Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 583 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 17 - 04:32pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Gigabyte No More - They've failed to deliver! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
G. G. Nov 09, 2008, 02:03am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Gigabyte No More - They've failed to deliver!
Super XP said:
I am sure Asus, DFI, Sapphire along with many others do the same thing, but at least they offer good solid support with very few problematic products IMO.

In the past, I had ----

a few of Intel motherboards (386, 486, and Pentium 90 & II-450) ... all worked from new to end (decomission) {never had to call Tech Support}

a ASUS (SiS chipset) on a P4 2.66 533fsb motherboard .... worked for 4 years from new to end (decommission) {never had to call Tech Support}

Current system I am using is a ABIT AS-8 (i865 chipset) on a P4 650 3.4 800fsb motherboard...... In the 3.5yrs I have had it..... I had to call ABIT tech support 3 times...... all were resolved over the phone... BUT... the funny or not so funny depending on how you look at it.... those 3 times I had called in... I get the same EXACT person on the phone... I swear that ABIT tech support is a one man operation... My brother had the a ABIT motherboard too and he too got the very same person everytime as well when he had to call in..... hmmmmm...

Well....... I got a new motherboard from Gigabyte.... it is a GA-EP45-UD3R.... rev 1.0.... I really hope that I'm in the boat that works.... and that I hope I dont get the pleasure of calling their tech support like you guys have royally enjoyed and estatic about..... Only good sign is that my brother's both new machines that I built for him using a GA-EP45-DS3L are still working. hope it stays that way....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Restring Nov 09, 2008, 04:33am EST Report Abuse
I just got a new EP45-UD3R board Friday and installed all the 'old' stuff from the junk P35-DS3R I have. The new board FLIES, and the BIOS adjustments are incredible.

That way I can wait around and play repair ping-pong with Gigabyte over the 'DS3R'. I know, I know; I haven't learned my lesson about Gigabyte yet.

G. G. Nov 09, 2008, 11:46am EST Report Abuse
Brian Lowe said:
I just got a new EP45-UD3R board Friday and installed all the 'old' stuff from the junk P35-DS3R I have. The new board FLIES, and the BIOS adjustments are incredible.

That way I can wait around and play repair ping-pong with Gigabyte over the 'DS3R'. I know, I know; I haven't learned my lesson about Gigabyte yet.

And after all the things you went through so far ? RFLMAO.... ahahahah..... You are gluten for punishment.. ahahahha

I just hope that when I get my GA-EP45-UD3R going that I wont have the need to use Tech Support... and that it will work for a very long time until the next build....

Brian... i'm curious... when you say that your GA-EP45-UD3R "Flies" compared to your old GA-P35-DS3R using all your 'old' components... Can you elaborate? To me.... same cpu, memory, gpu, and hdd would lend to same performance and if there are any increases that it would seem unoticed... But if you say it is indeed faster..... then I that is a good thing... But for me... anything new/current compared to my old system is going to literally "Fly"....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Restring Nov 09, 2008, 02:35pm EST Report Abuse
For the 1st ~10 months the "DS3R' system gave some great Super Pi, 3DMark03/05/06 times, and loaded windows in seconds upon boot-up. Then out of the clear blue sky it slowed to a crawl. Super Pi times tripled (slower), and 3DMark scores slowed to half or worse of what they were.

I run Kaspersky, SpywareBlaster, use the Spyware function in ASO, X-Cleaner, and Malwarebytes. Just for kicks I went to 2 different sites that specialize in analyzing HJT and ComboFix logs and they found no "bugs".

Next, I removed the CPU (q6700), RAM (2GB XM2 DDR2 1066), PSU (650watt Corsair), HDD (Seagate SATA II 320GB), GPU (GTX 260 SSC), and installed them onto a GA-P35-S3G motherboard. All of the "speed" returned. That told me the DS3R board had a problem.
I sent it back under warranty and Giga-Junk couldn't (or wouldn't) find a problem. Their brain surgeons updated the BIOS for no good reason, and sent it back.

Since then, they have told me during 3 different phone calls that they will replace it, and email a new RMA#. This hasn't happened. I bought the new Gigabyte board so I could put a computer back into service while Gigabyte is playing their games.

SuPeR Xp Nov 09, 2008, 09:19pm EST Report Abuse

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Joe Yamm Apr 06, 2009, 09:28am EDT Report Abuse
I worked as a tech in a computer shop and the top 4 failed items (never lasts more than 2 years) I saw were:
High-end gigabyte motherboards (low end gigabyte are fine)
Maxtor HDD 3.5"
(ECS) Elitegroup motherboards
Hitachi notebook HDD 2.5"

Seagate and Western Digital HDD are fine, but I did see more Seagate failures then Western Digital. But this can probably be due to the fact that Seagate has a higher market share compared to Western Digital.

Gerritt Apr 06, 2009, 08:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Joe,
Insofar as the Seagate failures, there was a time when Seagate focused on high speed, at the expense of heat, and a lot of the early 7200rpm Barracudas, and 10,000rpm Cheetahs ran WAY too hot for the average chassis, leading to a major failure issue. If you tried to stack your case at high density without some Major airflow, then the drives would basicly cook themselves.
I've stated my opinion on the MB folks back in Oct/Nov last year so I'll not go into it in as much detail as I did then, but I've found ASUS to be a very good OEM for the products that I pushed out as a VAR, and got pretty good tech support from them. Additionally they are one of the biggest suppliers to end product manufacturers in the world now, so the production line is solid from a quality viewpoint.

Thanks for the blast from the past.....
Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
SuPeR Xp Apr 06, 2009, 10:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Just to let you all know I now have an ASUS 790FX - SB750 mobo and runs like a dream, will run my DDR2 ram at DDR2-800, DDR2-1000 & DDR2-1066 NO PROBLEMS at all ;)

That's how you do it Gigabyte :P

Gerritt Apr 06, 2009, 11:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Amen Super,
But I think even the good guys are loosing sight of what makes a good product.
My latest puchase is a Asus Rampage II Extreme, and I'm still trying to figure out all of the options, I just hope it's better than the last round of ASUS offerings, or the offerings of other vendors.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
SuPeR Xp Apr 07, 2009, 01:14am EDT Report Abuse
Agreed. That mobo you have is a monster. Good Luck with it :P

G. G. Apr 07, 2009, 10:22am EDT Report Abuse
as said earlier... sorry to hear about the bad experience with GIGABYTE mb.. But as for me... I have gone through 4 GIGABYTE mb myself and have had no issues at all. The only thing I wonder if it is the way they go about designing a AMD based board or an Intel based board. Since all my GIGABYTE mb were Intel based boards (I cant vouch for the AMD base boards) and have had no issues... maybe this is the difference.. in that maybe the Intel boards are easier to design than an AMD. Maybe the AMD boards are just a little more difficult to design. But then you have all the other vendors like ASUS, MSI, DFI, and so on that are making AMD boards successfully. Maybe its the particular model/product that is the problem and not the whole company. But then again, if one have that problem product, it doesnt matter if a company has a bunch of great products because at the time, all we care is about the one bad product that we purchase with our hard earn dollars. It's just food for thought and thats all.. All the features on all the GB boards that I have used have all worked as advertised and none (so far) have failed during its days of operation. My current mb GA-EP45-UD3R is working flawlessly. Even my Cosair Dominator DDR2-1066 was recognized immediately upon first boot by bios and configuring itself to the rated speed of 1066 and timings of 5-5-5-15 without any problems...

As for me... i hope i dont have to go through the issues you all have gone through... the way I see it is that... it looks like GIGABYTE does have or have produced some lame ducks product BUT that doesnt mean all their products are lame... AND this hold true for any manufacture out there too, including ASUS and others... the TRICK for these manufacture is to keep those lame products to a minimum and for us NOT be one of the fortunates that had purchased one of those lame products. And as for service/tech support.... Well..... that's a whole different ball of wax in itself beyond just the product.

-

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.