Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 663 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 17 - 04:07pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Questions 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Emeric Viani Jan 14, 2009, 12:49pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Questions
Okay, so on first boot up when I log in to the BIOS it will allow me to do the update since it'll recognize my USB stick plugged into the computer. Got ya.

You listed chipset in your order of things - is that something I update or what ? I don't think I've ever done that before. Thanks for all the advice in the meantime!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Restring Jan 14, 2009, 02:09pm EST Report Abuse
Chipset Drivers............

Here's the link (if you have motherboard revision 1):

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2916

G. G. Jan 14, 2009, 05:00pm EST Report Abuse
Chipset drivers is just one file... it lays down the drivers for all of the controllers in the NB and SB, PCI-e and stuff. Stuff that are separate from this are LAN, onboard audio, raid software, and utilities. But the order of install that I mentioned is my preferred path.

As for updating your bios....

1. get the latest bios from Gigabyte, unpack, and put it on a USB thumb drive.
2. plug the thumb drive in one of the usb ports on the rear panel
3. power up
4. hit DEL key to get into bios

you can poke through the bios setting if you like

5. at the main bios page, hit F8 to enter Q-Flash utility
6. choose update bios from drive

You can look at your user manual for further clarification on the process... its actually easy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Emeric Viani Jan 16, 2009, 09:36pm EST Report Abuse
I must be cursed...

Okay, so the build looks great and I'm ready to test it out. Here's my problem.

When I power the system on, everything powers on and I get the boot beep and all that jazz. The one thing that I noticed on first boot up was that my CPU Fan didn't turn on right away. Everything else turned on (all the other fans) and this just didn't move. So I plugged in another fan to see if it worked (this is the fan on the heatsink) and....well same deal. So I put the supplied Intel fan that came with the CPU and ...same deal.

So - I flicked the fan and it reacted and finally turned on. I did the same with the others. Now, when I turn the computer on, all the fans turn on EXCEPT the CPU fan, but after the beep, the fan kinda starts spinning like "oops I forgot" and starts spinning and starts up.

Now, on my old comp I remember all of them turning on right away and not having an issue like this...but this seems weird - and a bit unsafe.

I have an OCZ StealthXStream 600 W power supply and I had to connect the 2 CPU 4 pin connectors into the motherboard (since this takes an 8 pin). Everything is secured on the motherboard and the fan header is plugged in correctly (obviously cause it turns on eventually, just not right away).

Any advice from anyone ? I really don't think this is normal but some of you have this board so maybe you can advise me...

And...I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heastink on my CPU.

Thanks guys! I want to check out this computer right away I just don't want my CPU to explode if the fan isn't doing what it should be!

micro Jan 16, 2009, 10:22pm EST Report Abuse
Thats the same thing my cpu fan does on the same board. I also tried multiple fans and none of them start up untill after a second or 2.

EDIT:
For those of you who have already oc'd this board. Do you need to go through all the bios to oc, or can you just raidse the cpu fsb and the bios compensate?
I have seen 2 different answers.
Here is a link for what to change in the bios, but im only going for a 3 gig oc, so the simpler the better.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/new-build-ga-ep45-ud3r-28920/

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, 2600k @ 4.0
16 gig Corsair Vengeance
Evga gtx 260 216, samsung 2253lw"
Baracuda 7,200.12 CoolerMaster 212 +
Win 7 64, fsp fx700-gln, Razer DA,G15
Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid
Silence in the face of evil is it's self Ev
Emeric Viani Jan 16, 2009, 11:48pm EST Report Abuse
micro said:
Thats the same thing my cpu fan does on the same board. I also tried multiple fans and none of them start up untill after a second or 2.

EDIT:
For those of you who have already oc'd this board. Do you need to go through all the bios to oc, or can you just raidse the cpu fsb and the bios compensate?
I have seen 2 different answers.
Here is a link for what to change in the bios, but im only going for a 3 gig oc, so the simpler the better.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/new-build-ga-ep45-ud3r-28920/

I don't think I'll OC this seeing as how I really don't know what I'm doing and would feel more comfortable having someone SHOW me (in person) how to do this..

Thanks for responding. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Do you think it's normal that it doesn't start right away? Is anybody else besides the two of us experiencing this ?

G. G. Jan 17, 2009, 12:01am EST Report Abuse
Emeric and micro......

I really never noticed that before .... But I guess I wouldnt because when I built my system, instead of using your typical Heatsink Fan setup..... I used water/TEC cooling system that has a waterpump (i.e. Coolit Freezone).... hence no external fan for me to see the delay startup....

BUT..... that got me curious... sooooooo....

I got a fan out... unplug the water pump.... connected the traditional fan and laid the fan next to the computer... fired up the system... and sure enough... the same fan turn on delay is on my system as well.... it's like hit the turn on button... say " 1000, 1001, 1003 " .... and the fan turns on and run as normal.....

Here are the current settings in bios that I am using in the "PC Health" section of bios.

Reset Case Open [disabled]
CPU Warning Temp [70C/158F]
CPU Fan Fail Warning [Enabled]
Sys Fan2 Fail [Disabled]
Power Fan Fail [Disabled]
Sys Fan 1 Fail [Disabled]
CPU Smart Fan Control [AUTO]
CPU Smart Fan Mode [AUTO]

If any place in bios that I would gander that might possibly have affect on that CPU Fan would be in the PC Health section of the bios...

I wonder if by changing the two Smart Fan settings would make the fan react differently...

You might wanna try those two settings to see if it makes a difference... For me.... I cant really do that for any length of time since my cooling is tied to a water pump and if the pump is not turning... well... no water is flowing... But you guys are using the traditional fans will see the result right away...

I think this is normal for this motherboard... it's only 2~3 secs.... I dont believe this will have any ill effect on the cpu. Just as long as the fan comes on and going full speed or at least the speed you wanted it to go that is important... I think we are ok...

Micro....

In regards to OC'n... it is all in the M.I.T section of the bios... the first choice at the top of the main page..

Just start raising the FSB slowly to the desire speed.... Once you hit a unstable spot... back it down to one or two knotch... then if you want to go further... add a little bit of Vcore

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Emeric Viani Jan 17, 2009, 01:09am EST Report Abuse
G. G. said:
Emeric and micro......

I really never noticed that before .... But I guess I wouldnt because when I built my system, instead of using your typical Heatsink Fan setup..... I used water/TEC cooling system that has a waterpump (i.e. Coolit Freezone).... hence no external fan for me to see the delay startup....

BUT..... that got me curious... sooooooo....

I got a fan out... unplug the water pump.... connected the traditional fan and laid the fan next to the computer... fired up the system... and sure enough... the same fan turn on delay is on my system as well.... it's like hit the turn on button... say " 1000, 1001, 1003 " .... and the fan turns on and run as normal.....

Here are the current settings in bios that I am using in the "PC Health" section of bios.

Reset Case Open [disabled]
CPU Warning Temp [70C/158F]
CPU Fan Fail Warning [Enabled]
Sys Fan2 Fail [Disabled]
Power Fan Fail [Disabled]
Sys Fan 1 Fail [Disabled]
CPU Smart Fan Control [AUTO]
CPU Smart Fan Mode [AUTO]

A quick update before I go to bed and try again tomorrow...

I think I fixed the fan thing. I'm not 100% sure but I will triple check tomorrow that it happens during all boot ups. I read something on Tom's Hardware after G.G.'s post (above).

Basically, for those of you with a heat sink like the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 (or however it is), you need to change your CPU Smart Fan Mode to PWM as opposed to Audo. For CPU Smart Fan Control, leave it on Auto because it adjusts according to temperature. If you disable it, the fan will run at full speed the entire time.

On a side note, the ram timings, voltages and speed have been recognized by the motherboard without any issues and I know this was a cold boot, but it's refreshing to see the processor at a cool 23 degrees idling on boot up as opposed to 33-35 like I'm used to on boot up and idling...

Thanks for the help and more updates tomorrow!

Emeric Viani Jan 17, 2009, 05:58pm EST Report Abuse
Alright, well I have officially reinstalled Windows XP, done all the updates to the computer, reinstalled all the drivers I needed to do and now I'm reformatting my other drives before doing fresh installs of Sony Vegas Pro, Pro Tools and some other DAW applications. So far so good, the temperature hasn't really gone above 23C, but that is probably because the basement is cooler than usual. Everything seems to be running fine once I'm Windows and so far the multicore hasn't shown it's true colors - although I suspect it'll be different when running Pro Tools and other applications.

Is there anything that I should be doing in Windows to optimize it for better performance? I don't want to lose ALL my visual goodies, but what kinds of background services should I cut to improve performance?

Thanks for everyone's help in the meantime, everything appears (and sounds) to be running pretty well right now. Finally - a successful build!

micro Jan 17, 2009, 06:26pm EST Report Abuse
As far as making xp run better. Imo it runs pretty sweet. I only ever change a couple of settings listed here.
http://tinyurl.com/y6q9cz
I run the msconfig to keep the # of processes down. I also just do a couple of the "regedit" to make programs close faster. (they are listed in the guide).
With just the basics running in xp you can be down to 18 processes, some people go lower. (not including antivirus,internet etc..)

I use adobe rather then sony vegas. According to adobe forums you get a 10%-12% boost in video editing programs by running a 64 bit os. Plus you can utilise more ram using a 64 bit os.

You can run this program "core temps" to watch the temps on all 4 cores constantly.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I havent really seen much if any increase in installing programs or running them going from my 165 opteron to this build. But in rendering time i have noticed about a 40% faster render time.

But grats on the new build :)
I hope that this answers your questions.

16 gig Corsair Vengeance
G. G. Jan 18, 2009, 10:35am EST Report Abuse
Emeric and Micro

guys, did you try to messing around with those two parameters in PC Health Status section of bios? I tried different combinations and still have the same results with the cpu fan header... where there is a ~2 sec delay before it would fire up. I think this is normal...... so I reverted back to my original setting of Auto and Auto

-
micro Jan 18, 2009, 11:07am EST Report Abuse
I didnt bother as i figured "what can it hurt".

I was having trouble oc the board though. I couldnt get more then 268fsb out of it. I read a few forums and Newegg where i bought my board and ram. It said to manualy set your ram timings and voltage. That fixed the problem.

Also it was taking me 45 min to install any os (i posted this in a different thread). I then found that you only use the purple sata for raid, not for roms. I figured "these are so close to the dvd roms, they must be ment for it". Duh... i knew that the purple sata's were 150's, not 300's. Even at 150 it should have worked fine, but just be sure to just use the yellow sata's.

16 gig Corsair Vengeance
Emeric Viani Jan 18, 2009, 12:32pm EST Report Abuse
G. G. said:
Emeric and Micro

guys, did you try to messing around with those two parameters in PC Health Status section of bios? I tried different combinations and still have the same results with the cpu fan header... where there is a ~2 sec delay before it would fire up. I think this is normal...... so I reverted back to my original setting of Auto and Auto

I think that I may still have a delay, but I'm hoping that my setting change makes it for the better in the long run. The one thing I'm not sure about, and you may have this issue too, is that if you hit "CPU FAN FAIL WARNING" and enable it - that when you first boot up, because the fan typically won't "turn on" until after the beeps (at least for me), I get a really long annoying beep. Then if I reboot my computer (where it doesn't shut down at all), I get a normal beep. I'm assuming that because when you restart a computer it never fully shuts itself off, that the fan still stays on. But, if you boot it cold and have the CPU fan warning enabled, you get a nasty noise (obviously because right when you turn on the computer, the fan doesn't fire up until after the boot beeps).

G. G. Jan 18, 2009, 01:36pm EST Report Abuse
Emeric

ummmmmm, you get beeps???? ummm... I dont.. I didnt notice it at all until you mentioned about the beeps.... So I reset/boot my system both cold and warm and I dont get any beeps at all... maybe they were cost cutting and left the beeper thingie off my board.... or some joker that was getting paid .50 cent an hour missed putting the beeper on my mb. hmmmm

But in any case... if my board has a beeper... it does not beep and dont know if it is supposed to at this point... but my settings for fan alarms are as follows.... enable alarm for cpu fan and disable for all other fans...

but my mb seems to be doing ok...

my cpu temp in Gigabyte ET6 reads 17Cidle
my cpu temp in bios reads 16~17C
my cpu temp with Real Temp v2.70 utility reads 31~32idle and 40~43load
my cpu temp with Hardware Monitor v1.12 utility reads 35~36idle and 47~48load

so really dont know which one is really the actual or correct cpu temp..... hmmm

-
Liquid Shadow Jan 18, 2009, 01:49pm EST Report Abuse
G.G. I thought that beeps come from case speakers that's connected to the motherboard headers? So in your case may not have a case speaker, that's the case with my case.

--------------------------------------------------------------
ADK 1Q AR Laptop
Core i5 520M | 4GB RAM | ATI HD4570
G. G. Jan 18, 2009, 02:57pm EST Report Abuse
Liquid....

Blow me down.... I bad... I first thought that the beeps comes from those little black round piezo speakers that are mounted on the mb..... I went back to look at my mother board and indeed you are correct that the beep should go to the Case's speaker and this speaker is then connected to the mb... Now I remember that back during the build... my case did not have a speaker and nor a speaker wire to hook up to the mb.... and since these were not available... I didnt hook them up.. ahahahahah..... guess that is why i dont get the beeps... ahahaha... maybe it is a good thing... maybe later on i'll find a speaker from an old case and install it in my new case... heheheh

-

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.