Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1493 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 01:14pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Re: 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Dr. Peaceful Feb 07, 2010, 12:16pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: McFly's Laptop Quest 2010
Are you working for HP G.G.? LOL ;)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
G. G. Feb 07, 2010, 12:34pm EST Report Abuse
Dr. Peaceful said:
Are you working for HP G.G.? LOL ;)

LOL.... i'm just looking at the spec sheets.... heheheh

Hey... just giving him solutions.. The only quirk he has with the HP is that they went to the 16:9 ratio.... He also originally spec'd a 14" and complained they didnt have 1440x900 res that had the LED lighting...

Well.... the solution to his perdicument is to upsize the screen size to 15"... it still has the 16:9 ratio but I believe by doing this that the "squishy" view would be less apparent and with the larger screen size and he now has the option of two different larger screen resolution with LED lighting...

In his gut... he knows he wants the EliteBook due to its past reliability/quality being top notch. If he settles for anything else... it will be second best and he will always have that wonder feeling of ... " I should have stuck with the EliteBook " ... You should always stick with your gut feeling... usually it is right most of the time.

Now if his gut feeling was the same but with any other brands........ he should stick with them as well... BUT...... in this case with the EliteBook.... it would be a decision of second best to the EliteBook... LOL............ :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Feb 09, 2010, 04:18pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re:

~Vel Feb 15, 2010, 12:44pm EST Report Abuse
I'd have to go with the T410. IMO it's not worth spending 500+ just to save 1.09 pounds, plus the weight difference from the UltraBay. My 13" MacBook Pro is 4.5 pounds and I carry that, plus 3 textbooks and two notebooks, plus my charger around campus most of the day. I can guarantee you, that 1 pound difference would be negligible, and the money would be better spent on a more comfortable backpack (if necessary) and a notebook sleeve.

Feb 15, 2010, 07:10pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re:

~Vel Feb 15, 2010, 07:50pm EST Report Abuse
If you haven't already, it would probably be worth it to find out if Lenovo will ship you a system without an OS for cheaper.

Feb 16, 2010, 12:18am EST Report Abuse
>> Re:

~Vel Feb 16, 2010, 12:41am EST Report Abuse
Yeah, I know that Dell has also allowed for it in the past (before they started shipping computers with Ubuntu).

Dr. Peaceful Feb 24, 2010, 11:26pm EST Report Abuse
McFly, did you get your laptop yet?

I've got a first look at a Lenovo SL410 (part of Thinkpad 410 series), what a beauty! The SL is a lower model than the T, but still it's much improved. Better looking exterior design and buttons layout not only, the display quality is also much better now. It does use a glossy screen surface, but doesn't seem to be too reflective. The rubbery trackpad feels pretty good. Battery doesn't stick out as much as before. It's built with quite durable plastic, spill proof keyboard, too. The SL does look a bit thicker than the old T400. The lid is not latched, just use tension hinges, typical for SL (T uses latch). Expect similar improvements to the T410. But I do like the exterior of the SL better. Worth a look!

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-sl410-intel/45...l?tag=rnav

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPort...y#tabstart

PIRATE Feb 24, 2010, 11:32pm EST Report Abuse
As a proud owner of a Lenovo I can vouch for them.

Toshibas are horrible, we fix them on a regular basis because of the same problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 6400 2.1ghz / ASUS SLI Deluxe / 4gb DDR2 800 G.Skill / ATi Radeon HD 3870 512mb OC / 7 years old Seagate Barracuda 160gb 7200
Feb 25, 2010, 02:32am EST Report Abuse
>> Re:

Mar 30, 2010, 11:32pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re:

BoT Mar 30, 2010, 11:39pm EDT Report Abuse
there is a nice review on anandtech about T410

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Mar 31, 2010, 12:19am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re:

~Vel Mar 31, 2010, 01:00am EDT Report Abuse
Well, I'm looking at the customization page for the E6410, and holys**t is the entry model basic. No webcam, 1GB of RAM, illuminated keyboard is $50, and to top it off, something I thought was standard now-a-days: Getting a DVD drive with R/W is a $50 add-on.

I think price may determine your buy on this one, personally I'd be more swayed to go with the T410. To be fair, the Dell comes with a 3 year warranty as standard, but come on.

To put this in perspective, a T410 at the base model would come with a R/W DVD drive, 2GB of RAM, and a 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive will cost you $1038 before shipping (I extended the warranty to 3 years on the T410 and selected the 6 cell battery to match the E6410). In contrast, a E6410 with the same specs would cost you $1114 before shipping (With a 160GB 5400 RPM HD. 250GB is available but at 7200 RPM). Drop down to the basic warranty with the T410 and it's $938, so you're paying $175 extra for the Dell, and the ThinkPad still has it on the storage end.

Sure you can swap out the drives and buy more RAM, but you're no doubt paying more in the end for the Dell any way you cut it.

G. G. Mar 31, 2010, 10:01am EDT Report Abuse
They gonna get ya.... nickle'n and dime'n you to death....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
~Vel Mar 31, 2010, 12:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Here's the product page for the E6410, it's up but nothing on their site links to it.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/latitude-e6410/pd...&cs=04

Dr. Peaceful Mar 31, 2010, 03:33pm EDT Report Abuse
One thing I noticed only recently is that business class laptops have very rich BIOS settings, especially in security settings. Something you don't see in cheaper consumer laptops, and desktop for that matter. Here is my side by side comparison between a Dell Latitude and a Lenovo Thinkpad regarding security and diagnostic BIOS features. I couldn't find a business class HP for comparison. This may help your decision a little bit, McFly, as well as a good general info for everybody.

- Dell Latitude E5500 -
The BIOS interface for the Dell is graphical. It has rich color and you can use mouse to navigate. This is because it's from a setup partition (from Hdd?) instead of directly from the BIOS chip. It is very user friendly due to graphical interface, and very easy to find things due to the settings tree layout.

The Diagnostic portion is separate from the BIOS. The diagnostic checks included checking the optical disc drive, video card, LCD monitor, memory (short or full test), and HDD (short test only).

Security feature from BIOS including: Admin and User password for BIOS, internal HDD password, allow/disallow user BIOS password changes, allow/disallow non-admin setup changes, TPM (Trusted Platform Module) security, Computrace, CPU XD (no execution) support. (There is not finger print reader for this Latitude, if there is will see some BIOS features for finger print reader.)

In addition, the Dell also have System Logs in the BIOS. It can log every time when the BIOS's settings are changed, every time if there's diagnostic and overheating problems, and every time the user power up the laptop. Yeah, it gets a little excessive, but as long as you have the admin right to BIOS, you can clear these logs.

- Lenovo Thinkpad T400 -
The Lenovo's BIOS is of basic colors and keyboard navigated, as what BIOS would commonly look like in a PC. No mouse navigation here, no pretty colors and radio buttons to click. But it just as functional to any hardcore geeks. ;)

Only one diagnostic option, it is a full HDD check. That's it.

Security features: BIOS admin and user password, able to set complex pass phase and set password length requirement, HDD password, finger print settings (including setting to require finger print to get pass BIOS at boot up), security chip settings, memory protection (no execution), Computrace, and able turn on/off access to every I/O ports in the laptop board.

This laptop also have Intel Management Engine BIOS extension (separate from BIOS). So it gives IT even more control over their asset.

---
So as you can see the Lenovo has a bit more security features than the Dell. The Dell however has a more user friendly BIOS and more diagnostic features.

If you happened to have a business HP laptop to check the BIOS, please add your findings here. Thanks, I am interested to know.

- edit to add logging features in Dell's BIOS.

Mar 31, 2010, 06:58pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re:

Apr 09, 2010, 03:54pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re:

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.