Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1208 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s June 12 - 08:24am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

XP RAM drive??? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Starbuck Jan 28, 2008, 03:50pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: XP RAM drive???
Okay, here's the deal. I signed up just to answer this post but it looks like a cool forum. I am trying a program that allows you to make a Ramdrive for 2 weeks before it charges for it. I built a box with 4 gig of ram. I have disabled paging but get blue screens when some badly written program wants a swap file. I have also noticed that even with this much memory Windows INSISTS on using a couple of hundred meg idling away as a pagefile so I am using the extra ram as a swapfile on a ramdisk. I'll keep you posted since I'm a gamer and the games require a LOT of resources. So far so good.

Now, how do I get to my profile so I can quit using my name?
:blush:

Ken

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
FingerMeElmo87 Jan 28, 2008, 04:08pm EST Report Abuse
Kenneth Mauder said:

when you're log in, on the left go to

community then member profile

Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.41Ghz w/ Zerotherm Nirvana NV120
G.Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-15
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
VisionTek HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
500GB Seagate 7200.12 - Windows 7 RC1
Hiper Type-R 580 WATT PSU
Starbuck Jan 28, 2008, 06:15pm EST Report Abuse
FingerMeElmo87 said:
Kenneth Mauder said:

when you're log in, on the left go to

community then member profile

Thanks.

Starbuck

angryhippy Jan 28, 2008, 08:04pm EST Report Abuse
Starbuck said:
I have also noticed that even with this much memory Windows INSISTS on using a couple of hundred meg idling away as a pagefile so I am using the extra ram as a swapfile on a ramdisk.

Ya I'm trying to figure that one out too. I have page file disabled both in the system properties app and in the registry, and I'm constantly showing around 700MB's being used when I look on the task manager performance page. pagefile.sys isn't even on my system. WTF?

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Starbuck Jan 28, 2008, 10:32pm EST Report Abuse
I fought with that last night for quite some time. Windows kept putting a 3.5 GB pagefile.sys on my C drive. I had to hack the registry and set a minimum and maximum swapfile of 40 MB on C and re-enabled the ramdrive swapfile. I'm using Ramdisk plus for desktops which has a 2 week trial period with full functionality. So far not even a hiccup. I paid good money for this Ram and by God I'm going to use it. :D

PS
I built a system with:
AMD 6000+ Dual Core
4 Gig DDR2 800 6400 Dual channel Ram
Nvidia 8600 GT
DVD burner
CDROM Drive
500 Watt PS
160 GB Sata 2 HDD

I had it built for $650 at computerlx.com. I've built my last 10 boxes and I couldn't build that one for the price of the parts. It don't do nuttin slow.:) I wanted the 8800 GT but got the 8600 and it does a great job. Wanted the AMD 6400 Dual Core but settled for the 6000+.

Starbuck Jan 29, 2008, 12:18pm EST Report Abuse
Update:
Right now I am writing this with all of the MS Office apps open and a total of of 13 other major apps open and the only swapfile I have is the one on the Ramdrive. The PC is still quite rapid.

Starbuck

Starbuck Jan 30, 2008, 04:05am EST Report Abuse
I found a free version of the program if you want to experiment. Works great
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/free-ramdisk-for-wind...03-server/

Just followed the instructions and I made a 750 MB swapfile on virtual drive W:\.

Starbuck

angryhippy Jan 30, 2008, 06:13am EST Report Abuse
OK I'm having a bit of a problem with this RAMdisk thing. It stores data on a virtual drive that resides inside of the memory. Then when you turn off the sys the data is lost. So how do those guys use the ramdisk for those really really fast boot ups in those videos If you're booting won't there be no data on the drive swap file whatever? Unless I'm missing something (which is always a high possibility at 3AM).

Get Hippied out!
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Bitmap Jan 30, 2008, 06:16am EST Report Abuse
Payton, I believe those are special PCI-type cards where you put in sticks of RAM, and it stores the data permanently.

Here's a review on AnandTech from 2005.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
angryhippy Jan 30, 2008, 06:21am EST Report Abuse
OH OK so I'm mixing up apples and oranges. Got it. I'll peruse that link thanks.

Get Hippied out!
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
john albrich Jan 30, 2008, 07:36am EST Report Abuse
Bobby said:
Payton, I believe those are special PCI-type cards where you put in sticks of RAM, and it stores the data permanently....

That's the kind of RAMdrive I'd like to have. With memory costs so very much cheaper than a couple of years ago, these RAMdrives should be DIRT CHEAP...no more expensive than a disk controller card (without memory sticks) ...but for some reason...they aren't.

I wouldn't even mind one that didn't have battery backup...as long as I can save an image to a backup file on a regular disk, restore that image as needed, and subsequently re-boot off the RAMdrive again...as long as I don't remove power in the interim. However, battery backup or independent access to a small UPS or external gel-cell battery would be preferred.

It would make booting, and all the various program caches and the swapfile many many times faster.

Starbuck Jan 30, 2008, 12:57pm EST Report Abuse
Those RAM cards are loaded with the Operating System which is either backed up by battery or is non-volatile ram which is why they boot so fast. If, on bootup the hard drive has to be accessed to load the OS then there is no fast boot. I thought about getting one but just the card is so expensive! I have the RAM to fill it (DDR PC 2700) but since they are the only card makers they ask an exorbitant price. Hopefully somebody will also start making the cards. I looked at my Win XP folder and we would need 4 GB of ram to hold it. I have no idea how big Vista is but I'm sure it is bigger. For now I'm just happy with a ram swapfile so my hard drive is rarely accessed during operations. The price is right too.
;)

Starbuck

john albrich Jan 30, 2008, 02:59pm EST Report Abuse
Starbuck said:
Those RAM cards are loaded with the Operating System which is either backed up by battery or is non-volatile ram which is why they boot so fast. If, on bootup the hard drive has to be accessed to load the OS then there is no fast boot....

If a RAMdrive uses Non-Volatile RAM (NVRAM) then there are two main issues:
1) NVRAM is a LOT slower than volatile RAM.
2) NVRAM has a finite write-cycle limit. While this is higher than it used to be even a few years ago, it is still finite and using NVRAM for a system disk will result in very accelerated device failure.

As for the booting issue...
I'm willing to put up with the extremely infrequent need to re-load the RAMdrive with a backup image of the system disk (what I name as a "hard-restore") in order to eliminate the cost of an on-card battery back-up system. That removes ANY excuse to make the RAMdrive card more expensive than a normal disk controller card.

My primary system UPS provides at least 30 minutes of off-mains operation. This is more than enough power to permit an image of the RAMdrive to be copied to a hard disk so that I could recover to a controlled point the RAMdrive was at during the power failure scenario.

A RAMdrive hard-restore and re-boot is ONLY required if mains power wasn't restored before the UPS was depleted. It's ONLY at those instances that force an unplanned re-boot from a complete 100% power-off state that would require first re-loading the RAMdrive from a hard disk image and then re-booting off the RAMdrive. Such an unplanned situation would occur perhaps once every couple of years. Other instances would occur only if I have to power off 100% to change the system hardware configuration or for planned power-off maintenance. All other re-boots would be from the RAMdrive because power would have never been removed from the RAM, and memory would remain intact. The entire recovery sequence could be automated.

edited-to further clarify a couple of points

edit to add--BTW, even with on-card battery backup, you're going to need a "hard-restore" mechanism of some kind in place anyway, so this isn't adding a lot to the environment. Any on-card battery power sub-system may fail, become depleted, or need to be regularly replaced at some point for preventive maintenance. A "hard-restore" capability will be required at those times. Further, if an on-card battery power-subsystem is required for data integrity, it actually reduces system reliability by adding more possible critical path failure points to the system.

Starbuck Jan 30, 2008, 03:38pm EST Report Abuse
Funny, in all of my research I found that the USB "SpeedBoost" has that finite number of writes to it. It was a surprise to me. You would think that something with no moving parts would be almost infinite but not so. I also have a sizable UPS on my system and it comes in handy far more often than I'd like. Power glitches etc..

Starbuck

john albrich Jan 30, 2008, 04:04pm EST Report Abuse
Starbuck said:
...You would think that something with no moving parts would be almost infinite but not so.....

What's insidious is that manufacturers don't emphasize the limitations (for obvious reasons) so one could even today get stuck with a FLASH drive that uses the older memory technology limited to something on the order of 10,000 (10^4) erase/write cycles. Even the better memory in use is often spec'd at 1,000,000 (10^6) cycles before failures begin to occur.

A real risk is that the memory failures can be undetectable. If you're using a FLASH drive for critical data you may suddenly find unexplained random errors (if you even detect them) showing up in your results. Debugging such errors can lead down the wrong path if you don't know about this vulnerability. I would not trust critical financial or health data to NVRAM without some independent means of verifying the data.

I would like to see multi-bit error detection and correction circuitry implemented in FLASH drives.

In digital camera images, these errors might show up in photos as unexplained "artifacts", if the error even results in a visible difference. I would imagine it often only shows up as a very slight variation in color in a given pixel...one that might not even be noticed in a 5mp resolution image.

Of course, the impact of even a single-bit error in a Windows cache or swapfile of a computer could result in some rather spectacular system failures.

Arquero Feb 01, 2008, 01:03pm EST Report Abuse
A Lucas said:
Arquero said:

I thought AMD's 64-bit CPUs would force Intel to follow suit and make 64-bit mainstream. This just didn't happen.

You are joking. right? You wrote this in Dec 2007 and you are saying that Intel has not made 64-bit mainstream? What do you think a Core 2 Duo is??? A 64-bit dual core processor made by Intel based on the Intel x86 architecture and has been in use by computer manufacturers for over a year. Apple's OS X and Microsoft's XP 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, Server 2003, and Server 2008 run on the Intel 64-bit Core 2 Duos, Core 2 Quads, and Xeon multiple core processors.

Before you open your mouth, do a little research.

I think you horribly misunderstood me, and I don't like to me misquoted out of context. 'I thought' signifies past tense. These computers were built years ago back when AMD had the edge on CPUs (before Core 2 Duo). I thought that Intel would follow suit much sooner than they did as I also thought the rest of the market would. If you read earlier posts I have used WinXPx64. And I will say it again...

There is one program that has a USBKey that does not like WinXPx64, otherwise I would have used it when I built the computer.

And if you read my previous posts... I have 4GB, but I am limited to WinXP Pro 32-bit. If you do some research (or just read previous posts) you'll see the problem. WinXP 32-bit only recognizes a maximum of 2.75GB. But even with that setting, I have some performance issues, so I have been forced to bring it down to 2GB. I'll do the math for you... 2GB is now wasted, sitting in my computer collecting dust. That's half! Now, if I can't use that RAM as standard RAM, would not using it as a pagefile (emulating a HD) be the next best thing? I'm not giving up precious RAM as I cannot utilize it anyways. The pagefile is basically emulating RAM. Do you see where I am going with this? Obviously not so I'll spit it out for you:

I want to utilize the 2GB that WinXP Pro 32-bit refuses to as the pagefile. Since I have applications that will use more than the 2GB I have, I am forced to use the pagefile system anyways.

To quote a member of this site:
Before you open your mouth, do a little research.

Also, please refrain from useless posts that do not advance the subject.

For my contribution, I will try that program that Starbuck has suggested. I will also try yet again to see if the most recent driver for that USBKey will now work in WinXP Prox64.

Arquero

Starbuck Feb 01, 2008, 02:53pm EST Report Abuse
As stated, my Win XP reports 3 GB of Ram when in reality there is 4 GB. I made a 750 MB ramdrive swapfile and the PC is humming along quite nicely. I even picked up some points in some benchmarks. No blue screens, less HDD access. So far I believe that I have achieved what I wanted: more ram used with at least 3 GB for Win XP and programs to play in. I even put my temp files on the ramdrive so I never have to clean them out. I play a lot of memory thirsty games like FEAR and HL2 and not evn a glitch and shorter load times.

The testing continues but so far I couldn't be happier.

Starbuck

Tech Mar 01, 2008, 07:44pm EST Report Abuse
My thanks go to Arquero and Starbuck for addressing the (non-)use of the full 4GB of RAM. In reply to this last message, I wanted to ask whether your machine is actually using the unused RAM, since in my machine, the 768MB RAM drive comes out of the 3.2GB RAM I started out with... That does not help me much. Should I use any specific settings in the registry to use the unused higher RAM between 3.2 and 4.0 GB?

You help is (once again) much appreciated!

Tech

Starbuck Mar 01, 2008, 09:49pm EST Report Abuse
My PC still shows 3 GB of RAM on the general properties tab even though I have 4 (2 GB in slot 0 and 2 GB in slot 1). Numerically, 32 bit XP can see all 4 Gig. I just read that XP subtracts 1 GB of RAM for strictly system purposes. I'm not sure if it's true but it's comfortin'. :-) It also shows about 1.4 gig pagefile under performance in Task Manager except that there is only the one file of pagefile.sys on the Ramdrive so no idea what that's about. Rig runs great and the ramdrive seems to be working so I'm happy.

Starbuck52

shuja rahman Mar 02, 2008, 12:29am EST Report Abuse
What is RAM drive,,,is it a sort of Virtual memory.

Intel Core2Duo E6420
Intel S975Xbx2
Kingston 1x2 gig ram
120 G.B Sata 2
625 PSU
XFX 7800GT

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.