Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 331 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 01 - 10:49pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Cooling and Airflow /

Brand new CPU fan. CPU running 50% hotter than ever! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Joshua Marius, LeThe Oct 12, 2008, 02:58pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Brand new CPU fan. CPU running 50% hotter than ever!

Joshua Marius
http://www.letheonline.net
-----------------------------
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Intel SSDSC2CW180A3 180 GB
RAID 1: Seagate ST3750528AS 750 GB
CORSAIR Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
FordGT90Concept Oct 12, 2008, 03:41pm EDT Report Abuse
But, can you ever directly attribute a BSOD to heat? BSODs are caused by a switch not operating correctly for whatever reason (over stressed or defective). Heat is produced by doing work. The harder you push an electronic component, the more heat it produces. Because of the safe guards, heat usually leads to outright component failure (burned up) rather than a BSOD.

GtoX (capt Guns) Oct 12, 2008, 04:35pm EDT Report Abuse
i have that cpu cooler on my other rig, and its overclocked to 3.2ghz on a e6600, and im idling at 36-38, and load is about 42-43c degrees.. really weird, but that fan is ultra quiet.. in the beginning it doesnt even turn on until it reaches a certain temperature..
maybe its a faulty cooler perhaps? the Thermal monitor on it might be wack..

Main Rig--- 2700k @ 3.7ghz ,Scythe Samurai ZZ @ 54c load ASUS DCII GTX570 780mhz@64c load, P8P67-m Pro, 2x4gb xms3 1333mhz, 128gb SSD + 4x500gb lagring, OCZ Modxstream Pro 600watt, In-win Dragon Slayer 140mm+120+96mm,120mm
Joshua Marius, LeThe Oct 12, 2008, 05:18pm EDT Report Abuse
But, can you ever directly attribute a BSOD to heat?

Actually, I don't have an answer to this question. Maybe it is a very rare case, because as you mentioned, heat may stress out a component or make it defective. So is it possible that a switch that causes a BSOD be triggered by heat stressing out the component? Seems possible.

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Nathan Daniels Oct 12, 2008, 06:59pm EDT Report Abuse
I only changed the voltage by .1 volts and I ran two instances of prime95 (one per core) for 12 hours and no errors so I figured I had a good overclock.

--------
"The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war."
-Patton
FordGT90Concept Oct 12, 2008, 07:20pm EDT Report Abuse
Joshua Marius said:
So is it possible that a switch that causes a BSOD be triggered by heat stressing out the component? Seems possible.

Heat makes the transistors respond quicker as the electrons can flow more freely. BSODs generally don't indicate serious component failure (which is what heat does); they indicate that something is not behaving as it should. The only time I would consider a BSOD being directly to blame is if the computer BSODs right before component burn up (nasty stench). For instance, if the computer were running and someone took the HSF off it. It may BSOD right before the processor starts on fire. In which case, things have to happen in a very specific order (the major parts of the processor must work but one part has to return a bad result to produce, and then display a BSOD) to very specific memory addresses (those directly related to the operating system) so it is very long odds to happen.

Gerritt Oct 12, 2008, 07:50pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm a bit late to this conversation, and am suprised that no one has mentioned HONING, or Polishing.
The 2mm gap in the initial installation seems to indicate to me that there is a defect in either the HSF (Heat Sink FAN) or IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) assemblies.
I polish all of my surfaces to as close to a mirror surface as possible, then use a high quality thermal compound. Using too much is just as bad as not enough. and the grain of rice thing actually depends on what type of rice you are used to. There are long, medium and short grain rice varients. Most Thermal Compounds come in syringe type applicators, and you need to have about enough thermal compound spread across the center of the IHS to incorporate at least half the distance from the edges with a minimal spread.
The "squish" factor should permit the spread from the center to the edges, you should never spread it yourself. A slight twist of the HSF upon seating, should close any gaps before you lock it down, but if you lift it to look, you're screwed.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Joshua Marius, LeThe Oct 12, 2008, 08:13pm EDT Report Abuse

Gerritt, are you referring to Heatsink Lapping?

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Gerritt Oct 12, 2008, 08:17pm EDT Report Abuse
Yes.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Joshua Marius, LeThe Oct 12, 2008, 08:20pm EDT Report Abuse

Yeah, I know a bit better by that name. I read about lapping many years ago but never got a chance to play around with it, What have you noticed in your experience? Does this really work or are people just being affected by a placebo?

Now that you reminded me of it I may give it a shot.

Here is are some Guides on Heatsink Lapping:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

http://www.directron.com/hsflapping.html

http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/coolers/lapping/

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=441460

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/PC-Cooling/Heat-Sink-Lapping/1/

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
G. G. Oct 12, 2008, 08:57pm EDT Report Abuse
Nathan,

I agree with Gerritt. I think something is going on with the contact surfaces between the IHS and HSF. It is either the way the HSF is mounted that is not allowing the HS to make proper contact OR.... one of the two contacting surfaces is defective...

Take a razor or something that has a good straight edge and place it across the HSF and IHS at all different angles... If you see daylight between the straight edge and the surface.... you have a warpy surface.....

Im inclined to say that you have something wrong with the eBay HSF... as your stock HSF was working as it was designed...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
FordGT90Concept Oct 12, 2008, 10:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Joshua Marius said:
Yeah, I know a bit better by that name. I read about lapping many years ago but never got a chance to play around with it, What have you noticed in your experience? Does this really work or are people just being affected by a placebo?

I only ever lapped one heatsink because the damn thing was cutting my fingers. XD

I can't say it helped temperature-wise but it did save me a few mL of blood. :)

The only time I saw temps in the 60+ range on a Core 2 is when the HSF was not properly mounted to the motherboard. You could try tightening it but don't take it off until you have new thermal compound.

Andrew S Oct 12, 2008, 11:45pm EDT Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:

The only time I saw temps in the 60+ range on a Core 2 is when the HSF was not properly mounted to the motherboard. You could try tightening it but don't take it off until you have new thermal compound.

My thoughts also. Heat sinks are notoriously difficult to install on some boards. It could be that the plastic pins are not fully inserted. Failing that, one or more retaining lugs has been compressed and is not holding the cooler in position.

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abit IP35 Pro - Q6600 - Coolermaster Hyper TX2 - 850 Antec Quattro
3 x Raptors Raid 0 - 8800GT - 4Gb Team Dark PC 8500 - Logitech G9
Joshua Marius, LeThe Oct 13, 2008, 01:58am EDT Report Abuse

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS
Dublin_Gunner Oct 13, 2008, 04:33am EDT Report Abuse
If the standard cooler was working OK, I'd say your issues are most likely:
A) Thermal compaound needs to be completely replaced, as you did not clean it thoroughly the first time. You need to take the heatsink of, and clean the CPU heatspreader and the bottom of the heatsink properly, then apply thermal paste according to AS instructions on their site, and re-seat the heatsink.

B) The heatsink is not mounted properly. The push-pin type (such as your cooler) can be difficult to mount properly, dont be afraid of using a little extra force (though dont break anything obviously!) but the heatsink should not be able to move when its seated correctly. This is most likely the reason for your high temps, the thermal paste might attribute to a max of about 10 degrees celsius (and only that high because you re-used it).

C) you have a concave heatspreader or heatsink. As the previous cooler worked fine, the heatspreader on your CPU is most likely fine also. You might want to check the bottom of the heatsink, just to make sure.

D) you have increased the voltage too much when overclocking. You said you only increased it by 0.1V, so that seems pretty safe.

Before doing anything though, put everything back to stock speeds, ensure the heatsink is working properly, the try overclock again.

Ford - heat certainly can attribute to a BSOD. Heat causes instability (due to electron tunneling mostly), which of course can cause instructions to run incorrectly, not at all, or give bogus results - all of which can lead to an application error or BSOD. Its only in the extreme where heat can really cause a catastrophic component failure (i.e. running at 80c+ continually would have that effect failry rapidly I'm sure)

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Nathan Daniels Oct 20, 2008, 02:38pm EDT Report Abuse
Well after taking 9 days to move a 50 gram package 130 miles (stupid DHL) I got the paste. I could not remove the cooler because I had apparently damaged one of the plastic pins. So I removed my motherboard (oh what fun) and got it off from underneath. I then cleaned both the die cooler and examined the cooler to see if it was in fact bent. It turned out it was very very slightly concave. So slight that I ignored it. I applied the compound on the die as described by arcticsilver.com and after yet more pain, suffering and swearing, got the cooler back on (for the last time ever, the pin is so damaged and warped, it will never go back on).

Never before has that single beep from the system speaker sounded so good.

Anyway, now my computer is idling at between 38 and 41 C and it maxes at between 49 and 51 under 100% usage.:):):) And this is even before the thermal paste's setting period of some 200 hours!

Thank you all very much for your help and advice. I had printed out both these pages before the operation and they have been very helpful.

I just have one problem with that "small grain of rice" thing. The nozzle of the applicator is thicker than a large grain of rice so I had no choice!

--------
"The more we sweat in peace, the less we bleed in war."
-Patton
Joshua Marius, LeThe Oct 20, 2008, 03:00pm EDT Report Abuse

There you go! Glad you got it working :)

The nozzle of the applicator is thicker than a large grain of rice so I had no choice!

LMAO! Don't worry so much about this, you don't have to be perfect, just as long as you do not exaggerate the grain of rice, and increase it to a Pinto Bean ha ha ha :P

Joshua Marius
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.