Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1166 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 07 - 06:24pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Time for a new lappy... your opinions please. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
Bungle Sep 01, 2010, 01:35pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Time for a new lappy... your opinions please.
after reading some reviews I decided I didn't want to take the hit in battery life for a quad core, the i5 dual and 5730 should give me a decent balance between performance and battery life.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dr. Peaceful Sep 01, 2010, 04:12pm EDT Report Abuse
Did you get the Cross Over cable along with your new Dell Studio? It's only $30. XD

Bungle Sep 01, 2010, 04:31pm EDT Report Abuse
oh damn I forgot that!!!

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
Dave Sep 02, 2010, 10:06pm EDT Report Abuse
Congrats on the laptop! Pleased you went with the one I linked :P. Tell me what its like!

When I got this laptop I wiped it and reinstalled the OS to rid the hard disk of the bloatware, and ever since it's been running absolutely fine, the 1920x1080 WLED screen is brilliant.

..However, if you do have issues, ring up and massively exaggerate the problem to whichever poor bastard of a technician is sat on the other end. In my experience, recently Dell have become massively concerned with customer feedback and will go out of their way to fix your issue with minimum possible inconvenience.

Grats again though, I am supremely envious! :D

BoT Sep 03, 2010, 01:34am EDT Report Abuse
Dave said:

..However, if you do have issues, ring up and massively exaggerate the problem to whichever poor bastard of a technician is sat on the other end. In my experience, recently Dell have become massively concerned with customer feedback and will go out of their way to fix your issue with minimum possible inconvenience.

because they been screwin people and businesses for a good decade and they will completely go under if they don't clean up their act at least a little bit

You can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution.
Codisha - http://www.codisha.com
Reviews - http://www.codisha.com/reviews/reviews.htm
Dave Sep 03, 2010, 11:44am EDT Report Abuse
Not really a bad thing.

G. G. Sep 04, 2010, 06:21pm EDT Report Abuse
Bungle,

You get it yet?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Bungle Sep 04, 2010, 06:31pm EDT Report Abuse
Its estimated delivery date is Sept 20 :(

Bungle Sep 20, 2010, 09:00pm EDT Report Abuse
The lappy has arrived!

I must say I am impressed so far. I was expecting this system to be loaded with crap and after turning it on the only "crap ware" on it was Mc Affee. I'm not sure if thats because the XPS stuff is one of Dell's premium lines or if they forgot but this is much better than I expected.

It feels much snappier than my old laptop (not that that is a big surprise), I'm loading up L4D as I type this to see if it can game. :) I'll report back again a little later after I see how it goes.

My only complaint so far is that the screen is glossy, I would have prefered matte but that wasn't an option and I think I can live with it.

Dr. Peaceful Sep 21, 2010, 01:43pm EDT Report Abuse
MrBungle said:
My only complaint so far is that the screen is glossy, I would have prefered matte but that wasn't an option and I think I can live with it.

You know what, originally I have no complain about glossy screen, until I borrowed a work laptop (with glossy screen) and use it outside. All I can see is my ugly reflection ;) under the Sun! It's ridiculously hard to see the actual content displayed!

So there you go, I've joined the glossy hater group, like you and McFly. ;) And my next lappy will required to be matte only.

Oct 13, 2010, 02:10pm EDT Report Abuse
Hurray for the new laptop, Bungle ... how has it been treating you?

And yeah, a glossy screen is one thing I'll never buy again. Trying to work under a bunch of overhead lights is impossible.

Bungle Oct 13, 2010, 02:55pm EDT Report Abuse
I love it so far actually, I've been very happy with it... I would be nice to have a bit faster processor for civ 5 but it seems to handle everything I've thrown at it just fine. Every game I've tried has been playable... some with reduced settings (I think my GTX480 spoiled me) but they still look good enough that I'm not feeling like im missing anything. I wouldn't trade the 1920x1080 resolution for anything it is so much more comfortable than the 1024x768 on my old laptop. :)

The battery life is pretty good too, it will run for 3 or 4 hours web surfing or playing music. Should be enough to watch a movie on a plane or something.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.