Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 487 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 29 - 01:28am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Pirate Bay verdict ... guilty (Google steps up!) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
B Apr 22, 2009, 09:12pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Pirate Bay verdict ... guilty (Google steps up!)
The site is still going to be up...They didn't even get all the members of the website.

Even if Pirate Bay does go down, there are a handful of other good BT sites.

The entertainment industry needs a better idea if it wants to stop piracy.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Apr 22, 2009, 09:51pm EDT Report Abuse
Brendan Gonsalves (57301) said on Apr 22, 2009 at 06:12pm PDT:
Even if Pirate Bay does go down, there are a handful of other good BT sites.

Public trackers are too slow anyway ... I've just always liked them because they're so defiant.

john albrich Apr 23, 2009, 10:07am EDT Report Abuse
TamTheBam said:
The Verdict is a complete farce!

Unfortunately Ginsberg (on the bench of the SCOTUS) believes foreign judgments should affect SCOTUS rulings.

Therefore a "farcical judgment" by a foreign court/judge could have tremendous impact on US court and US Supreme Court decisions. My concern is that the SCOTUS is supposed to rule on the constitutionality of US laws with regard to the US Constitution and nothing else.

It's not a popularity contest and SCOTUS judges should not ever factor-in whether their rulings will be referenced by a foreign court more times than rulings from other countries like Canada, nor whether their rulings are "consistent" with rulings in foreign courts.

http://sayanythingblog.com/readers/entry/ginsburg_scotus_shoul...ign_courts
"SCOTUS Should Rely On Decsions By Foreign Courts"

<a class= Apr 23, 2009, 04:45pm EDT Report Abuse
This is bigger than just some other MPAA case. This is the fight that determines if it's illegal to provide torrent links on your website or not. Based on the outcome of this case, it will be determined for all ze internets.

This is where we stand.
This is where we die.
..or not.

Beavis Khan Apr 23, 2009, 05:01pm EDT Report Abuse
sovietdoc said:
This is bigger than just some other MPAA case. This is the fight that determines if it's illegal to provide torrent links on your website or not. Based on the outcome of this case, it will be determined for all ze internets.

This is where we stand.
This is where we die.
..or not.

It would be a little easier for me to make a stand if it were really about defending fair use rights, but let's be honest here, the Pirate Bay and related trackers are 99% about free music, movies, and software. The right way to react to overpriced content is to refrain from buying it, not to steal it. For honest people, the Pirate Bay case is pretty much a lose/lose proposition.

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
<a class= Apr 23, 2009, 05:22pm EDT Report Abuse
For me, torrents were always about being able to share my files with friends / public, without going through these awful sites with their complicated systems like mega/rapid share and etc.

My iPod is loaded with music from iTunes store because the whole 1 click sync is just easier, plus they don't cost that much.

I realize that illegal app/music/movie sharing is a big thing now but don't blame torrents. Torrent is just a delivery system, if you want people to stop pirating your apps, just do it the old fashioned way, supply and demand. Bring the prices down so people can actually afford it. Or / and blacklist keys so people can't get updates and etc unless they have legit key. There are thousands of ways, again, don't blame torrents for your own silly mistakes, and use your head instead.

Photosop CS4 $699 What the...F@#!

Beavis Khan Apr 23, 2009, 05:54pm EDT Report Abuse
sovietdoc said:
Photosop CS4 $699 What the...F@#!

*shrug* A qualified professional can easily make a hundred bucks per hour using PS. If you want image editing capabilities and don't want to pay for it use Paint.net or something. If enough people simply don't buy PS because it's too expensive, Adobe will drop the price eventually. If people pirate it instead, they won't - and they'll lobby congress/WIPO/etc to pass retarded laws. Pretty simple. No one has a "right" to set their own price for PS.

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
Apr 23, 2009, 06:01pm EDT Report Abuse
Beavis Khan (65477) said on Apr 23, 2009 at 02:54pm PDT:
If you want image editing capabilities and don't want to pay for it use Paint.net or something.

+ GIMP and Inkscape. :_)

Gerritt Apr 23, 2009, 09:34pm EDT Report Abuse
I can't say that I've never used a bittorrent site, but if I have, it has been many years in the past. I can say that I've never been one to profit from piracy. There may have been times in the past when I did not pay for an application, but I've never profitted from the application unless I paid for it. When some applications cost between 500-5000, or even more dollars, you can't expend that as a small business owner, or individual, just to find out if it is applicable to your needs. If it is, you pay for it. On the entertainment/gaming side, there are huge numbers of titles out there, and being able to "try them out" is a huge gain over having to shell out $50-80, just to find out that you don't enjoy them.

So, OK, I "get" it. I understand why torrents exist.

Now, as pertains to Priate Bay, all I can say is.....These guys have balz the size of watermelons!!!! See: http://thepiratebay.org/legal
Back in 2004 they exhibited thier precentinence when they said something about comming back in 5 years (now) after the courts delt with it, and then they told the lawyers and soliciters to sodomize themselves with a 21" implement used by riot police. They've not changed much over the last few years, so I have to give them props on their attitudes.

New today is the Pirate Bay Relief fund, or something of the sort, headed by some of the founders of Pirates Bay as well as the Green Party within thier country: http://msn-cnet.com.com/8301-1023_3-10226118-93.html?part=msn-...p;tag=feed
(sorry for the long link, maybe someone can tiny it for me)

All I can say, is that though I support intellecual rights, the laws and the lawyers associated with them, are totally outdated, and full of excremetntal matter, and are so full that it starts to spew from thier mouths, and through thier e-mails.

I have actually been on the recieving end of this spew, and though I responded a bit more professionally, did express some of the same viewpoints......I was never contacted again, nor prosecuted, it was bogus, which is what the four in Sweden have maintained for a period of years, and will probably never suffer from, as long as they have good lawyers paid for by the Green Party.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Apr 23, 2009, 10:39pm EDT Report Abuse

Gerritt Apr 23, 2009, 10:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Is Norstrom also on the board of directors for goat.se?
If so, then the use of the ASP is more apprapro....

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
john albrich Apr 24, 2009, 06:07am EDT Report Abuse
Maybe what we need is TEA PARTIES for software to protest the high prices?

I can see it now...MILLIONS of people...err, tens of thousands of...err, some number of people disguised as penguins lining up and throwing their US$400* copies of Microsoft Office 2007 Professional into Lake Sammamish.

*US$20 if you buy it from a China software house (saw the ad while searching!)

<a class= Apr 24, 2009, 02:11pm EDT Report Abuse
I love reading pirate bay replies to the emails they've received. Kinda like this one, in response to DreamWorks:

As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States
of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe.

http://static.thepiratebay.org/dreamworks_response.txt
lawl

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.