Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1472 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 21 - 11:41pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Projects /

Finally.... G.G.'s New Computer :) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
B Feb 04, 2009, 10:42pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Finally.... G.G.'s New Computer :)
That is one amazing looking build. Very nice config + pictures.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dr. Peaceful Feb 04, 2009, 10:59pm EST Report Abuse
Excellent build, G.G. I think I remember your black on yellow case mod a while back. Glad to see you finally "stuff-it-up". ;)

G. G. said:
... The kids will go from small e-client Intel 1.8ghz, 512mb, and onboard video to a 3.2ghz Intel, 1GB mem, and ATI AIW9800pro... The Mrs and kids will see a nice preformance increase, especially the kids...

Sucks to be your kids, LOL j/k. Even with the "upgrade", Socket 478 is 5 years ooooold, man! ;)

G. G. Feb 05, 2009, 11:29am EST Report Abuse
Thank You :) Mot, Brendan, and Dragon !!!!

Mothow,

Yes, I think I made the right choice to pick the AAL over the AAK WD 640gb... at the time of my purchase, the AAL's were only 5.00USD more and for this little increase in price, you get two processors on the interface vs just one, you get 32mb cache vs 16mb cache, and a 5yr warranty vs the 3yr warranty... The additional 2yrs of warranty, total 5yrs, was a no brainer for the purchase.

Brendan,

it's a long time in the making.... Now that it is built and reading to except all my "real" data... the system is all ready being obsolete by Nehalem... hehehehe....

Dragon,

Yeah, it feels great to dust off the collecting dust on the case and stuff her. It is a build that was long in the waiting. Actually, the case was the first item I purchased for the new build..... but that purchase was almost 1 yr old now...

Dragon, Peaceful said:
Sucks to be your kids, LOL j/k. Even with the "upgrade", Socket 478 is 5 years ooooold, man! ;)

yeah it would be "if" they were 15yrs and up and they were into ET Quake, CoD4, BF2, or similiar..... LOL BUT.........

So maybe you could donate a quad proc, 4gb mem, 2 x 4850 in crossfire, 700w psu and a mb to make it all happen to my kids... I'm sure my 5yr old and 7 yr old would be so greatful.. heheheh ;) Actually... come to think about it... I had mentioned that they will be going from a onboard video to a AIW9800pro.... need correction... they are actually going to a AIW X800XT.... that is because I have a total of two off those cards. Besides the one that is in my retiring system, I had obtain the second X800XT somewhere along the way....

So yeah, heheheheh.... I believe that a " 5yr old " Socket 478 3.2ghz Intel Northwood, 1gb DDR-400, ATI AIW X800XT is going to be enough for usage of PBSKids.com, NickJr.com, BRATS.com, Barbie.com, and learning games like JumpStart, I SPY, etc..... oh yeah, there are also educational and family/kids dvd movies.... Believe, me... for their ages, it will be a big upgrade from the system they are using now... heheheh...

Now when both of them reaches ages 15yrs and above..... and depending on what their likes at the time.... their computing needs may or may not have to be adjusted... But for now.... until that time comes.... I have a few years before I have to really consider the power needs of their pc systems... But as a parent... that few years is going to blow by so fast and before I know it... that time will be here before I know it...

Leastcomp !!!!!

You out their? Hey.... are you getting that mouse in your little one's hands yet? It's about time... both of mine started to use the mouse at 18 ~ 20 mths.. Let PBSkids.com be your helper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
G. G. Feb 05, 2009, 08:26pm EST Report Abuse

Meats and Finger pulling out their tape measure to see who's bigger....... LOL......

Guys... I just purchased CoD4..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
G. G. Feb 05, 2009, 08:54pm EST Report Abuse
If any of you that are near by a Going Out of Business Circuit City store and are interested in a tuner card...... They have the same tuner card as mine, Pinnacle PCTV HD, but for 55.99 USD..... When I got mine it was 79.99 USD. --- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-detai...CatId=1427

so here is your chance to try it out for a price that is 30.00 bucks cheaper than when I purchased mine..... Go checke out all your local Circuit City stores to see if they have it..

-
wlk Feb 06, 2009, 08:54am EST Report Abuse
reinstalling cod so we'll soon see whos best :P

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
MSI K9N Platinum SLI
4Gb Corsair XMS2 DHX 4-4-4-12 (2 x 2Gb)
1 x 500Gb Seagate 32mb cache
2 x 200Gb Maxtor HDD's
1 x 512Mb BFG 9800GTX+ OC
630W Coolermaster PSU
22" Samsung 2232BW Monitor
Supreet Virdi Feb 06, 2009, 01:59pm EST Report Abuse
Congratulations on your new computer, G.G. :)

Plug & Play Feb 06, 2009, 02:05pm EST Report Abuse
FingerMeElmo87 said:
CoD4 noobs :P 5-Stars of awesome right here ladies. whenever you want it, let me know

You are meant to help us not exploit us Fingers!!!!! Still I am so covert I am only posing as a NOOB when in reality I am John J Rambos INSTRUCTOR....:xD >:o

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
G. G. Feb 06, 2009, 02:35pm EST Report Abuse
Thank You very much Supreet. !!! you blown out your ears yet from that high power auto-sound system ???

-
Zero Mar 05, 2009, 09:34am EST Report Abuse
Hey G.G.

Congratulations on the new build...certainly a major jump from the P4.

I am building a new system for a friend of mine...and I am really having hard time
choosing the video card. A lot of choices are in the market with all kind of pricing segments.

Yesterday, I caught a ATI 4870 1GB GDDR5 with an excellent price. In my opinion, it doesn't get better...4870 is probably the best choice, especially in our markets.

Now, I have two questions...
First, How hot is it running? Is it really that hot? 90C hot?

Second, I have noticed on some forums that some 4870 owners are reporting freezing problems
and sudden black screens....others reported hang ups and BSODs. Is it the case with you?
Have you encountered any errors or problems with the 4870?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your new build and good luck.
:)

-------
Intel Core i7-2600K.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 285
4 X 4 GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
2 X WD 320GB @ 7200 RPM
2 X WD Green Power 1TB
2 X WD Green Power 2TB
OCZ GameXstream 850W
G. G. Mar 06, 2009, 10:08pm EST Report Abuse
ZeroMAX said:
Hey G.G.

Congratulations on the new build...certainly a major jump from the P4.

I am building a new system for a friend of mine...and I am really having hard time
choosing the video card. A lot of choices are in the market with all kind of pricing segments.

Yesterday, I caught a ATI 4870 1GB GDDR5 with an excellent price. In my opinion, it doesn't get better...4870 is probably the best choice, especially in our markets.

Now, I have two questions...
First, How hot is it running? Is it really that hot? 90C hot?

Second, I have noticed on some forums that some 4870 owners are reporting freezing problems
and sudden black screens....others reported hang ups and BSODs. Is it the case with you?
Have you encountered any errors or problems with the 4870?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your new build and good luck.
:)

Zero Max,

Thank you very much my friend... So far my system is doing GREAT.

In regards to your questions about the 4870........

Well I guess it depends on which ones you get... But I'm sure folks had issues with the particular model that I got too... just as any company will have certain amount of "issues" with their products...

With that said....

I am definately enjoying my purchase of the Sapphire HD4870 1gb w/non-reference cooler. I have never had any issues what so ever from day one of my build. Non of the issues that you had mentioned. When I built my system, CAT 8.12 was what available. So far all my games works great and smooth. I am running Vista x64. Again, I have had NO issues with either software, drivers, or hardware.

As for Temps..... The so reason I chose this particular Sapphire 4870 is for the non-reference cooler. I have heard/read that the ATI reference cooler is only adequate and that card runs on upwards of 80~90C loaded and with the squirl cage fan, it can get really loud.... To me this is way to much.... I have heard that the cooler from Sapphire really does an excellent job of bringing the temps down. I can stand here to tell you that it is absolutely true. With my office temp at a steady 21C and the cooler's fan set to 40% (pratically silent)... my Sapphire HD4870 1gb idles @ 45C and loads @ 53C. They say that the 4870 can run up to 80~90C while loaded and that it is normal and it can handle it.... Poppy c**k I say.... not if you want to keep the card more than a years time... To me, the cooler that you can run a piece of silicon, the better for longevity and reliability....

If you are looking to get a 4870.... YES... do it.. but I would recommend you either get one with a non-referrence cooler or get an aftermarket cooler to replace the ATI reference cooler. Within the span of 2.5 months since I purchased mine.... the pricing has dropped 60.oo bucks.. I say it is definately a good time to buy one.

-
Zero Mar 14, 2009, 06:53am EDT Report Abuse
hey G.G.,

thanks for your reply...that's a great help. I needed a word on that card from someone
I could trust. I am going to recommend the card to my friend for sure.

sorry for not replying earlier...I've been very busy last week and on top of that my
internet service was out for the last 4 days...

anyways, thank you again and have a nice day. :)

-------
Intel Core i7-2600K.
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 285
4 X 4 GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
2 X WD 320GB @ 7200 RPM
2 X WD Green Power 1TB
2 X WD Green Power 2TB
OCZ GameXstream 850W
G. G. Mar 16, 2009, 12:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Zero,

You're very welcome...

If your friend decide to get it.... let me know how it works out for him...

By the way.... just to let you know that if you upgrade from your Intel 640 and 6800GT to a Core2 quad say either a Q9550/Q9650 and a HD4870 1gb.... it is a huge jump in performance as I did an upgrade to Q9550 + HD4870 1gb from a Intel 650 and X800XT...... excellent jump in performance.... Pricing should be great at this tech point due to the newer stuff that are and will be coming out.

but since I have now upgraded.... the next time will most likely be after several generations of cpu and gpu.... LOL...

-
FingerMeElmo87 Mar 16, 2009, 03:01pm EDT Report Abuse
G. G. said:
Meats and Finger pulling out their tape measure to see who's bigger....... LOL......

Guys... I just purchased CoD4..

i'm taller.

whenever you want it G. G.

Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.41Ghz w/ Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
G.Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-15
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
VisionTek HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
500GB Seagate 7200.12 - Windows 7 RC1
Hiper Type-R 580 WATT PSU
G. G. Mar 16, 2009, 03:15pm EDT Report Abuse
We got to get CoD4 HWA only going one day.. lol....

-
FingerMeElmo87 Mar 16, 2009, 03:33pm EDT Report Abuse
G. G. said:

no kidding. it someone had a spare pc lying around we could do it since running a server doesn't require anything more than the game itself. . . you still have your old pc don't you?

Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.41Ghz w/ Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
G.Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-15
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
VisionTek HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
500GB Seagate 7200.12 - Windows 7 RC1
Hiper Type-R 580 WATT PSU
G. G. Mar 16, 2009, 04:03pm EDT Report Abuse
Unfortunately my old pc is gutted/dismantled.. and no longer have an OS.... I am in the process of reconfiguring it for a second life for my kids..

by the way.... im clueless when it comes to making a game server... what does it take to make one... obviously you need a system... but since you said that it only take the game... how do you go about telling the game you want to set up a game server... is there some configuration within the game and how do you let others know how to get to the server? Like most others, I'm just the user that goes to the server to play the game... Plus how much hardware does it take to make it worthwhile for others to join into the game so as they dont lag...

Oh by the way.... I think I got my 7yr old daughter hooked on HALO... ahahahahah.... she does surprisingly well for her first time on a pc fps... hahahah.... she still got to get use to the three finger movement keys on the keyboard and the mouse combination thing. ahahah... but everytime I am on HALO.... she is right there with me now and after a certain point she says... daddy .... MY TURN!!!!! LOL.... Oh boy.... the wife gonna kill me for this... ahahahah...

-
mothow Mar 16, 2009, 05:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey G.G have you OCed that Q9550 yet?If so how well does it OC?Im thinking i should of saved my self $100 and went with Q9550

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
G. G. Mar 16, 2009, 11:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Tommie.... unfortunately i have not OC'd my Q9550 yet so I cant tell you what she can do... I have only OC'd my HD4870 but since then I have put her back to stock settings... Dont worry about your Q9650.. I'm sure she will clock well... Hey... Plug has a Q9650 too and I believe he has his at 3.6ghz... betcha you can do 3.8ghz if you have well enough cooling for it.....

Oh by the way..... this evening... my 7yr old daughter made her first retrieval/point in getting the flag back to base in Blood Gluch map of HALO... ahahahahahah Pretty good when this is about her 4th time playing HALO on my pc. After the point... she was jumping up and down screaming " I did it ".... LOL ...... OH no what have I done now... LOL there were a total of 10 players in the map at that time... wife gonna kill me when she gets back from being out of the country.. ahahahahah

-
B Mar 17, 2009, 02:32pm EDT Report Abuse
G. G. said:

I agree. :)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.