Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 714 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 03:02pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

Nvidia GTX470 & 480 review released 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Dublin_Gunner Mar 29, 2010, 04:14am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Nvidia GTX470 & 480 review released
Plug & Play said:

Nah Tom, this is poor card. It was released purely for PR damage. The re spin of this generation will be a fine card, this is just to save face.

I would much prefer a Vapour X 5870 that would clock even better....with the heat from the FERMI any overclock would be woeful.

I think its appaling TBH...and you can forget about a X2 version it would power a city in its current state. If and I mean IF it was priced really aggressive you might be tempted but asking more for a card that BARELY outperforms a card 6mths older and with more power and heat is a JOKE!

I certainly wouldn't call it a poor card by any stretch of the imagination.

It did what it was supposed to and expected to do.

480>>>>HD5870, 470>>>>HD5850

And SLI scaling with it is superb.

Its a very advanced card, with very advanced features. That fact that it doesn;t do the 'basic' stuff 10x faster than rv870 comes as no surprise to me.

Instead of looking at average / max fps on the tests, look at the minimum - it absolutely thrashes the DH5870 in just about every benchmark. And that is HUGE imo.

Also, check out its tessellation performance - its multiples faster at complex tessellation over rv870.

Anybody who thought Fermi was going to stamp all over the HD5970 must be seriously deluded. Not once have we seen a single GPU overtake a dual-GPU card within the same generation.

This is not to say Fermi doesn't have its drawbacks - mostly in terms of power consumption and heat.

Its a HUGE GPU, with billions of transistors, and its built on a new process for Nvidia, so this will get better. It could do with a better stock cooler though - and leaving the heatsink exposed is downright dangerous.

I think its a good card, priced as it should be, but doesn't perform miracles.

What were people expecting?

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Plug & Play Mar 29, 2010, 09:30am EDT Report Abuse
LEntless said:

The drivers will get better than ATI's will...fermi isn't even out yet! Pretty stupid statement.....but we'll see.

[edit]

IMO, the heat this card gives off actually scares me a bit...lol.

How is that a stupid statement!!!

There has been only one decent driver released for the 5xxx series cards IMHO the 10.3, the majority of other have been terrible with hotfixes released straight after the driver. Never stable......So what I am saying is that not only the nvidia drivers will get better. The ATi drivers are still very much immature too yes after 6mths especially for the 5970 and NOW only starting to get better.

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
Suspended User Mar 29, 2010, 10:03am EDT Report Abuse
For the time it took for Fermi to arrive, it is a little disappointing. And like everyone else has said, heat and power is a joke really.

Price will be the game changer, and going by Nvidia's history, they'll be pricey, again, that will be another reason not to go Fermi.

GTX480:

Drawbacks:
HOT AS HELL
huge power consumption
6 months late
expensive

Positives:
faster than the 5870, but not by alot

5870:

Drawbacks:
not quite as fast as the 480
form factor ( meh not really that bad )

Positives:
cheaper
cooler
less power
more overclocking headroom

Meats_Of_Evil Mar 29, 2010, 01:25pm EDT Report Abuse
Dublin_Gunner (64526) said on Mar 29, 2010 at 05:14 ADT:

Its a very advanced card, with very advanced features.

Well, they all are if you think about it although Fermi's marketing was all about the calculations this card could do. I hope it comes through. In the benchies on Tom's site I saw they enabled a CUDA something option on Just Cause 2 which made the water simulation and something else looked better or more realistic. I haven't seen a comparison on how it looks though, but if this is any signs of the advantage that programmers can come up with then in the future Nvidia will have a better edge I believe.

Yeah this card is a monster. This reminds me a lot of the position Ati was years ago, when they launched the 1900XTX I believe it was or the 2900xtx which was the ultimate power hog and it only managed to beat the competition by not a lot, just like in this case. Looks like the tables are reversing now. Unless Nvidia can match a solid price point then I'm afraid Ati will have the edge on this one, heck I wouldn't even buy these cards right now, they look like a way too raw design for me. I'm sure it will get better though.

EVGA has prices but I'm sure they are way over what Newegg will sell them (as always):
GTX480 - $499.99 USD
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1480-AR

GTX470 - $349.99USD

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=012-P3-1470-AR

Not even a $280 card :angry:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
Michael C Mar 29, 2010, 01:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Well I've debated about getting a 5850 and came up with the conclusion that it's just not worth the money. If you look closely at benchmarks you'll find that the 5850 only gives(roughly) 10fps more than the 4890. My card is clocked past 4890 speeds at this point so it looks like a pointless upgrade for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit in my case.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3650&p=5

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850/7.htm

DarK_SlayeR Mar 29, 2010, 02:30pm EDT Report Abuse
I think I'll stick with my 8800. Not impressed enough with these new games to justify the cost, or heat.

-------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ stock
Asus P5Q Pro P45
2GB x 2 Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066
eVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb Superclocked
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Michael C Mar 29, 2010, 02:32pm EDT Report Abuse
DarK_SlayeR said:
I think I'll stick with my 8800. Not impressed enough with these new games to justify the cost, or heat.

If I wasn't a running a 28" monitor I would be saying the same thing haha.

Meats_Of_Evil Mar 29, 2010, 04:21pm EDT Report Abuse
3 years is the magic number for upgrades I say. Well for those itching to buy something anyway, I guess the real number would be 5 years so you can really make a jump in technology.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
Bungle Mar 29, 2010, 05:58pm EDT Report Abuse
Meats_Of_Evil said:
I wouldn't even buy these cards right now, they look like a way too raw design for me. I'm sure it will get better though.

I think you're right... It just doesn't feel like its all it was supposed to be. GDDR5 chips are supposed to start coming in 256MB modules later this year too (right now they're 128MB) which means the refresh on this card will probably be a 512 core, 3GB, cooler, higher clocked version. That will probably be the one to buy.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
<a class= Mar 29, 2010, 07:05pm EDT Report Abuse
After reading numerous reviews and checking out the bechmarks I think I'll pass this generation completely until they release 512-bit models. The speed upgrade just ain't worth 500 bucks atm.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.