Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 945 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s May 24 - 08:43pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

Help with a new VGA Cable! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
G. G. Mar 12, 2010, 10:54am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Help with a new VGA Cable!
Michael C said:
............. I mentioned the original cable works without issue and when I switch cables, the problem occurs. There's nothing wrong about the way I'm hooking it up. I have a DVI/HDMI cable but I don't use it because as G.G said, I use that port for my PS3.

When I looked at your monitor at Newegg .... in the picture it shows that the monitor came with

VGA cable (vga at both ends)
VGA to component cable (to be conneced at the end of the VGA cable and then to TV)
DVI to HDMI cable
power & sound cables

when you say "the original cable works without issue and when I switch cables, the problem occurs"

do you mean that you used the VGA cable that came with the monitor and it works but when you switched to another (different) VGA cable then the problem occurs ????

OR

do you mean that you used the DVI to HDMI cable and it works but when you switched over to the original VGA / new VGA cable, it does not work ????

If the original VGA cable that came with the monitor works..... Why are you buying a new VGA cable? You should be using the original VGA cable that came with the monitor.

*** note ***

I know I sound like I am going round in circles..... actually i'm starting to feel like as if i'm going in circles.... LOL

But the reason I am asking about your statement "original cable works without issue".... i'm trying to determine if it is the VGA cable or DVI to HDMI cable that works......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael C Mar 12, 2010, 11:00am EST Report Abuse
When I switch the VGA cable for another VGA cable it happens. The original barely works, it was fried by my heater. I haven't even opend the DVI/HDMI cable yet.

G. G. Mar 12, 2010, 11:09am EST Report Abuse
Michael C said:
When I switch the VGA cable for another VGA cable it happens. The original barely works, it was fried by my heater. I haven't even opend the DVI/HDMI cable yet.

wow... the heater fried the cable... doh.... good thing it didnt catch on FIRE....

How bad was the burn?

maybe ...... you know..... depending on how the way the heater burnt the cable.... there is a possibility that this may cause some degregation/damage, i.e. shorts, either back at the DVI to VGA connector and or either end back on the card's DAC converter or even at the monitor end.

You might wanna hook up that DVI to HDMI cable just to make sure that the monitor can still do 1920x1200.. well at least for the HDMI connection to the monitor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Dr. Peaceful Mar 12, 2010, 12:32pm EST Report Abuse
Everyone pretty much have suggested all the possibilities. Try connect the monitor to another computer (preferably with an actual VGA port) with the same VGA cable.

If that works with full resolution, it will rule out both the cable and the monitor as the problem, meaning it's something from your PC side (software, bad port from card, or bad DVI-VGA adapter).

If that does not work, it will rule out your PC. Then try the same cable on another monitor, if that still don't work, you can then conclude it is the cable itself.

john albrich Mar 12, 2010, 01:06pm EST Report Abuse

Remember that as mentioned earlier not all computers or video cards with a VGA connector output will support the 1920x1200 resolution you are worried about. So, when testing your hardware with a friend's computer (or friend's video adapter in your computer), you still have to make sure his computer/adapter VGA output itself supports the full 1920x1200 resolution...You need to verify the hardware specs...otherwise as far as your problem is concerned the tests won't tell you the full story about your PC, DVI2VGA adapter, cable(s), or monitor.

Dr. Peaceful said:
Everyone pretty much have suggested all the possibilities. Try connect the monitor to another computer (preferably with an actual VGA port) with the same VGA cable.

If that works with full resolution, it will rule out both the cable and the monitor as the problem, meaning it's something from your PC side (software, bad port from card, or bad DVI-VGA adapter).

If that does not work, it will rule out your PC. Then try the same cable on another monitor, if that still don't work, you can then conclude it is the cable itself.

Dr. Peaceful Mar 12, 2010, 04:14pm EST Report Abuse
John, you're right. You need something with the same res to test, otherwise it's inconclusive.

Anyway, forget VGA, Michael. Just get one of these HDMI switch, you are good to go!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1688275402...-_-Product

mothow Mar 12, 2010, 06:22pm EST Report Abuse
I couldnt get the VGA port on my HG281 to work right either.I forget what res it was defaulting to.But i remember it looked likes**t.I had to use the HDMI port.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
Michael C Apr 20, 2010, 10:05pm EDT Report Abuse
I was back at this once more...

I tried 2 VGA cables and 2 VGA-DVI adapters and the issue still persisted. Tried both ports on the videocard. I had a DVI-HDMI cable lying around so I used that, and it works perfectly BUT my monitor only has 1 HDMI port so that means I can't use my PS3 at the same time as my PC - this sucks as I have to unplug it every time.

I have a weird idea but am not sure if it will work, here it is:

1) Use DVI to HDMI cable
2) Use HDMI to DVI adapter that I have - plug this end into DVI videocard port.
3) Buy DVI to VGA adapter seen below and plug this end into my monitors' VGA connection port: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999901

All the ports line up perfectly but will it work? ;)

Michael C Apr 24, 2010, 07:03pm EDT Report Abuse
Bump, will this work? ^

Dr. Peaceful Apr 25, 2010, 04:10am EDT Report Abuse
God damn, man, you still trying to figure this out??!

Get a HDMI switch, problem solved! ;)

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.