, single-day point drop in history at -777.68 points (almost 100 points worse than after 9/11). S&P is down over 8%. As McCain said, this is only the "end of the beginning." Knowing the bill didn't pass, I'd say even that statement is optimistic. This is bad.

Sean Costello Sep 29, 2008, 04:38pm EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Dow closed with the largest, single-day point drop in history at -777.68 points (almost 100 points worse than after 9/11). S&P is down over 8%. As McCain said, this is only the "end of the beginning." Knowing the bill didn't pass, I'd say even that statement is optimistic. This is bad.

beat you to it:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/72589/

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
Beavis Khan Sep 29, 2008, 04:51pm EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:

DsL.Dilbert said:
Another question more to do with this thread is this: who do you think will bring the most/best change to the economic situation?

Understand the the President has little control over this situation. The most power he/she has is through appointments and rallying Congress. Obama and McCain have pretty much been saying the same stuff.

Given that McCain's chief economic adviser is Phil Gramm, I have a hard time taking him seriously when it comes to matters of the economy. If that's the sort of person McCain will bring along with his administration (I have very little doubt that McCain will win the election), we're going to wish for the good old days of George W. Bush and company.

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
Beavis Khan Sep 29, 2008, 04:58pm EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:

Just by point of reference, 1987's "Black Monday" pushed the Dow down by ~500 points, but that was a 22%+ drop in value - equivalent to well over a 2000 point drop in today's market.

It's still bad, though...

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
Gerritt Sep 29, 2008, 06:55pm EDT Report Abuse
I just can't figure out how any of this is good for anyone in MY position.
My stocks have dropped precariously for the last year or better. Luckly, I've not bought a lot of stocks in that timeframe.
Given that I do not have a Corporate or Governmental guarantee, I'm sucking hind teet.
The extended WAR in IRAQ alone is enough for me to see a detriment.
The combination of the WAR in IRAQ plus the other debits on "mainstreet", is enough to destroy the remainder of my holdings.

Ford, I'd like to ask, how much of your gross worth is in the stock market? How much is in the mortgage on your house? For me, it's 45% and 50%.
If you had 95% plus of your capital involved in the market, is it possible that you would have a different viewpoint?

If not, nuff said. It's broken, whatever "it" is.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
FordGT90Concept Sep 29, 2008, 07:18pm EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan said:
FordGT90Concept said:

Just by point of reference, 1987's "Black Monday" pushed the Dow down by ~500 points, but that was a 22%+ drop in value - equivalent to well over a 2000 point drop in today's market.

It's still bad, though...

Yeah. Percentage wise, it wasn't the biggest. Mind you, I can't see the worst day not coming in the near future. This is only the beginning whether or not the bill passed, it is inevitable. I don't mean to sound doom and gloom but anyone looking at this situation and being optimistic is being ignorant. This is not going to go away overnight.

Gerritt said:
Ford, I'd like to ask, how much of your gross worth is in the stock market? How much is in the mortgage on your house? For me, it's 45% and 50%.
If you had 95% plus of your capital involved in the market, is it possible that you would have a different viewpoint?

Zero, zero, what viewpoint (subject, that is)?

BoT Sep 30, 2008, 11:38pm EDT Report Abuse
bail my tail

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
FordGT90Concept Oct 08, 2008, 01:18am EDT Report Abuse
Debate: Round 2

Transcript: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/07/presidential.debate.tra...index.html

What strikes me is that 60% of people polled immediately afterwards said McCain was was more negative than Obama (30%); however, the numbers do not stack up:

-Obama said "9/11" twice. No one else mentioned it.

-Obama said "eight years" (reference to Bush) nine times. No one else mentioned it.

-Obama said "Bush" nine times, McCain three times, Brokaw once.

-Obama said his opponents name 45 times, McCain 33 times.

Yet, McCain gets slammed for being too negative? What this tells me is there is not a little bit of bias in favor of Obama, there is a lot. Assuming the poll was about equal to the general population (which CNN claimed it was close incluing about 33% of registered Democrats, Independants, and Republicans) that basically means that no matter what McCain says or does, Democrats and Independants will look away.

I'm going to hit the transcripts again for more analysis...

Regardless, this is looking impossible for Republicans as far back as the week of the first debate when the economy tanked. Coincidence, I think not.

BoT Oct 08, 2008, 01:22am EDT Report Abuse
....go with the flow

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
FordGT90Concept Oct 08, 2008, 01:50am EDT Report Abuse

FordGT90Concept Oct 08, 2008, 04:03am EDT Report Abuse
I wrote an app to process the transcript. These are the results...

-I am only including the list of words that got double-digit usage from the candidate for the sake of not spamming 2000 lines.
-I have also parsed out the words that mean nothing like to, the, that, and, of, etc.
-The list is in "Count Word" format.
-This seeks to answer the question, "What did they really talk about?"

Obama (Unique Words: 1355; Word Count: 7083)
38 mccain
25 health
21 tax
20 energy
16 president
15 understand
14 billion
14 right
13 deal
12 insurance
11 spending
11 change
11 government
10 country
10 iran

McCain (Unique Words: 1306; Word Count: 6498)
26 obama
17 health
16 tax
13 working
13 economy
13 states
13 record
12 tom
11 nuclear
11 home
11 taxes
11 country
10 security
10 jobs
10 understand
10 government
10 spending

So, we can sum up Obama's and McCain's side of the story from the 5 most used words by each:

Obama: mccain, health, tax, energy, president
McCain: obama, health, tax, working, economy

Now lets replace the specifics with a word to describe their subjects from most emphasis to least:

Obama: opponent, issue, issue, issue, opponent
McCain: opponent, issue, issue, issue, issue

I'll let you judge on that one. It should be noted that I ommitted a lot of high ranking words because they aren't really an issue or an attack on the opponent. The number of times these words are used are quite startling:
McCain
25 america
22 friends
17 thank
17 americans

Totals from everyone not running including Brokaw and everyone else that asked a question to the candidates (basically the issues raised--answered or not). I have included very low numbers in this list because some things were only asked once:
Nonpartisan Totals (Unique Words: 666; Word Count: 2218)
9 economic
6 security
5 health
4 economy
4 medicare
4 entitlement
4 reform
4 energy
4 doctrine
3 israel
3 social
3 drunk
2 policies
2 afghanistan
2 commander
2 diplomatic
2 bomb
2 russia
2 evil
2 foreign
2 deficit
2 humanitarian
2 commodity
2 industry
2 military
2 secretary

So the primary issues were (no surprises here):

1. economic
2. security
3. health
4. economy
5. medicare

Beavis Khan Oct 08, 2008, 07:56am EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:

-This seeks to answer the question, "What did they really talk about?"

Obama: blah blah blah, blah blah blah

McCain: blah blah, my friends, blah blah

On a more serious note, did McCain really say that Meg Whitman would be a good pick for Treasury Secretary? Sweet, the US government can start overpaying for companies with no revenue, and maybe even start working on our shill bidding technique! :~

Bend over America, because we're f**ked no matter who wins. f**kED.

____

- H.L. Mencken
Bitmap Oct 08, 2008, 10:34am EDT Report Abuse

Before I say anything, I'm going to state that I missed this debate, so I'm not certain of the context of using the word "president," but from what I saw in the last debate, rarely was he referring to Bush. It was almost always in the phrase "when I become President." So I think a more accurate interpretation would be opponent, issue, issue, issue, [personal] goal.

My 2 cents.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
FordGT90Concept Oct 08, 2008, 10:56am EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan said:
Obama: blah blah blah, blah blah blah

McCain: blah blah, my friends, blah blah

"Friends" had a lot of hits by McCain. Third only to "Obama" and "America."

Beavis Khan said:
On a more serious note, did McCain really say that Meg Whitman would be a good pick for Treasury Secretary?

The full quote:
You know, that's a tough question and there's a lot of qualified Americans. But I think the first criteria, Tom, would have to be somebody who immediately Americans identify with, immediately say, we can trust that individual.

A supporter of Sen. Obama's is Warren Buffett [chairman of Berkshire Hathaway]. He has already weighed in and helped stabilize some of the difficulties in the markets and with companies and corporations, institutions today.

I like Meg Whitman [former CEO of eBay and current McCain campaign adviser], she knows what it's like to be out there in the marketplace. She knows how to create jobs. Meg Whitman was CEO of a company that started with 12 people and is now 1.3 million people in America make their living off eBay. Maybe somebody here has done a little business with them.

But the point is it's going to have to be somebody who inspires trust and confidence. Because the problem in America today to a large extent, Tom, is that we don't have trust and confidence in our institutions because of the corruption on Wall Street and the greed and excess and the cronyism in Washington, D.C.

Bitmap said:

Before I say anything, I'm going to state that I missed this debate, so I'm not certain of the context of using the word "president," but from what I saw in the last debate, rarely was he referring to Bush. It was almost always in the phrase "when I become President." So I think a more accurate interpretation would be opponent, issue, issue, issue, [personal] goal.

President Bush:
Obama: 4
McCain: 1

President (less Bush):
Obama: 12
McCain: 4

If we were to throw out the "president" result, the next issue result would be:
0.17% 12 insurance

Beavis Khan Oct 08, 2008, 11:13am EDT Report Abuse
Yes, I saw the context - my point was, eBay is one of the least trustworthy names I can think of, and were I him, I would not want to be touting Meg Whitman's credentials by mentioning it. The fact that John McCain has no idea that eBay has become a cesspool of scams, shams, and shills is not surprising. Add to that some very questionable acquisitions, and you can color me unimpressed. Then again, we already have a man who is basically a crook in the Secretary's seat right now, so maybe it's no big deal. He (edit: McCain) says we need someone we can trust (we do), and then points out someone with high qualifications, but very little trustworthiness (IMHO, of course).

Anyway, I do have to give McCain credit for providing even a poor answer - something which seemed too much for Senator Obama, other than to parrot the Warren Buffet suggestion from McCain. Brokaw reminded the candidates of their obligations with regard to length of time to answer, but (as in other debates this year), let them get away with many non-answers. Irritating.

____

- H.L. Mencken
FordGT90Concept Oct 08, 2008, 11:24am EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan said:
The fact that John McCain has no idea that eBay has become a cesspool of scams, shams, and shills is not surprising.

I know it is a problem of member abuse (people in China trying to get people to buy a product and route money through 20 banks while never receiving a product from the seller) but, corporate abuse?

Beavis Khan said:
Brokaw reminded the candidates of their obligations with regard to length of time to answer, but (as in other debates this year), let them get away with many non-answers. Irritating.

The rules made it clear that they would be able to do that as there was no time for followups, the cameras couldn't even look at the person that asked the question to get see a reaction, and they were not supposed to leave a little circle around their chair. Basically, both candidates broke the rules which I thought was good. They were phoney rules in the first place; however, Brokaw should have been holding them accountable for answering the questions which he failed to do.

Beavis Khan Oct 08, 2008, 11:30am EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Beavis Khan said:
The fact that John McCain has no idea that eBay has become a cesspool of scams, shams, and shills is not surprising.

I know it is a problem of member abuse (people in China trying to get people to buy a product and route money through 20 banks while never receiving a product from the seller) but, corporate abuse?

Ebay is what it is because management lets it be that way. If they valued integrity more than their commissions, it would be a very different site today. I certainly acknowledge that policing millions of members/auctions is a difficult task, but at the end of the day, Ebay's management gets the "credit" for both failures and successes.

Edit - I seem to have permanent quote tag stupidity disease now. Fixed.

____

- H.L. Mencken
FordGT90Concept Oct 08, 2008, 11:55am EDT Report Abuse
Yeah, they could and should be doing a better job at policing for predators but they aren't, by any means, an epic fail. What is sad is how Obama had time to think about it and only repeated a name from McCain. Obama should have had a much better answer there.

Bungle Oct 08, 2008, 12:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan said:

Bend over America, because we're f**ked no matter who wins. f**kED.

Can we just put every elegible person in the countrys name into a hat and draw one out? (just make sure to remove Barack Hussien Obama and John Sidney McCain since we've already established that they are both duche bags)

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.