Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 600 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 17 - 11:11am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Question of The Day (? #1) - "Wishes" 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
john albrich Feb 26, 2010, 03:46pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Question of The Day (? #1) - "Wishes"

I decided to reduce the 3 wishes to exclude "and" qualifiers...as technically those might be considered multiple wishes. The end results and my reasoning for them are now revised. I also assume wishing to be a god is disallowed.

I think my 3 wishes pretty much cover virtually all contingencies while adhering to the letter of the "3 wish" scenario.

1) Ability to at any given space-times alter the space-time of my death/"moving-on".
(I think this by definition effectively yields immortality, and that I can change my mind at any space-time).

2) Ability to at any given space-times safely move my entire being to any space-time.
(means I can escape any confinement or painful situation, or even relocate to some space-time in our planet's history if necessary (in case earth is or is about to be destroyed by an asteroid, supervolcano, war, gamma ray burst, etc). Since "at any given space-times" identifies multiple single instantaneous events, the prior use of the qualifier "instantly/instantaneously" would be redundant)

3) Ability to at any given space-times safely change my biology.
(This takes care of any aging, infirmity, disease, injury, etc). And, combined with item2 I believe this effectively renders me safe from being imprisoned or tortured and from continuing to be pursued by whomever regardless of technological changes. It also means I can continue to retain full physical health and mental faculties, keep the memories I want to keep and delete those I don't, and more. Since "at any given space-times" identifies multiple single instantaneous events, the prior use of the qualifier "instantly/instantaneously" would be redundant). Note that by removing the qualifier "and safely change my legal identity" from the original wish, life could be made more difficult unless humans are always creative/sneaky enough to find some way to establish new legal identities as needed and circumvent identity controls. However, with item2 and item3 one could if needed "grow-up" as a child-orphan having been found in some catastrophe with a new completely legal identity provided by state.

Now all I need is the damn Genie!!!

OLD WISH LIST
1) Immortality with infinite memory capacity and total instantaneous selective recall and with ability to choose place and time of my death/"moving-on"
(and if possible add into the wish to never be pestered by some lame-ass "ghost whisperer" or Ghost Hunters, etc)

2) Ability to at any time and place instantly and safely move my entire being to any space-time

3) Ability to at any time instantaneously and safely change my legal identity and biology

edit: I realized item3 made part of item1 redundant
"with completely healthy 25 year-old human male body"
I'm still considering whether "safely change my biology" by default includes immortality (e.g. would the "at any time" aspect in item3 mean that even if my head gets blown-off would I still be able to heal myself by changing my biology?)

edit: Re item1, I also think that by being able to choose the time and place of death, by definition is effectively immortality. So, wishing for immortality may therefore be redundant in the first wish.

edit: I realized item3 previous ability to "and (safely change) appearance" is redundant to being able to safely change biology

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
DarK_SlayeR Feb 26, 2010, 04:14pm EST Report Abuse
1.) 2011 Ford Mustang, custom paint job, full options package, the V8 version, with a scary sounding exhaust system.

2.) $20,000 per month income in a job I actually want (exploring space Star Trek style), with a solid company (United Federation of Planets).

3.) A girlfriend.

(>_<)

-------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ stock
Asus P5Q Pro P45
2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb Superclocked
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
DarK_SlayeR Feb 26, 2010, 04:15pm EST Report Abuse
Double post ftl

-------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ stock
Asus P5Q Pro P45
2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb Superclocked
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
G. G. Mar 02, 2010, 09:59pm EST Report Abuse
Oh.... almost forgot that I need to wish for my wishes..... heheheh

1... WELL... money is always got to be on the list...just a given.. money does make things easier.... so I wont be too much of a pig... I wish that for every dollar I spend, my bank account gets deposit that amount times two with NO ties to IRS... So if I spend 600 bucks on a video card, my bank account gets a deposit of 1200.00 buckaroos... buy a 40K car.... get deposit of 80K... heheheheh

2... Language... yup... I wish that I can speak/read/write and language fluently as if I was born with it that is from this world, any world of this universe, and of any worlds from any dimension.. LOL.... english, japanese, spanish, latin, arabic, alien, klingon, or whever it is I can speak/read/write it.... ahhahahah...

3... Free the Genie, but with this pardon, there is a fine print that he gives me and my family emortality to age as much or as far as we would want to and stay at that age.. Hey... we need to be able to have a long life to spend all that money, to interface with all those different languages of this and other worlds...

heheheh

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Meats_Of_Evil Mar 02, 2010, 11:25pm EST Report Abuse
John, your unnecessary long post brought back this sudden urge for me to watch the movie The Order with Heath Ledger. It's about these priests who exorcise demons and are looking for a being called "The Sin Eater" which is a supposedly immortal being who can pardon any sin and grant the passage to heaven for any soul he chooses.

So after re-reading your post I kept thinking, of all the posts yours seems to have reached the most "perfect" God like status, which I'm convince you actually took some time to think about your wishes lol. So now ask yourself, knowing that you can do practically anything do you think you would be the kind of "character" that longs for death after achieving such god like status?

I like this subject and these kind of movie. How would a GOD feel about himself? Now think about it John, try and acknowledge how it would feel to be all so powerful for such a long time.

I wouldn't mind if you took even more time to think carefully what to write, this is a cool idea you sparked after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
john albrich Mar 03, 2010, 05:34am EST Report Abuse
Meats_Of_Evil said:
...How would a GOD feel about himself? Now think about it John, try and acknowledge how it would feel to be all so powerful for such a long time....

I'm Tweedledee, he's Tweedledum
Two spacemen marching to a drum
We slithe among the mimsy toves
and gyre amidst the borogoves.

Mar 03, 2010, 01:16pm EST Report Abuse
A ThinkPad, Latitude and an EliteBook so I could finally f**king decide between the three.

PIRATE Mar 03, 2010, 01:29pm EST Report Abuse

Thinkpad, McFly. Im telling you. My wifes came with Vista, got rid of thats**t and put Win7 on it, runs great!

Dark-Slayer... Lol. Wishing for a gf wont make it happen. Unless you want Plug's number.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 6400 2.1ghz / ASUS SLI Deluxe / 4gb DDR2 800 G.Skill / ATi Radeon HD 3870 512mb OC / 7 years old Seagate Barracuda 160gb 7200

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.