Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 498 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 05:31am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Car Audio .. **** Computers 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
FordGT90Concept Oct 04, 2008, 02:26pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Car Audio .. **** Computers
Because we want to. Very few cars are stick anymore so...

Supreet Virdi Oct 04, 2008, 02:37pm EDT Report Abuse
Just noticed that almost the whole world drive on left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right

Good we drive on right :D :P

FordGT90Concept Oct 04, 2008, 03:57pm EDT Report Abuse
Most people are right-handed and it takes more coordination to shift than to steer so it makes sense why driving on the right ultimately prevailed. The only places that drive on the left anymore were heavily influenced by Britain.

China modeled their highway system after USA Interstate System which was in turn modeled after the German Autobahn.

Ackward how Japan drives on the left. :~

Supreet Virdi Oct 05, 2008, 11:01am EDT Report Abuse
Honestly, I find it normal while driving a car with steering on the right side, not much difficulty, its like normal, you know where I am coming from? Its just OK not much trouble, don't know why there would be.

Anyways, back to the topic. Amplifiers does make sense, specially if you like BASS, DEEP and TIGHT ;) lol if you know what I mean ;) heheh

I'm planning to get MONO BLOC amp and another sub ;)

Dr. Peaceful Oct 08, 2008, 12:40am EDT Report Abuse
Shame on you Supreet. How can you betray the HWA community to hobby on audios instead of computers?! Shame on you! XD, j/k.

Just stick a computer inside your car, there you can keep both hobbies! You can play Crysis while driving, just mod the wind shield into a PC display. Heck you can play Grid, if you mod your steering column and pedals to be doubled as game controllers. Just make sure your other eye is paying attention to the real traffic. ;) Computer also = audio, you can enjoy all you want in that aspect.

Go ask the Brits, why is there a reason to steer on the right seat and drive on the left side of road. It doesn't make any damn sense! Just the way that the pedals are situated next to the door already doesn't look correct (yes, you still use your right foot for the pedals for those who wonders). Not to mention most people can't easily shift gears with the left hand.

G. G. Oct 08, 2008, 09:08am EDT Report Abuse
Supreet Virdi said:
That's simply amazing G.G. I like your car, and those fishes were so sweet! :)

I'm currently employed, but once I'm unemployed it'll be difficult to keep up with the hobbies, to be honest, I'm fed up with the job already, boy I wish I could do something new now, as it is really getting frustrating for me too.

Thank you Supreet, hobbies are a good thing...

oh by the way... dont listen to Dragon in regards to turning your windsheild into a display for playing GRID... ahahahha.... I can see it now... turning your windshield into a heads up display.... you playing GRID at the same time driving down the road... but what really happens in the eyes of the outsiders is they see a maniac going down the road swerving, hitting trash cans, hitting other cars, ridding on the sidewalks, going through stop lights.... ..... OH WAIT..... that is normal driving there isnt it? OK.... go ahead and turn that windshield into a heads up display for GRID.... LOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
G. G. Oct 08, 2008, 09:19am EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan said:
G. G. said:

GG, I'm gonna give you a call in a couple years when my "tractor" is due for an engine rebuild :) BTW, how many years worth of carbon was that? Those were some crusty cylinder heads!

Beavis,

You can call me anytime you want.... and we'll talk turning wrenches... unfortunately that crusty cylinder heads and pistons was after 3.5yrs of use.... it is a very long story to the short life of this 26HP B&S V-twin... But the short story is - B&S designed a bad filter system, never did a recall or put out a bulletin and will never admit to the bad design..... The consequences is that this bad design allowed dirt/dust to by-pass the filter and allowing it to go directly into the combustion chambers... well after a few short years... the final cause is damaged cylinder walls and wornout rings. That dirt/dust is like course sand paper to the walls and rings. Well, I went through doing an engine rebuild... it now runs great and no smoking..... BUT...... after the rebuild, i found out some information as to why my engine started smoking after a few short years from a website called http://www.mytractorforum.com , If you scan the threads you will see my posts. I post in catagory Craftsman Forum, Small Engine forum, and Off topic forum... I found out that the years after my particular engine design.... B&S had redesign 3 different type of filter system (two minor and 1 major).... I went round and round with B&S for three months..... and finally they replaced my engine with a brand new one that contained the latest filter design that eliminated the dirt ingestion problem. So my tractor now has a brand new engine....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Beavis Khan Oct 08, 2008, 09:43am EDT Report Abuse
Wow, what a horror story (I too like MTF and post very occasionally by the way...though I think my account is "Vince-RA" over there). Good thing I have the 21hp Intek V-Twin without the "extended life" designation. I admit I did just run downstairs and rip my filter off - fortunately it looks like the intake is totally clean. Is there a list somewhere of the engines that suffer from this problem? I suspect I'd already be in trouble if mine did, as the previous owner (good buddy of mine) used it in seriously dusty conditions for about 3 years.

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
G. G. Oct 08, 2008, 10:34am EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan said:
Good thing I have the 21hp Intek V-Twin without the "extended life" designation. I admit I did just run downstairs and rip my filter off - fortunately it looks like the intake is totally clean. Is there a list somewhere of the engines that suffer from this problem? .

Beavis,

my account name on that site is gg_gt5000. There are several threads that talks about this situation. Also, there are several folks that had this exact issue and one by one had their engines replaced. Mostly under warranty... BUT.... it is possible outside the warranty period, only that you have to be very persistant. In my particular case, my engine was out of warranty by 1.5yrs. It was said that most engine will have this issue within the warranty period but I believe that it is because that I have kept my engine spot cleaned and the use of Mobil 1 synthetic oils that pushed the problem issue well beyond the warranty period.

In regards to which engine are affected........ it is the 21HP and up V-twin for both the Intek and Intek Extended Series. The original problematic design was with the flat panel filter with the D shape intake with a single yellow clip holding down the filter cover.... this was the worse design... Later on, they changed the filter cover to a 2 or 4 bolt hold down but still using the same flat filter with the D shape intake.... this design is better but is still prone to the dirt ingestion but not as bad as the original yellow clip.... The final design was a cover with 2 bolt hold down and a totally different filter. This filter is a round/oval cartridge design. This design eliminated the original problem of dirt/dust ingestion.

Just do a search on me, gg_gt5000 or ELS engine, filter, smoking, at MTF and you will see all the stories that folks went through. The threads are mostly located in the Craftsman forum and Small engine repair forum....

The way you can tell if you engine is having problem with filtering out the dirt is to look at the intake walls.... if you see dirt/dust clinging the to walls..... you are sucking in dirt.

So far my new engine is doing well and it has 8hrs on it. I added an hour meter to my tractor when the new engine was installed. Right now I need to change the oil as this is the first breakin period.. when I go to change the oil in the next couple days.... I am going to install an oil pressure gauge for some added bling to my tractor. Down the road I want to add a TACH to the dash as well... by the way... this first oil change I will change with regular dino oil... at the 16hr mark I will switch to Mobil 1 synthetic.

-
Michael C Oct 08, 2008, 10:54am EDT Report Abuse
Well I broke down and bought 4 new speakers for my car yesteday, but they sound awesome!!! haha. I got two 6 1/2 Infinity 6022i for the front($213$) and two 6x9 Infinitys for the back($280). There's a huge difference and they sound very awesome but now I need a deck, sub and amp...which I'm getting soon =)

Beavis Khan Oct 08, 2008, 10:54am EDT Report Abuse
G. G. said:

The way you can tell if you engine is having problem with filtering out the dirt is to look at the intake walls.... if you see dirt/dust clinging the to walls..... you are sucking in dirt.

So far my new engine is doing well and it has 8hrs on it. I added an hour meter to my tractor when the new engine was installed. Right now I need to change the oil as this is the first breakin period.. when I go to change the oil in the next couple days.... I am going to install an oil pressure gauge for some added bling to my tractor. Down the road I want to add a TACH to the dash as well... by the way... this first oil change I will change with regular dino oil... at the 16hr mark I will switch to Mobil 1 synthetic.

I did read through your threads, sounded like a serious pain in the ass! Always nice to find someone in the know to be on your side though - lot better way to get results from a company like B&S than doing it on your own.

Anyway, I do have the D-shaped intake, but the filter cover has two bolts - so I guess it's the slightly improved model. The intake is pristine (which is hard to believe), so I'll keep my fingers crossed and make sure I'm extra careful when changing the filters. Looks to me like the gasket/seal on the filter assembly is the really important part - I could see disaster striking very easily if this were to crack or dry out. Good thing it's so humid here in NC! If hobbies were easy, they wouldn't be much fun....right??? :) Let me know how the tach mod goes, btw - sounds nice.

Edit - and Mobil 1, you freak! :P I was actually considering the same thing as it's cheap enough at Costco that the price difference doesn't make me feel quite as bad. I do use 93 octane gasoline in it, just because I figure the mower can use all the detergents it can get in such a dirty environment (I know the extra octane is pointless). I guess going syn for oil is the same principle.

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
G. G. Oct 08, 2008, 11:26am EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan said:

I did read through your threads, sounded like a serious pain in the ass! Always nice to find someone in the know to be on your side though - lot better way to get results from a company like B&S than doing it on your own.

Beavis,

I had rebuilt my original engine..... tore that sucker down to pieces as you had seen in my pics.... put it all back together... looked around and didnt see extra parts lying around, which is a good thing.... she worked all good.... BUT.... I had to make a decision when B&S said they would replace my engine with a new one.... get a new one and give up my original engine (which now I know what I had put into it to get it right) or just keep my original engine... I could not keep both... had to give one up.... After thinking about it... I decided to go for the new engine (originally the old engine cost me 150.00 to do the rebuild).... but it cost me an additional 150 to get the new engine installed because B&S stipulated that a MasterTech shop had to do the install at my cost...... so in the end it cost me 300.00 for the new engine... which is ok with me because a new retail engine would have been 1400.00.... the lowest I have seen my engine was around 850.00 without shipping cost. Also with the new engine, I can do two rebuilds whereas with the old engine there would have been one rebuild left before it becomes recycle material.

Good thing it's so humid here in NC!

ummmmmmm.... what part.

as for me... does Raleigh sound familiar?

-
G. G. Oct 08, 2008, 11:33am EDT Report Abuse
Michael C said:
Well I broke down and bought 4 new speakers for my car yesteday, but they sound awesome!!! haha. I got two 6 1/2 Infinity 6022i for the front($213$) and two 6x9 Infinitys for the back($280). There's a huge difference and they sound very awesome but now I need a deck, sub and amp...which I'm getting soon =)

Michael,

I sure hope you didnt actually paid the price you listed above for each of the speaker pairs....

Infinity 6022i 6 1/2 = 69.99 @ Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2oMG8YDKDYl/App/Product/Item/Main...i=1086022I

Infinity 9622i 6x9 = 139.99 @ Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=52300&...&tp=91

Personally for me.... I like Polk Audio... I have a set of these in my Miata

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=410&am...amp;tp=106

-
Beavis Khan Oct 08, 2008, 01:40pm EDT Report Abuse
You definitely did the right thing on the engine, assuming you're planning to keep it for a good while. BTW, just got back from Costco, and Mobil 1 is now $32 for 6 qts - been awhile since I priced oil, but that seems a little steep (especially considering I think I paid like $25 for a 2.5gal/10 qt jug of 30HD this spring). Of course, lots cheaper than a new engine, I suppose... :_) Where do you buy your oil? I can't use the same weight in my car unfortunately (Honda...needs 5w20, or 0w20 synthetic), so I'd just be buying in lawnmower quantities.

G. G. said:

Good thing it's so humid here in NC!

ummmmmmm.... what part.

as for me... does Raleigh sound familiar?

I'm in Orange country, just outside Hillsborough - I could have sworn we talked about this before, but maybe I'm just going senile. Or maybe you are ;)

____

- H.L. Mencken
Michael C Oct 08, 2008, 02:12pm EDT Report Abuse
The reason it cost so much is because of this:

6x9s -

177$ for speaker cost
39$ for installation of speakers
30$ for 3 year warranty service plan(very good one)
5$ for materials
+ tax

So that is much more convenient than ordering parts from a US website that I've never heard of(they also don't ship to Canada) with no warranty and installation.

Plus I tested the ones I was getting before I bought them, so I think it makes sense doesn't it?

G. G. Oct 08, 2008, 04:21pm EDT Report Abuse
I want to keep my Craftsman GT5000 for as long as possible, forever that is, especially with limited funds. I would love to get a John Deere X500 series tractor... but being that it starts at 5500.00 is just WAY out of my price league.... So I will want to keep my tractor going as long as possible.. If you see it.. it looks brand new.

Beavis Khan said:
Where do you buy your oil? I can't use the same weight in my car unfortunately (Honda...needs 5w20, or 0w20 synthetic), so I'd just be buying in lawnmower quantities.

I get my Mobil 1 at Walmart. It comes in a 5qt jug. I use 5-30W. It runs at 22.95 per jug. I use this weight in everything I have. '01 Mazda Protege SE2.0, '94 Mazda Miata, 5HP Tiller, 5HP chipper/shredder, Honda Harmony selfpropel mower, GT-5000 26HP Tractor, Honda 5KVA 11HP Generator and finally on my motorcycle 88 Suzuki GSXR-750 I use 20-50W Mobil 1. So Mobil definately get their money worth out of me..... But walmart is the place to get Mobil 1 products.

Beavis Khan said:
I'm in Orange country, just outside Hillsborough - I could have sworn we talked about this before, but maybe I'm just going senile. Or maybe you are ;)

I remember now.... I think you and I was supposed to meet and go out to get some wonderful greasey BoJangles chicken, dirty rice, and sweet tea... over there on 15-501 in durham (i think)... Im always up to getting some BoJangles to put my innards on overtime. MMMM good going in and OOHHHH My going out.... LOL...... I'm still senile... lol (i'm in Wake county about three miles from Crossroads Shopping Center in Cary)

-
Michael C Oct 08, 2008, 04:42pm EDT Report Abuse
I am buying a new sub but am unsure of which to get. What should I get out of these 2? I'm thinking the Pioneer? Both come with a box which is good but is the one with the Infinity better for some reason?

Infinity -

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=BDL1000...;langid=EN

Pioneer -

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=BDL1000...;langid=EN

G. G. Oct 08, 2008, 05:08pm EDT Report Abuse
Michael,

I forgot that you were in Canada..... so prices will vary for sure...

As for Crutchfield..... it is a very well know company here in the US.... it is along the lines like our Newegg for computers.... Crutchfield deals with audio for mobile and home... They are a definately a place to use as reference or to purchase.

Regarding your subs...... well, I think both are fine BUT... first off.... what type of vehicle are you putting all this equipement into?

-
FingerMeElmo87 Oct 08, 2008, 05:14pm EDT Report Abuse
should have went carputer route, chief

Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.41Ghz w/ Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
G.Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-15
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
VisionTek HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
500GB Seagate 7200.12 - Windows 7 RC1
Hiper Type-R 580 WATT PSU
Michael C Oct 08, 2008, 05:39pm EDT Report Abuse
I'll be putting this into a 2003 Toyota Corolla. I'm pretty sure the Pioneer looks like the better option but am still unsure. The amp I'm looking at getting is a Rockford and it appears a Sony deck.

This the the deck I'm thinking of getting, look decent enough? I don't need any fancy USB features as I'll be just using CD's anyway.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&lan...amp;catid=

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.